1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The Art of VAR

Discussion in 'General Football' started by Gutter Boy, 28 Feb 2018.

1. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

two issues here, the offside decision, which by the current laws was offside, and the missed holding call, which is nothing to do with VAR, yet, even with VAR, that the officials still didn't spot it, reflects very badly on them

2. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

that dutch system is madness, they are allowing goals which cannot be proven to not be offside

3. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Frederic Kanoute

Was he?

4. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Jimmy Neighbour

Yep he said he's a big fan and believes in the technology. He just thinks the interpretation is wrong.

5. nayenezgani

Mind you he couldn't articulate how he'd actually resolve said broken interpretation.

6. Grays_1890

I will check it out, sure its on Youtube.

7. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

:confused: That's not what I got from Neville. What he defended was the ref going to the camera, not the handball decision. That, he said, was 'a nonsense.'

'Neville disagreed with Carragher about referees consulting pitchside screens before finalising decisions, but agreed that the application of VAR needs to change.

"Going to the screen isn't the problem," he said. "What's happened now is that referees' authority is being questioned, their credibility is being questioned and they are even doubting themselves.

"It's the application of technology that is the big problem in this moment in time, and the rules themselves. The handball is a nonsense. The offside rule about the arm is a nonsense. Those two rules need changing. At that point, VAR will become more acceptable.'

8. nayenezgani

He said the technology was good. Direct quote. Saying the handball rule is a joke shows he believes the interpretation is the problem. What are you on about?

9. StephenH

StephenH Paul Stewart

VAR is in its infancy. It has a great deal of evolution to go through as do the referees!

Fans must be listened to but not pandered to.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2020
  10. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

Neville agreed the decision was wrong.

End of.

Stop trying to move the goalposts!

11. nayenezgani

@Grays_1890 claimed no one in the game was defending VAR, Neville definitely was. Watch the footage you plum, or learn how to read back a page.

12. Grays_1890

Yeh he said it works if used right I watched it. He is a rarity

13. DubSpur

DubSpur Reto Ziegler

For Villas disallowed goal, it was offside under the current rule. For the foul, the on-pitch ref missed it, they claim that the VAR ref looked at it.

If the VAR ref looked at it and didn't give a pen, can someone explain to me how that is down to the technology and not down to human error and an incompetent ref?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2020
    spurrrr, StephenH and Baleforce like this.
  14. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

15. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

THIS!

Same for every contested VAR decision that I can think of.

StephenH likes this.
  16. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

yeah it's like when that team hired that player that was an out and out racist who went around racially abusing opposing players and all of his teammates defended him completely and even wore t shirts

Robbo and scaramanga like this.
  17. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Edgar Davids

But that’s obvious isn’t it? Of course a computer /camera can’t be wrong on its own. The whole point/issue with VAR is that you still have humans making the final decisions. Football isn’t black and white, one mans pelanty is another mans play on, VAR was never going to eradicate that from the game, it’s completely naive to think otherwise.

i don’t think anyone is saying VAR, the technology itself, is wrong are they? At least I don’t think that’s what they are saying when they say VAR is fudged? It’s the whole thing, human operators included that people are moaning about. Basically as Neville seems to have been saying on Monday.

18. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

Yes it is, the laws are set, carefully worded.

VAR is simple, it gives the humans a chance for a second/third/fourth/slow motion look at things, if they are still getting it wrong, fire them and hire some who are competent.

Whats the alternative to VAR, go back to accepting mistakes and inconsistency, the idea of that sickens me, it would probably turn me off. Bad officiating is the biggest problem in football, they have to fix that or the game is dead.

19. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Edgar Davids

I disagree with your first paragraph (there is loads of room for interpretation in the rules, hence the problem!) and last paragraph (football was better before VAR, so the alternative looks pretty appealing right now).

parklane1 and braineclipse like this.
  20. DubSpur

DubSpur Reto Ziegler

How is wrapping your arms around someone's neck/chest open to interpretation? It's a blatant foul. I haven't heard anyone say it wasn't a foul beside the VAR Ref.
    There will always be grey areas but the black and white ones should be called correctly with VAR and a competent ref. If the ref is still making clear mistakes
    with the use of VAR he should be sacked.

Spur of the moment and Robbo like this.