1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

*** Tottenham Hotspur - Arsenal OMT ***

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 30 Aug 2013.

1. Mumorn

Mumorn Vic Buckingham

I actually think against Norwich he'll go:

............Sandro....Paulinho......
    Lamela.......Eriksen.........Chadli
    ..................Soldado................

I don't feel I am reading too much in Dembele being subbed off early in the most games, I feel AVB knows he isn't playing at his best right now. Eriksen will no doubt play against Norwich, I hope he starts personally, but we know how AVB is and bedding in new players. Lamela is sure to start, infront of home fans.

2. DHSF

DHSF Les Ferdinand

In general whilst we control the play we aren't doin much with the ball and most definitely AVB NEEDS to sort out the support for Soldado.

We are not creating much at all

3. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

What a **** day and result!

Can the very rational amongst you who went to the match or watched the full match live on TV give me any bones of positivity to take from the game?

From the 60 odds minutes I heard on the radio, it sounded like we were not as fast to the ball as they were and almost pedestrian in comparison?

4. Mumorn

Mumorn Vic Buckingham

Positives:

Lloris is class.
    Sandro is back and is class.
    Lamela plays for Spurs.

5. NorwegianSpursFan

NorwegianSpursFan Allan Nielsen

Even though we're not creating to much these days, I think the fact that we've gone to the Emirates and had more possesion than Arsenal is a positive sign. They usually dominate possesion, but our midfield, dire as they were, never let them hold on to the ball.

6. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Thanks; we seemed to lack pace in midfield by the sounds of things; is this true and if so, is it a worry?

7. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

After a slightly shaky start in the opening 5 minutes we looked fairly solid up until the goal. We had more than our fair share of possession and looked more settled and comfortable. The goal changed things significantly, they could sit back, defend fairly deep and counter attack whilst we had to push forward as the game developed.

Despite this they didn't create a hell of a lot of chances. Nowhere near as many as we've seen them create in the past under similar circumstances at least.

The main thing lacking for us was movement and passing tempo. With the way the game developed I think you can imagine what it looked like based on last season. Our front 3 quite simply didn't get the ball in enough good situations to create the chances we want to see. We were largely limited to some crosses, but unfortunately we weren't good enough at getting into the box and our crosses weren't good enough.

The main positive to take from this is that we were far from outplayed, although 2nd best, away against a good team. Most here agree that as we get the new boys settled in and see the return of Kaboul and Sandro to the starting lineup after their injuries we'll see the team improve in the lacking attacking phases as well as in overall quality.

8. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Thanks for the detail. Should we be worried that when we had to chase the game we seemed continually to be vulnerable on the break?
    Also, our attacking movement seemed too slow and allowed them to get men behind the ball according to commentators. Why would this be in your view?

9. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Being vulnerable on the break is just a fact of football when you push forward, that's why it's so advantageous to be able to sit back and attack on the break. I think with the pace and tackling ability we have in our back 4 and central/deep midfielders we're considerably less vulnerable than many other teams.

Attacking movement problems stem from a combination of a lot of things imo. Part of it will be that it's still early for many of these players, they haven't had time to work on movement patterns and their roles as much as is needed to get that attacking fluidity. Part of it is also a lack of player types on the pitch imo. We lack creativity/passing ability. Hopefully bringing Eriksen (or Holtby/Carroll) into that central trio will improve this. I'm generally very positive about AVB, this is one area where I feel that perhaps he could have done more to coach our current players though.

I also think that our back 4 aren't quite good enough on the ball. Walker and Rose both leave a lot to be desired in terms of close control and passing. I miss Ekotto personally. Vertonghen is excellent, but we end up in a situation where it's very easy for the opponents to get close to him and allow our inferior ball playing defenders time on the ball instead knowing that they are unlikely to make something happen. For me at least it will be interesting to see if this will improve when/if we see Vertonghen alongside either Kaboul or Chiriches.

10. Rorschach

Rorschach Vivian Woodward

Until we play to Soldado's strength's he almost serves no purpose. The guy looks exasperated at the service he is getting and who can blame him. I see him making the runs and doing the right things but it's rather pointless at the moment as no one has the vision or ability to execute the right pass.

We have a missing link to our attack and to me it is painful obvious that we need to sacrifice some of the midfield 'stability' in the hope that we involve our striker in our attacks. He looks totally isolated most of the time. He is not the hold-up/target man that our play seems to imply.

On the face of it today Walker and Rose had poor'ish games but they were for large parts of the match our main attacking outlets. This doesn't sit right with me. Walker hit a number of poor crosses and Rose was not fantastic with his crosses either, but at least they were giving the team some modicum of forward momentum which was sorely lacking all over the park.

The trio of Capoue/Sandro + Dembele + Paulinho doesn't feel right to me. Too much of one and not enough of the other I would say. We need a fulcrum of our attack in the centre of the park and it wasn't there today.

Eriksen, save our attack!!!!

Last edited: 2 Sep 2013
  11. Robspur12

Robspur12 Paul Stalteri

The 1-0 score line flattered us I'm afraid. Wenger got it right in the post match interview, LLoris was our best player by a mile. Our midfield having barely played any games together came up against a very well organised and tricky **** midfield. They failed to support the forwards or to get back to protect back 4. I was disappointed in AVB today more so than in another game being the derby. I agree with Murmon on the positives however.

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

I agree 1000% and I think it's 4-3-3 which is the problem

It basically means we only have 3 attack minded players where as in the prem you need a lot more than that. We look like United dud today and that was a team devoid of ideas

Inverted wingers are rubbish and just mean they become predictable as they nearly always use their best foot so can be taken out. We have the best finisher we have had in years yet we do not cross or pass to him behind the defence

We have to live back to a 4-2-3-1 systems with a real number 10 instead of 3 stoppers/hunk of burning love to use the technical term. We're a football team not a rugby one and we need to play like that.

By way I am chuffed to bits with the hunk of burning love we have signed but too many in a team that hasn scored in open play is hardly conducive to more goals!!!

13. Robspur12

Robspur12 Paul Stalteri

Oh and our get out of jail free card has gone to Madrid unfortunately. Still we have Lamela and erikson to bring into midfield.

14. diego_maradona

diego_maradona Steffen Iversen Staff Member

Arsenal are elated at winning 1-0 to Spurs.

Spurs are bitterly disappointed at losing 1-0 to Arsenal.

Expectations are changing

15. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Erm...which one..?

16. onlyme

onlyme Banned

Absolutely fantastic post that I agree with 100%.

Edit:99%. Just read it again. Dawson is not a weak link.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2013
  17. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Indeed!

18. onlyme

onlyme Banned

Nice stat.

What do points make? Prizes!!

19. onlyme

onlyme Banned

Good point.

20. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Spot on the money. We were slow ponderous and completely lacking in creativity.

Even allowing for the fact this was the NLD, the shameful thing was that they wanted it more than us. Our lack of creativity (no goals from open play in three games) and quite what our midfield thre are up to remains somewhat of a mystery. Who plays where? If Capoue is the DM then either Paline one Dembele MUST take it in turns to support Solado in the box. So often the three today were sitting far to deep and left our CM completely isolated.

From the in game comments, it seemed clear to most that Dembele was having a mare and it was crying out for Holtby (or even Sig) but certainly not Defoe. Couldn't understand that one by AVB