• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Testing your internet connection

Agree with Mick here.

My history......I was on Virgin (.net) which was provided via BT copper cable and was subject to things like trees overhanging cables and all sorsts of brick.
After months of drop-outs, and denial by BT that anything was wrong, I switched to Virgin cable. Since then, I have NEVER had a drop out, and achieve around 95% of the advertised speeds.

Simples. Virgin cable is the way to go.

Yeah, my speed test on Virgin fibre optic is giving me 16ms ping, with 9.75Mbps connection. And to be honest I throttle the brick out of it. I can run multiple downloads and still get movies streaming on the Xbox on Netflix with no interuption. Even better, Virgin are doubling all customers speeds through the year. They aren't perfect (TV on demand ahs the odd grumble and the phone line at my old place was a complete pain in the arse) but the fibreoptic broadband is pretty bullet proof.

Billy, that speed test is appalling mate, I'd be telling them they are in breach of conract, you might as well be on dial up. I hate anything to do with Carphone Warehouse/Talk Talk.

Guys, for those that achieve very little speed in comparison to the advertised speed; do you have any interference?

The general frequency is 2.4ghz - which is also the frequency for many other electrical appliances (cordless phones, baby monitors, etc). There's also the case of other wifi in your area which may also flood the channels. Not sure about other providers but with Virgin you get the option of 5Ghz (on the Superhub). When I check my area, I am the only one using it and for that reason can get close to the 50mb speeds promised.

The problem however is that I cannot connect with my phone, PS3, Internet Radio, etc but can only connect with my laptop, iPad and the other laptop using a dongle.

I have switched to 2.4Ghz when the baby monitor is on and I'm not downloading but the speeds can be pretty poor in comparison.

Yeah, my speed test on Virgin fibre optic is giving me 16ms ping, with 9.75Mbps connection. And to be honest I throttle the brick out of it. I can run multiple downloads and still get movies streaming on the Xbox on Netflix with no interuption. Even better, Virgin are doubling all customers speeds through the year. They aren't perfect (TV on demand ahs the odd grumble and the phone line at my old place was a complete pain in the arse) but the fibreoptic broadband is pretty bullet proof.

Billy, that speed test is appalling mate, I'd be telling them they are in breach of conract, you might as well be on dial up. I hate anything to do with Carphone Warehouse/Talk Talk.

/AOL

To those asking I'm in London but its a VPN so isnt quite what you can order for yourself online but you can get all that via Virgin I believe though the upload probably wouldnt be as quick.

I think the comparisons to the far east are a little unfair, the population is far denser there with most people in those cities all living in huge apartment complexes which are far easier to install a super network in. Additionally the infrastructure is generally a lot more modern then as after the big asia crash a while back they really upgraded it including transport etc.

we've been having problems lately with our Broadband provider (talk-talk) dropping out, ridiculously slow etc etc

are there any reliable places to test our connection - general speed, downloads/uploads etc as Talk Talk seem to think we are getting the 4 meg we are paying for - but that just doesn't seem possible seeings as we're having to wait 20 minutes for a 3 minute youtube video to load and getting download speeds of only 60k whatever a second when using Fileserve or Rapidshare (used to get 300-400)
Did you manage to get it fixed yet?

Back