• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

I wonder if people would want a £30m CF if we had other needs in the squad? I.e. is it just because they don't like the idea of not doing any major business at all?

Kane doesn't need to feel he's any more comfortable keeping his place than Walker, Lloris or Alderveireld. Fight for your place is a good philosophy based on all other areas why should CF be any different. After all, that's how Kane got there in the first place.

I'd happily have an incredibly talented kid who might emerge in the coming seasons to eclipse Kane - absolutely. I just think parachuting in a big name/big ego ahead of him at this moment could destroy a lot of the homegrown-driven spirit we've created.

We've done this successfully with Dier, Alli, Davies, Trippier and Wimmer. We just need a CF equivalent of them.

And what if Kane takes a dip in form? Do we want him to always think "I'm the main man, it don't matter"?
Or do we want him to feel he has to work hard to regain his form (or place) and at least not feel the full burden of the situation because we have to play him no matter what due to lack of CF alternatives?
Wouldn't it better to be able to take him out of the firing line while he works on regaining his natural level, and another CF hopefully stops the team's attacking play from falling apart because of this?

I know which situation is more healthy for Kane himself (at this stage of his career) AND the team/squad overall..

GB, it's still considered a hole in our squad so it's only natural for people to want an option available to work in tandem with or instead of Kane. Personaly I like the idea of Batshuayi joining, but he would be a player also wanting to play a lot of games, so unless we have a system in mind to utilise him alongside Kane, I see no need. A wide goalscorer like Martial or Embolo are closer to what we probably need; wide forwards who can also play as a #9 when required.

I'd happily have an incredibly talented kid who might emerge in the coming seasons to eclipse Kane - absolutely. I just think parachuting in a big name/big ego ahead of him at this moment could destroy a lot of the homegrown-driven spirit we've created.

We've done this successfully with Dier, Alli, Davies, Trippier and Wimmer. We just need a CF equivalent of them.

These are all players with comparable ability to the ones they are in competition with though. For us to get that with Harry, we might have to spend more. We'll see.

I Still don't understand why we pulled the plug on the Dembele deal. It was reported that we tried to change the deal at the last minute and wanted him immediately rather than wait till the summer. But even if it was Fulham that requested the change, with a young player with lots of potential and a de minimus transfer price, surely we either wanted him or we didn't. If we had to wait six months before we got him, then in the greater scheme of things, so what? This just seems bizarre to me.

We might not have pulled the plug 'totaly'!

Tottenham transfer news: Spurs plot to beat West Ham to signing of Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi

West Ham had put £30 million Marseille star at the top of their shopping summer list, but the Hammers will face strong competition from Spurs

Michy-Batshuayi_3573615b.jpg

Wanted man: Michy Batshuayi (centre) is a target for Tottenham and West Ham Photo: AP

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent

2:07PM GMT 12 Feb 2016

Tottenham Hotspur are plotting a move to beat London rivals West Ham United to their No 1 summer target, Michy Batshuayi.

West Ham had put Marseille star Batshuayi at the top of their shopping summer list as they seek a 20-goal-a-season striker, but the Hammers will face strong competition from Spurs.

Tottenham have been searching for a new striker since last summer and failed with a series of bids for West Bromwich Albion’s Saido Berahino.

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino opted against making any January signings, which means Tottenham have around £30 million to spend on a striker at the end of the season – particularly if the club qualifies for the Champions League.

Marseille value Batshuayi at £30m, with the Belgian hoping to move to the Premier League in time for next season.

Batshuayi has scored 16 goals in all competitions for Marseille this season, despite the fact his club are only 10th in the Ligue 1 table.

Michy-Batshuayi1_3573617b.jpg
Batshuayi has scored 16 goals in all competitions for Marseille this season

Qualification for the Champions League could be the clincher for Spurs in a race with West Ham for Batshuayi, as the 22-year-old is eager to play in Europe’s elite competition.

It would also give Batshuayi a greater assurance that he would play regular first-team football at Spurs, either alongside Harry Kane or in place of him when the England international needs a rest.

West Ham are willing to fight Tottenham for Batshuayi, but are unlikely to have the carrot of Champions League football to put him front of him.

The Hammers, though, can guarantee Batshuayi a regular starting place at their new Olympic Stadium and are in good shape to qualify for the Europa League.

Other than Spurs and West Ham, Stoke City have shown an interest in Batshuayi, who has scored two goals in two appearances for the Belgium national team, but it seems increasingly likely he will start next season in London.

No. I think we need a tight 22 man squad with no bloat. But I'd continue to back talented kids over journeymen - e.g. promoting 2CV to 4th CB and backing Bentaleb as the 4th CM/Dier's cover.

I just think that Kane's outstandingness gives us a great headache. Just like in 2013 you wouldn't buy a £30m deputy for Bale, now you can't buy an understudy for Kane who'd expect much gametime.
Agreed, but Batshuiyi is hardly a journeyman.
He looks like he could be the real deal, so to have two real deal players over the course of a >60 game season is how you win things.

It increases competition and options
Re; Kane, he is no mug, he knows he cannot do it all. And I'm sure he would welcome the addition of someone that would increase his chances of winning medals

Can't see how anyone would not want this to happen. He looks quality, adding quality to your team is never a bad thing. We should be in the CL next season, we need two class CF if we will be competing in that as well as the premier league and both cups. Squad depth is very important when it comes to juggling competitions. Best to have a top player to step in then just someone who we hope can "do the job"

GB, it's still considered a hole in our squad so it's only natural for people to want an option available to work in tandem with or instead of Kane. Personaly I like the idea of Batshuayi joining, but he would be a player also wanting to play a lot of games, so unless we have a system in mind to utilise him alongside Kane, I see no need. A wide goalscorer like Martial or Embolo are closer to what we probably need; wide forwards who can also play as a #9 when required.

If we qualify for the CL then we'll have plenty of big games for him and Kane to get enough game time. I also think Kane can easily play as a no 10 so don't see why they cant play together

Since we're talking transfers, how many and which players do you think we might sell in the next transfer window? Personally I cannot think of anyone I would want to see go.

Edit: with the exception of Fazio, of course, who is still on our books.

Small chance of leaving: Mason or Bentaleb as we are well stocked in that area.

Very small chance (<5%) of leaving: Rose, Vorm, Lamela, Chadli, Carroll

Since we're talking transfers, how many and which players do you think we might sell in the next transfer window? Personally I cannot think of anyone I would want to see go.

Edit: with the exception of Fazio, of course, who is still on our books.

Definitely: Fazio, Yedlin

Possibly: Carroll, Ward, Ball

Ward and Ball because they'll count as over 21 next year, so it's time to decide

there'll be three rich clubs in rebuild mode this summer, i'm sure we'll have some unwelcome interest in quite a few
I should have phrased the question better: who would we be looking to sell (a.k.a. get rid of) rather than who do we think other clubs might come in for.

Mason and Carroll are the ones that may go

Mason, as GB said, needs a move now if he isn't going to play for us ( he still might)

Carroll - I think it's either him or Winks for the squad, so may depend on how much faith they have in Winks or if he needs a loan. Carroll has done himself alot of favours this season

Yedlin - I don't see where he fits. I think he could be a good mid table winger in Germany though

I think Mason will go, too late into his career to be on the fringe of a first team squad let alone starting eleven.

He's been first choice whenever he's been fit for the past 15 months.

Dembele has moved ahead of him whilst he's been injured recently, but he was straight back on the bench last week ahead of Bentaleb and Carroll

Back