• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Levy/ENIC in/out/shake it all about poll....

Seeing as we're debating ENIC/Levy and what we'd like for our future... Would you prefer...

• Total voters
Without knowing everything about the financial situation, it's difficult to form an opinion.

I've read somewhere that we have the biggest debt in European football (though 800m come from the stadium). If the Covid situation lasts a couple more years, we're toast whatever we do.

At the moment, a director of football seems like the way forward but we should also keep in mind that all DoF aren't good at their jobs. Add to that the fact that the job has become a lot more difficult than it was 10-20 years ago and finding the right man for the job becomes increasingly difficult. At the same time, whoever we choose has to given a few years at least. There's no point in creating such a structure if we're going to chop and change every other year, because this or that new player turns out to be a flop.

So, we're looking for a man with enough of a reputation to lock horns with Levy when need be but who hasn't been signed by a bigger club, yet. Alright... Ah, and in an ideal world, Levy would still have some kind of veto on contracts - assuming the DOF is given a budget to work with.

I'm not sure the egos of all involved would allow for such a structure. The most likely outcome is that we will continue as we are and maybe appoint a straw man as a DoF to take the fall the next time things go wrong. With (a lot of) luck, we'll stumble onto the next Pochettino sooner or later. The bottom line is, we'll never be able to compete with the Cities of this world financially, so we'll always be second-best when it comes to attracting top candidates.

My issue with not doing it organically is no one really cares how you do it anymore
All I heard yesterday was the miracle of city and the mastery of pep
No one cares one jot about them buying success, just the actual success. And city will spend more this summer to buy more success
It’s not what I’d like but it’s almost palatable now
Enic can’t do that. TBF very very few owners can.
So we either have to be smarter or possibly luckier, on and off the pitch

My issue with not doing it organically is no one really cares how you do it anymore
No one cares one jot about them buying success, just the actual success. And city will spend more this summer to buy more success

I found the messaging/commentary yesterday re City/Pep very annoying/depressing/stunning, especially in light of the additional statements about how "English football had been saved by the failure of ESL"

The fact that they threw £2B of money from questionable sources at a club that in 130 years had achieved 9 trophies, then same club wins 12 in less than a decade but the integrity of the game is safe?

Does anyone really think if Spurs has spent £480M on defenders alone we wouldn't have won a trophy, wtf?

Oh, the irony of the hew and cry around the stupid ESL which was a direct response to the lack of FFP rigour of the dopped mega-clubs like Chelsea and City.

Last edited:
Voting for Levy rather than the DOF to have control over transfers because he will, whatever structure is put in place, and the DOF might as well be signed up to that from the outset.

I found the messaging/commentary yesterday re City/Pep very annoying/depressing/stunning, especially in light of the additional statements about how "English football had been saved by the failure of ESL"

The fact that they threw £2B of money from questionable sources at a club that in 130 years had achieved 9 trophies, then same club wins 12 in less than a decade but the integrity of the game is safe?

Does anyone really think if Spurs has spent £480M on defenders alone we wouldn't have won a trophy, wtf?
Sky's coverage was embarassing yesterday, it was like Emirates Marketing Project day, amazing what you can do with £2bn of investment !!

Sky's coverage was embarassing yesterday, it was like Emirates Marketing Project day, amazing what you can do with £2bn of investment !!
There was a bit where Tyler said, "It's bad enough being part of the ESL, but even worse when you're English", and then the camera zoomed in, and lingered on Daniel Levy! Hatchet job or what!

There was a bit where Tyler said, "It's bad enough being part of the ESL, but even worse when you're English", and then the camera zoomed in, and lingered on Daniel Levy! Hatchet job or what!
Yep, I remember this. It's just more cheap ESL Sky prattling don't dwell on it.

He is a total clam, but really was a massive clam towards us yesterday

Options 3 and 4 are more or less the same. Levy is never going to give up control of the financial aspects of transfers (and I wouldnt want him too), but I feel that a DoF would be helpful to oversee player identifcation part of transfers and all other footballing matters
Options 3 and 4 are entirely different....
Option 3 isn't too different from what we have now, just changing Hitchen for whatever yes man would agree to become a DoF under that model.
Option 4 is a very different thing where Levy just sets the budgets and then leaves a person that actually knows about football to worry about the football side of things.

