• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

Aarons, Aurier, Reggie and Sess would be a really good quartet of full backs

Yes, full-backs are one position where I hope we spend little time or effort tinkering with this summer. Many other positions need more work

That said, will be interesting to see what Jose does with Davies. Personally, I'd probably keep him for another year whilst Sess beds back in - kind of as a 5th CB and 3rd LB...and also whilst it becomes clearer whether Real will take up their option on Reggie

Yes, full-backs are one position where I hope we spend little time or effort tinkering with this summer. Many other positions need more work

That said, will be interesting to see what Jose does with Davies. Personally, I'd probably keep him for another year whilst Sess beds back in - kind of as a 5th CB and 3rd LB...and also whilst it becomes clearer whether Real will take up their option on Reggie
We won’t shift Davies
He has little value to us on paper and he isn’t a problem
Problem is he isn’t a player either but this kind of squad member do have some value

We won’t shift Davies
He has little value to us on paper and he isn’t a problem
Problem is he isn’t a player either but this kind of squad member do have some value

The fact that he can cover both LB/CB means we will likely hold for another year

LB -> Reguilon/Sessegnon/Davies -> no outs#, Rose released (contract ends?)
RB -> Aurier/Tanganga/new FB (I get giving Doherty a chance but the fact is he isn't young, we don't really play his favoured formation and we should plan for Aurier getting older) -> Doherty out
CB -> New CB (#1 priority)/Toby/Rodon/Sanchez (looks like the one of Dier/Sanchez to stay, and at 24 better bet) -> CCV (yes he is still on our books)/Dier out
CM -> PEH/Ndombele/GLC/Skipp? (Norwich look like they will get promoted now, they want him for another season, we will probably think hard on it) -> Winks/Sissoko out

Just that adjustment could mean 6 players off the books

Sure. That would get the job done.

It would be one hell of a starting point for negotiations for any team wanting to sign those players. "Yeah, we know you want X, we also know you've told the player he won't get a squad number."

Same for negotiations about us paying off some of their wages.

And then there's the consequences of a deeply unhappy player sticking around if we don't find a suitable fee somewhere.

I'd be very surprised if Levy put himself in that position with any player with any potential value in the market. Personally I don't think he should either. But I suppose there might be some hypothetical exceptions.
That assumes that all of those players would only have a single club interested in them. If that is the case then they must all be even worse than we all think.

As soon as we start instructing agents to offer players round to other clubs the other clubs know we want to sell them anyway.

I think we should sell him while he still has some transfer value. I don't think we can afford to keep somebody who should be a third choice player when funds for other positions will be key.

Aarons, Aurier, Reggie and Sess would be a really good quartet of full backs
Would be lovely but I think I read that Norwich want more than £35m for Aarons and I can't see any way that we spend anything like that on a right back.

I've said a few times that the smart buy here would be Bogle from Sheffield United. He is probably a year or so behind Aarons in his development but (IMO) has a higher upside and probably costs only 30% to 50% of the fee.

If we don't mind taking another overseas player then Denzel Dumfries from PSV could also be a good option. £15m to £20m would be likely to get him.

Last edited:
Would be lovely but I think I read that Norwich want more than £35m for Aarons and I can't see any way that we spend anything like that on a right back.

I've said a few times that the smart buy here would be Bogle from Sheffield United. He is probably a year or so behind Aarons in his development but (IMO) has a higher upside and probably costs only 30% to 50% of the fee.
And he has been a shining light for them this season

@Bedfordspurs Is Sess good enough as a defender?

I haven't watched him in Germany.
Honestly... don’t know yet
But he really will offer more overall than Davies
Look at Fulham’s left back last night. He bombed on every chance he could and it pegged us back. It’s not a bad way to be defensive by pushing the opposition back with attacking play

That assumes that all of those players would only have a single club interested in them. If that is the case then they must all be even worse than we all think.

As soon as we start instructing agents to offer players round to other clubs the other clubs know we want to sell them anyway.
I don't think it assumes that. Of course if another club puts in a higher bid it's a different story, but multiple clubs can be interested and waiting for the asking price to drop.

Yes, asking agents to try to move players on does a similar thing, but but to the same extent.

Aarons still has 3 years on his contract in the summer so going to be hard to prise away.

How has Lamptey at Brighton been getting on this season? Looked good when i saw him earlier in the season

Arsenal have been linked with him as a Bellerin replacement which I think nearly all of their fans would approve.
Lamptey got injured last year and is only just on his way back IIRC

The fact that he can cover both LB/CB means we will likely hold for another year

LB -> Reguilon/Sessegnon/Davies -> no outs#, Rose released (contract ends?)
RB -> Aurier/Tanganga/new FB (I get giving Doherty a chance but the fact is he isn't young, we don't really play his favoured formation and we should plan for Aurier getting older) -> Doherty out
CB -> New CB (#1 priority)/Toby/Rodon/Sanchez (looks like the one of Dier/Sanchez to stay, and at 24 better bet) -> CCV (yes he is still on our books)/Dier out
CM -> PEH/Ndombele/GLC/Skipp? (Norwich look like they will get promoted now, they want him for another season, we will probably think hard on it) -> Winks/Sissoko out

Just that adjustment could mean 6 players off the books

I don't see Doherty being sold after 1 year, particularly given the number of other changes which we need in other positions. Given the season he's having, replacing him would likely also mean a cash outflow...and we'll need all the cash we have for other areas

I like the quartetr of CMs (PEH/Ndombele/GLC/Skipp) but if we're in Europe and with Tn and GLC possibly playing further forward from time to time, I think WInks will stay for another year. Maybe then if White develops well, he'd replace Winks the year after

I don't see Doherty being sold after 1 year, particularly given the number of other changes which we need in other positions. Given the season he's having, replacing him would likely also mean a cash outflow...and we'll need all the cash we have for other areas

I like the quartetr of CMs (PEH/Ndombele/GLC/Skipp) but if we're in Europe and with Tn and GLC possibly playing further forward from time to time, I think WInks will stay for another year. Maybe then if White develops well, he'd replace Winks the year after

Winks has English tax, means we will get a little bit more money for him, I also think he will push to leave.

Doherty is 29, whatever the loss, we aren't going to get more money for him by waiting, I could see a mid level PL side with a 5 at back formation taking a punt on him for 8-12M. unless he really turns it around in last few months, we would be inviting a scenario where in another year we might be looking at replacing two RBs at once or very close to each other.

Winks has English tax, means we will get a little bit more money for him, I also think he will push to leave.

Doherty is 29, whatever the loss, we aren't going to get more money for him by waiting, I could see a mid level PL side with a 5 at back formation taking a punt on him for 8-12M. unless he really turns it around in last few months, we would be inviting a scenario where in another year we might be looking at replacing two RBs at once or very close to each other.

...we also need English squad players though. I'm not sure I see Winks leaving until he pushes to leave as you say. I think that'll be another year or so

Look at Fulham’s left back last night. He bombed on every chance he could and it pegged us back. It’s not a bad way to be defensive by pushing the opposition back with attacking play
But did you see Robinson when we scored? He could easily have run back with Alli and Kane to help the defence out, but he just jogged slowly and left the defence to it, hence Alli and Kane overloading and forcing the ball in. Crazy from a "defender" to act like that when we are breaking onto their goal, embarrassing for the lad really.

Back