1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The case for the defence

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Danishfurniturelover, 25 Aug 2019.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vivian Woodward

I’d guess Dier has played less than a 100 game at CB at this level.
    I agree their all B team level

LincsSpur and harr1984 like this.
  2. harr1984

harr1984 Nick Barmby

Leicester haven’t needed that kind of money. Any of Fofana, the Turkish guy, or Evans would all walk into our side and be the dominant one....

Bedfordspurs, billyiddo and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Gudni Bergsson

I agree that a top defender can cover the gaps and failings of the weaker player. Likewise it takes some good scouting and foresight to bring in that defender. It is an absolute neccesity this summer. If we do only bit of business that

Indeed, you just need a good scouting department and a proactive transfer
    committee, we are fine on the first part. Remains to be seen if we have bucked up our ideas on the second part.

harr1984 likes this.
  4. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Evans wouldn't be a good example, they took a risk with him (and for the money, it was good one), but I could imagine this board's reaction if we had went for Evan's when available (an over 30 United reject who was banned for spitting on others, who spent 3 loans out, then 3 years with relegation fodder). People would brick all over that transfer, Levy being skint, etc.

5. Bedfordspurs

On a free?
    I suggested him on here instead of Toby as everyone thought Toby would be wanted by the big sides ... I got laughed at
    And strangely enough he has improved their defence
    And the other suggestions and comments too about Leiscters defence are true
    They chop and change but all step up when needed. They are all other than Evans on the jeopardy curve too so are getting better

harr1984 likes this.
  6. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

I'm not saying he wouldn't have worked, I'm saying he's exactly what this board would get angry about, not a big name, too cheap, played for non fancy club.

Most people were meh over PEH.

7. LincsSpur

LincsSpur Andy Gray

Fair enough

8. Bedfordspurs

I was very meh about PEH
    His stats weren’t great on comparison to some of his team mates
    I was wrong
    I do think CBS are judged so differently to other players
    The amount of times I’ve heard about CBS passing or goal scoring or creative elements when ultimately they are the last line of defence and they should be judged on stopping the opposition. It’s why jan was so much better than Toby at their peaks as he had that nasty side

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  9. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

But that's my point, PEH was a youth star, played under PEP at Bayern, was captain at Southampton, cost us £15M (£3 if you think KWP swap) at 25? and lots of people were meh.

Can you imagine a 30+ journeyman reject from a top club who spent 3 years on brick loans, has a history of stupid things and cost £3M

Board is full of Danny Rose googlers ..

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  10. billyiddo

billyiddo Willie Hall Staff Member

We built our best teams signing those sorts of players

11. Bedfordspurs

Kinda
    Players more like PEH than Tanguys (not that there is anything wrong with Tanguy but his price was a world class fee)

billyiddo likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

I’ll just add the Bayern thing I do find funny
    I’ve heard people quite the trophies he won there and the impact he had... I’m sure he played less than 20 games
    But I do agree that give me a team of progressive players and we will be miles better
    We have some now that will IMO grow here like Tanguy, Hojdjberg, Skipp and Lo Celso
    We also have players who have either stagnated or are on the downward slide like Winks and Sissoko
    We have sessegnon coming back who is on the progressive curve I believe but Davies hasn’t improved in some time and arguably has lost his attacking edge
    The centre backs scare me as the only one I’d keep is Rodon and I’d play Tanganga RB for now
    That’s a lot of cover and starters needed for CB
    Up front we have a lot of experience now big still too many who haven’t improved and one who has had a stagnant 18 months

13. Bishop

Bishop Gudni Bergsson

The board or fans reaction are irrelevant. I see people making this kind of arguement all the time. It's nonsense, we are going to sign the players we need who cares what the fans think. The fans ultimately will judge the player on what they do for the team once they sign.

Baleforce and Finney Is Back like this.
  14. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Our best buys in recent era

- Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Rose, Walker, Dembele, Jan, Toby, Lloris, Eriksen, Son, VDV, Dele

The vast majority of that -> young, generally recognized as promising (but still questions), 5 from Europe, a few from lower level PL/Championship clubs, 1 from a top level club and Southampton is our bitch

yiddo37 likes this.
  15. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Completely correct, my point was to point out the hypocrisy of the board, not actions of the club

- If we buy a cheaper/unknown/less rated -> why didn't we buy proven
    - If we miss out on proven -> why didn't we buy cheaper?

Everyone thinks there is some magic to this, DoF, super scout, academy, etc .. look at a decade of result in every league, sustained success is directly tied to spend, no mystery.

A smartly run club can do a few steps above average but it doesn't change the rules.

16. Bedfordspurs

What I call the upwards curve
    Players who have scope to improve but can also sometimes fail (the ntwins and Jansen for example)

Finney Is Back likes this.
  17. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Yep, it's a good place to play, the only issue was Chelsea and City caught on and started hording a fair amount of those players.

18. Bedfordspurs

Chelsea have been buying young players for years
    City tend to buy now from South America it seems but again their speculating
    There is scope for us to do it with players as we have done before
    I do worry that the championship now has a premium on it but the market is what it is

19. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jack Jull

Ain’t nobody was bullying that defence...

BAAE99D7-3A26-4CD7-82CF-AB3E0F0FD586.jpeg

billyiddo likes this.
  20. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

Could not agree more.