Not hindsight from me. In the hours after Poch's sacking, I was convinced (and probably proclaiming on here), that the only way it could ever turn out well was if we replaced him with a very similar version of him. And for me at that point in time that meant Nagelsmann or Ten Hag, who I still think are the two outstanding candidates (though I like Potter and Parker too).

I don't mean to sound smug about it. It's just that it did seem just as obvious at that point in time as it does now. Mourinho was always an anti-football dinosaur who'd just destroyed his two previous teams.
Indeed matey. I can vouch that you took this exact opinion (as you were in the same camp as me).

Basically we didn't feed the goose that was laying our golden eggs for a number of years and then we wondered why the goose had stopped laying those golden eggs.... Then when we finally gave the goose a decent sized meal we killed it and ate it immediately instead of giving it time to digest that food and start laying golden eggs again.

I don't think any of us know enough about transfers to be qualified to say if Hitchen is doing well or not. For example, we don't know which players are chosen by the manager, Levy, or other scouts etc. For all we know Hitchen just negotiates the deals, and maybe Levy has seen Hitchen secure some great deals. Does anyone know any different?

Overall the premise of the question is a little entitled. Ultimately are you a glass-half-full or empty person?
The question gives four possible answers and a 5th catch all 'something else'. One of the options for an answer is to carry on exactly as we are now so nothing entitled there at all.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a correlation between those who wanted Poch out and those who want ENIC out. Careful what you wish for.
I'm not sure there is to be honest.... From what I have been able to tell on here a lot of those who wanted Poch out are those that think ENIC can do no wrong.

Also those that would prefer new ownership seem to be the same people that wanted Pochettino kept (quite why Daniel Levy thought he knew more than Pochettino about whether or not the squad needed a rebuild I'll never know?!?)

Levy ( imo) is the best chairman we can have here so long may he stay. I think we are really unlucky that Covid ( which is awful for everyone) has meant the shutting of our ground because we would have been laughing on the financial gain it would have given us, and probably put us in a far stronger position moving on. I have not got a problem with bringing in a DOF but Levy should remain in charge overall.

Without knowing everything about the financial situation, it's difficult to form an opinion.

I've read somewhere that we have the biggest debt in European football (though 800m come from the stadium). If the Covid situation lasts a couple more years, we're toast whatever we do.

At the moment, a director of football seems like the way forward but we should also keep in mind that all DoF aren't good at their jobs. Add to that the fact that the job has become a lot more difficult than it was 10-20 years ago and finding the right man for the job becomes increasingly difficult. At the same time, whoever we choose has to given a few years at least. There's no point in creating such a structure if we're going to chop and change every other year, because this or that new player turns out to be a flop.

So, we're looking for a man with enough of a reputation to lock horns with Levy when need be but who hasn't been signed by a bigger club, yet. Alright... Ah, and in an ideal world, Levy would still have some kind of veto on contracts - assuming the DOF is given a budget to work with.

I'm not sure the egos of all involved would allow for such a structure. The most likely outcome is that we will continue as we are and maybe appoint a straw man as a DoF to take the fall the next time things go wrong. With (a lot of) luck, we'll stumble onto the next Pochettino sooner or later. The bottom line is, we'll never be able to compete with the Cities of this world financially, so we'll always be second-best when it comes to attracting top candidates.
Two proven top class DoFs in Rangnick and Campos are actually available on the open market.

Not on Emirates Marketing Project's scale no.... But I think we are actually in the minority instead of majority when it comes to owners who don't inject any capital into the club.

The question gives four possible answers and a 5th catch all 'something else'. One of the options for an answer is to carry on exactly as we are now so nothing entitled there at all.

Its the first answer that is a little loaded. After we lose a cup final and are managerless, of course, things are not perfect. Rarely in football are teams at their zenith.

Spurs to carry on exactly the way we are right now, we're doing fine

So the above is loaded. It presumes that if things are not perfect, we need intervention. However, how often do we see in football that success comes from stability and incremental improvement?

There are 40,000 football teams in the UK. All but 4 or 5 would swap our 'troubles' for theirs. That makes us a little entitled. Of course, look for improvement, be constructive, but we don't have some divine right to win things. Levy has put us into a position where we can aspire to win and take the next step. Previously we were rarely in Europe.

The details of how the transfer team work within Spurs is interesting. But I am not sure anyone here knows exactly who does what and who drives our business. But it is safe to say the Manger of the day and Levy have the greatest say.

Back