• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

One promoter says it's "dead in the water," the other says "the fight is on". In this week's Fight Talk we share the latest ups and downs in the Tyson Fury v Anthony Joshua negotiations.

We also look back on another eventful Derek Chisora fight week which included an awkward breakfast, a phone call from mum Chisora and a split decision which could have gone either way.

And we discuss the spectacular Katie Taylor v Natasha Jonas clash which lived up to all the hype and find out how the boxing world reacted to Sunny Edwards becoming Britain's newest world champion.

The wait goes on
The biggest all-British fight in boxing history will last a maximum of 36 minutes.

The wait for the biggest all-British fight in boxing history to be finalised feels like it has gone on for 36 years.

As another week in the fight game passes us by, the back and forth between Anthony Joshua's and Tyson Fury's representatives continues.

We were first told in June 2020 a two-fight deal had been agreed and then nine months later a similar announcement was made.

Over the past few weeks we've been waiting for that final confirmation of a summer showdown, with Saudi Arabia the likely destination.

Last week Bob Arum, who co-promotes WBC heavyweight champion Fury, said the "fight was dead in the water," claims which Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn denied.

An event of this magnitude - and with the amount of money involved - understandably takes time to get over the line, and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic has created further obstacles.

Boxing fans are not usually privy to every minute detail involved in putting on a fight, whereas with Joshua-Fury we've been educated on site fees, promoter politics, the role of lawyers, long-form agreements in the paperwork (whatever that means) and every little logistical hurdle possible.

However, the latest news is pretty positive.

Hearn confirmed both sides are now reviewing contracts for the site deal and, speaking to Sky Sports on Saturday, he said: "This fight is on, this fight is happening. I believe you'll get an announcement next week."

The promoter may be confident, but some fans are not…

_118284989_0c0de802-90aa-4545-91f2-82eac818733d.jpg

While for many the frustration is close to reaching tipping point, it does seem a fight announcement is edging (ever so slowly) closer.

And the drawn-out negotiations will be long forgotten once the bell rings, we hear the words "round one" and the two big men advance towards each other from opposite corners.

We hope.

Most of the boxing build up is just tiresome, the same for every fight. Hopefully it gets done then I can ignore all the speculation till the day.

Looking forward to it. If the Lemieux version of BJS turns up it should be an interesting fight.

Agree, that is one of the most underrated performances in years, Lemieux is a live banger and in Montreal, was unreal.

I think its alot closer than people give credit for this one. BJS antics overshadow that he is probably the most naturally gifted British boxer out there and Canelos record is hugely inflated. Not saying Canelo is not a great fighter but he had a huge number of early small hall fights rather than amateur so by the time he fought Mayweather he was already 44 and 0, I hugely contest the first GGG decision and he beat a well documented alcoholic in Kovalev. Lots of filler in there too, Fielding was in his last 5 fights and he has the benefit of being champion so loads of moody clauses like the rehydration stuff in there.

I give BJS a very good chance but may need the KO

Not sure what to make of Canelo, can't shake that he must be juicing or doing something dodgy the way he moves up and down the weights. I'd expect him to win as he's a massive puncher and BJS through his messing around has barely fought in the last few years.

Not sure what to make of Canelo, can't shake that he must be juicing or doing something dodgy the way he moves up and down the weights. I'd expect him to win as he's a massive puncher and BJS through his messing around has barely fought in the last few years.

Yeh and he is hugely protected as a fighter, like you I can't really make him out but also not taken by the hype. Like I said obviously good fighter but hard to pin down how good.

BJS was a risky proposition for Canelo, he's not faced many decent south paws. Was not as cut and dry as some previous fights.

His power punches, jeez could feel those through the screen.

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury is ready to be staged in Saudi Arabia on August 7 or 14, but promoter Eddie Hearn is 'frustrated' the fight is yet to be finalised

Fury has confirmed it's on the 14 August in the dirty Kingdom of Saudi. Why can't it be in the UK?

Because Saudi have put all the money up to make it viable. They went out loads of destinations and venues who bid on it and that was the highest bigger by some margin.

Because Saudi have put all the money up to make it viable. They went out loads of destinations and venues who bid on it and that was the highest bigger by some margin.

So a title unification fight (four belts) between two UK boxers can't generate enough pay per viewing revenue? Seems strange to me. Plus the willingness to take money from Saudi isn't right, whether it comes to arms sales or entertainment.

So a title unification fight (four belts) between two UK boxers can't generate enough pay per viewing revenue? Seems strange to me. Plus the willingness to take money from Saudi isn't right, whether it comes to arms sales or entertainment.
I guess the ppv revenue is unchanged, physical attendance may be lower but it may be reduced capacity depending on covid anyway but I guess there’s a massive kick back from Saudi on top of what can be achieved here. This will of course attract less uproar from Twitterati, sponsors, parliament and sky than the idea of the ESL…

It's all about the cash, that's whats always driven boxing. Fights happen if the money is right not if it's a good match up 99% of the time.

Wilder granted a third match with Fury through arbitration... LOL

Bloke has zero interest in getting in the ring with Fury again, just waiting for Hearn or the Saudis to pay him to step aside for the big fight.

He
Wilder granted a third match with Fury through arbitration... LOL

Bloke has zero interest in getting in the ring with Fury again, just waiting for Hearn or the Saudis to pay him to step aside for the big fight.
He will get a huge pay off to step aside and also means he won't get his arse whipped again

Back