• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

Just had one of those silly thoughts this morning. If Liverpool lost to Bournemouth at the weekend or United the week after, winning the title is in our hands.

Ok, it’d mean winning our last 16 games (including the 3 we’ve won already) which is highly unlikely but logic and reality is the last port of call for most of us football fans so I have to confess, I got a little bit giddy at the thought whilst planning how I’d make the Everton game (I’m in Spain that weekend).

Just to indulge on this...if we won every game then it’s possible the title could be won with a couple matches spare. So, just 11 more wins might do it ;)

It is good to see Liverpool stumble but I wouldn't be too quick to write their obituary just yet. They'll be there or there about at the death.

Do you want to tell Liverpool that who have drawn five games and are five points clear of us then:D....
That's assuming we draw our losing games and not our winning games... If we draw 2 winning and 2 losing we are further away.

Look at arsenals unbeaten run, the draws mean nothing

That's assuming we draw our losing games and not our winning games... If we draw 2 winning and 2 losing we are further away.

Look at arsenals unbeaten run, the draws mean nothing
Liverpool might of lost the games they drew, it works both ways. The fact Liverpool have drawn five games, and are five points clear of us suggests that the argument to lose some games is better than to draw some is flawed somewhere considering we've won the same number of games as Liverpool and all those games they have drawn are the difference between us.....

Luckiest fudges of all time that team. fudging plastic happy clapper, small-time, clams.

But the real reason we effed it up that season was our results against Leicester themselves. We allowed them a late equaliser at their gaff, and lost at home to a Huth fluke from a header. If we had won both those games..........we would have had 5 more points and Leicester 5 less. That was the fundamental reason we didn't win the title that year.

But the real reason we effed it up that season was our results against Leicester themselves. We allowed them a late equaliser at their gaff, and lost at home to a Huth fluke from a header. If we had won both those games..........we would have had 5 more points and Leicester 5 less. That was the fundamental reason we didn't win the title that year.

Plus only getting 1 point from six in successive games in 4 days vs West Ham and Arsenal. Before those two games we were 2 points behind and Leicester dropped two points ah home vs West Brom the day before we played West Ham...sigh...

Lives tough being a Spurs nowadays hey?! Oh for the days of Graham, Gross,et al!...sigh...

Indeed, what an improvement from those days....but we need to cut out the nonsense about how 'lucky' Leicester were when in fact we blew our chances ourselves. Proper self-reflection is the only way we can really beak through whatever ceilings we have...

Indeed, what an improvement from those days....but we need to cut out the nonsense about how 'lucky' Leicester were when in fact we blew our chances ourselves. Proper self-reflection is the only way we can really beak through whatever ceilings we have...
Now that I can agree with! Leicester did have the rub of the green that season, but you just need to look at the points haul that won it to see that City, Utd, Pool, Arsenal, Chelsea and ourselves under achieved and at least one of us shouldn’t have let it happen. It just so happens that we were closest to them for longer down the home stretch that we get criticized, whereas at Christmas that season Arsenal were top of the league I believe?

Now that I can agree with! Leicester did have the rub of the green that season, but you just need to look at the points haul that won it to see that City, Utd, Pool, Arsenal, Chelsea and ourselves under achieved and at least one of us shouldn’t have let it happen. It just so happens that we were closest to them for longer down the home stretch that we get criticized, whereas at Christmas that season Arsenal were top of the league I believe?

Yeah, we motored up the league after our home loss to Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Even after we lost again at home to Leicester on that fateful early midweek fixture we again motored up the league and were 2 points off Leicester after they beat Norwich with a last-minute goal and we followed them the next day and beat Swansea after a second-half fightback 2-1 win.
It was then that we checked away our opportunities to go top and/or at the least keep Leicester within a win of overtaking them in our games vs West Ham and Arsenal....you know the rest after that:(

We've played much better than we did that season since but have never been so close to the summit in gthe second half of the season since...

Liverpool might of lost the games they drew, it works both ways. The fact Liverpool have drawn five games, and are five points clear of us suggests that the argument to lose some games is better than to draw some is flawed somewhere considering we've won the same number of games as Liverpool and all those games they have drawn are the difference between us.....
We have won some of the games we should have drawn and only the extra points have kept us as close.

I certainly think they were lucky. In lots of little ways that really added up.

I still dont think they were the best team that year, the whole thing was an absolute fluke/anomoly.

True -- I can't argue with that. But I see the point being that we're prepared to go all out to win games rather than settling for the draw. Let's take five drawn games, which is as few as we've ever had at this point of the season*. That's 5 points if we settle and play them out. However, say we go for the win and get it in 2 of those 5 matches. Worst case is then that we lose the other 3, probably on the counter. That gives us 6 points, i.e. one better. With the team we now have, it's reasonable to think that we'd do better than that, e.g. W3 D1 L1 (10pts) or W2 D2 L1 (8pts).

So, like Ginola's flowing locks, it's worth it. The exception is when playing direct rivals, where a draw is better than risking a 6-point swing.

* 2003/4 being the exception, with us being on a mighty 34 points after 26 games, just 4 of them drawn. That's actually a good counter point, where we had a vastly inferior team that would have turned draws into losses. My hypothetical 5 draws would be more likely to turn into W1 D1 L3 with Bunjevcevic and Doherty at the back!

I certainly think they were lucky. In lots of little ways that really added up.

I still dont think they were the best team that year, the whole thing was an absolute fluke/anomoly.

I think they were the best of a bad bunch. Certainly don’t think we deserved it with only 70 points. Arsenal are the team that should have won it with their resources and having a settled squad with a long term manager who had been around the block plenty and had experience of winning titles. Leicester didn’t create many chances but they were clinical and certainly defended very well. Even in the home game against us despite the fact that we were the better team we didn’t dominate in terms of chances.

I've mellowed on Leicester now, they were a bit lucky but no luckier than Chelsea the year after. Lucky to have no terrible injuries and lucky to not be in Europe. It is a fantastic football story, couldn't appreciate that at the time but can now.

I've mellowed on Leicester now, they were a bit lucky but no luckier than Chelsea the year after. Lucky to have no terrible injuries and lucky to not be in Europe. It is a fantastic football story, couldn't appreciate that at the time but can now.

Football success is a combination of good players, good coaching and good preparation.

What the hell were they preparing them with to make up for the first two?

Football success is a combination of good players, good coaching and good preparation.

What the hell were they preparing them with to make up for the first two?
Don't forget Ranieri let the players dictate what to do. The senior players coached the tactics and inspired the players. Ranieri was just the Dilly Ding Dilly Dong fool in front of the cameras. He said so himself

Back