1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Taking us where we want to go.

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Gilzeantoscore, 23 Apr 2018.

1. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Dean Austin

I just thought it might be interesting to ponder which players we would keep if we had the finances for a major title winning squad up grade. Here are my selections.

Kane
    Dele Alli
    Son maybe
    Eriksen
    Dier maybe
    Dembele only short term
    Vertonghen
    Rose I still thank he's one of the best full backs going around
    Lloris short term
    Moura need to see what he can do

The rest are either going ie Toby, or should be allowed to go.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2018
  2. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Scott Parker

I would add Wanyama to that list, along with Sanchez and Winks.

3. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover the prettiest spice girl

Not convinced on rose anymore, nearly a year without a run of games, think he has had it. Davies is a good squad plyer as is tripper.

Mikey10 and Jurgen the German like this.
  4. Seedy Ron

Seedy Ron Edgar Davids

[​IMG]

Maybe? Tough crowd.

5. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Nick Barmby

Son out of that list, lamela in.

Dembele out January at latest.

Rose out.

Dier definitely in

Wanyama definitely in

Winks definitely in

Jansen, llorente answer Sissoko all out.

6. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Chris Jones

Son out? He's scored double figures in back to back seasons! If he leaves we'd have to replace him with a goalscoring midfielder.

Mikey10, Kandi1977, Daisuk and 5 others like this.
  7. 90291Spur

90291Spur Steffen Iversen

Come on, Son has missed a few chances and sometimes takes too many touches and obviously spends too much time making up fancy handshakes. I say @scaramanga kidnaps him and flies him to South Korea so he can do his military service and proper learn that he needs to score ALL THE TIME, EVERY GAME.

8. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Squad balance and blend is so important. The individuals and their particular levels pale in comparison.

For example I wouldn't swap Ben Davies for any other LB in the world for what he contributes for us, but in isolation he probably wouldn't make the starting line-up of any other top 15 European club. It actually set Man U back quite a lot when van Gaal started ditching players like Jonny Evans. You need those type of players in your squad

For me Sissy, Nkoudou, Janssen and Llorente are the only players we have who are not up to being in a title winning squad. The other 20 or so could all make a major contribution.

Mikey10 likes this.
  9. indospurs

indospurs Tim Sherwood

Dier a maybe ? Jeez, he is part of our strong spine, at the back or in the middle and shown he can score goals. Only question is if his head has been turned, but i deft wanna keep him

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  10. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Nick Barmby

He is very streaky, goes from sublime to shocking in a heartbeat, tactically he isn't disciplined, doesn't work hard enough defensively.
    Balance that with his stats that you have quoted I would say he would be worth keeping as a squad player.
    But the issue of his military service isn't going away, so as our attack needs freshening up and dele, Erikson and Harry shouldn't be allowed to leave, Moura is just here and we seem to keen on keeping lamela, its would seem to me now is the time to cash in on son, thank him for his contribution and move on.

11. billyiddo

billyiddo David Ginola Staff Member

Id base a team going forwards on last seasons XI with quick powerful wing backs and Alli/Erilsen behind Kane - Son has a place in that as a squad/rotational player 400% as does Lamela and Moura. Id then bring in another player similar to Son who can cover the CF position as a false 9, direct CF cover seems a waste of time.

We'd need Alderweireld Rose and Walker replacements and someone like Modric in the middle to add a bit more variety/quality.

StephenH likes this.
  12. camspur

camspur Neil Sullivan

That could be said about Dele Alli as well but you'd keep him?

Son has 12 goals and 7 assists this season, that's equal to Eriksen (10 & 9) and 1 better than Alli (8 & 10) and he's achieved that in 10 hours (6.66 games in time) less playing time. I think a lot of people underestimate his contribution to Spurs.

13. camspur

camspur Neil Sullivan

IF Toby and Rose go then yes we need replacements, if they stay I wouldn't sell either to buy a player who may, or may not, be better.

Walker has been replaced Tripper and Aurier have given us as many assists as Walker has for City and double the amount of tackles.

14. billyiddo

billyiddo David Ginola Staff Member

Individual yeah they might have covered his output but not in the areas which you can't really quantify - we miss having powerful athletic fullbacks and they were a key component in the best team we've had in long long time

Yermiyahu likes this.
  15. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Nick Barmby

I'm not saying get rid because he's hopeless, but because of the military service he is the most sensible one to move on.
    Our attack, IMO, needs freshening up. Dele, Erikson and Harry are for a club of our level are nigh on irreplaceable.
    Miura is just here, not practical to move him on.
    That leaves Son and lamela.
    Both have flaws, what one lacks the doesn't.
    I would be sad to but not to bothered to see either go. But because of Son military service he's the one it makes sense to me to replace.

StephenH likes this.
  16. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

I always wonder what a Pep or Mourinho (with thier money) would do with our squad?

Kane Eriksen Dele Vertonghan stay. I think, be not convinced about anybody else!

Dier (back in my good books recently)
    Rose (fitness?)
    Wanyama (fitness?)

17. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Nick Barmby

The only thing wrong going with dele and to a lesser extent dier is that they need to grow up. They are not kids any more, take responsibility on the pitch not just for yourself but for the team.
    Dier in his present state would be in for a very rude awakening if he had went to mourinho.
    Toby would be a godsend for Pep, as would Wanyama.
    Dembele all the talent, none of the drive for a team like peps.

Mikey10 likes this.
  18. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Other than Mourinho at U.D. Leiria, neither of them have ever managed a team where they can't buy all the most expensive players around. Organic growth/teambuilding isn't in their repertoire.

MKSpur and StephenH like this.
  19. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

Dele is doing just fine for me. He is just 22 and still a lad, let him learn and grow up along the way. He has what it takes to go to the very top. not without fault but coming along nicely.
    Eriksen get in any team.
    I'll skip Kane ATM
    Fitness question hangover Toby and Wanyama.
    Agree with the rest.

Half of of the current Pep team haven't got the drive Pep wants. I think there would be a few going if Pep had all his own way, but even he still has a kind of budget :rolleyes:

But it not the world Spurs live in player purchase wise. It is an elite list of 6 clubs who now are on their own.

Beyern (just), PSG, Barca, Real, Man U and City.
    Chelsea (could jump up), Arsenal Liverpool Juve and Atletico?
    Spurs, Napoli, Roma, and Dortmund.

20. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Nick Barmby

Dele needs to drop the silly handshakes and petulance. He's as much a man at 22 as he will ever be. Before you know it it will be unfulfilled promise.