• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2018/19 Premier League Thread

I know we always criticise our corners but I see a lot of other teams hit the first man with theirs too.

FROM THE GRAUNIAD:

2m ago20:25

25 mins: Key Deeney quote here, from last season’s “cojones” rant. “Let me whack the first one and see who wants it,” is a perfectly decent tactic, unless the referee spots it:

I have to watch what I say, but it’s [having] a bit of cojones, is what I’ll say. Whenever I play against Arsenal, I’ll go up and think ‘let me whack the first one and see who wants it.’

I know we always criticise our corners but I see a lot of other teams hit the first man with theirs too.

I tear my hair out a bit when I hear "£x a week and he can't clear the first man, what a prick."

Taking a corner, a player is trying to whip it in at pace at a height not much above the first man. No point just clearing the first man for the sake of it. It's a difficult skill.

FROM THE GRAUNIAD:

2m ago20:25

25 mins: Key Deeney quote here, from last season’s “cojones” rant. “Let me whack the first one and see who wants it,” is a perfectly decent tactic, unless the referee spots it:

I have to watch what I say, but it’s [having] a bit of cojones, is what I’ll say. Whenever I play against Arsenal, I’ll go up and think ‘let me whack the first one and see who wants it.’

Beat me to it.

Advertise that you are going to do the first defender you can then moan about being sent off for doing it?

I tear my hair out a bit when I hear "£x a week and he can't clear the first man, what a prick."

Taking a corner, a player is trying to whip it in at pace at a height not much above the first man. No point just clearing the first man for the sake of it. It's a difficult skill.
Considering how no one has seemingly been able to master the art of whipping it in in such a manner id suggest corner takers just stick one in the mixer and be damned with it, at least it would be less frustrating for us watching.

True to an extent, it's the ones that consistently land below the waist of the first man that frustrates people.

Agreed. I sometimes think that the corners that certain teams take that often hit the first man are a low success percentage attempt, that when done properly, yields a higher percentage goal chance (MODS, WE NEED A BIG, FAT, JUICY CORNERS THREAD). And if it's headed out there is decent chance of retaining possession.

Back