• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Debut goal was amazing technique, but it’s not a situation he finds himself in very often - I also think that he pulled up after an extraordinary long sprint in that game which may have affected his apparently trademark pace.

Yep, great technique. That attacking instinct and vereve has been well and truly Jose'd now eh.

The United one went through the keeper. Since then he’s definitely lost his nerve and like I say he’s tidy but ineffective. I always try and look for positives but I just don’t see anything about him that excites me for the future.

Again, the Jose effect..Some united fans were bored of Rashford, Martial etc too by the end of Jose's reign...

That RWF position has 4 players who all have different weaknesses that leaves us uber reliant on Son. When Bale had his little run of games it showed how we can look to stretch teams with a dual goal threat, admittedly at the expense of any decent defensive support!

Yep, those games where we had two threats alongside Kane gave a great glimpse didn't they? All went to Pot vs Arsenal when funnily enough Bergwijn would have given us a better combination of more pace AND defensive solidity. It is wearing on the players to have to go up and down constantly though, but in most games if we are attacking in intent AND are coached that way, you don't keep dropping late points vs the likes of Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Fulham etc because usually multiple goals ahead in a game covers for any defensive deficiencies. Arsenal dined for years on top 4 finishes with that attitude. Sigh...

Yep, great technique. That attacking instinct and vereve has been well and truly Jose'd now eh.

Again, the Jose effect..Some united fans were bored of Rashford, Martial etc too by the end of Jose's reign...

Yep, those games where we had two threats alongside Kane gave a great glimpse didn't they? All went to Pot vs Arsenal when funnily enough Bergwijn would have given us a better combination of more pace AND defensive solidity. It is wearing on the players to have to go up and down constantly though, but in most games if we are attacking in intent AND are coached that way, you don't keep dropping late points vs the likes of Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Fulham etc because usually multiple goals ahead in a game covers for any defensive deficiencies. Arsenal dined for years on top 4 finishes with that attitude. Sigh...
I’m just saying I don’t think Bergwijn has the attributes to get us to the level we need. I’d love to be wrong and I’m firmly in the Mourinho Out camp but I don’t think Bergwijn will improve much under a different coach. There’s plenty of players I’d get rid of before him but I don’t share your confidence in his potential.

the technique for his debut goal was not lashing through the ball when he had little time to think, Mabizela scored a screamer on debut too didn’t he?

Not disagreeing Solsjkaer has been good for Rashford but I’m still not sure Bergwijns raw skill set is going to set the world alight in a looser system. If I was a United fan I’d want rid of Martial regardless of who’s in charge!

yep, Bale against Goons was a mistake, again I’m not looking to defend someone I think has made multiple mistakes with his approach to games but if he hadn’t started him and we’d still lost then that would have been due to the ‘fear’ of not playing him. For me it’s a example of Mourinho just turning to different players for solutions and then discarding them and reintroducing them as the inconsistency results and performances continue. Other than Kane, Son and Hojbjerg I’m not sure he fully trusts anyone else to deliver and it’s why it feels to me like we have no rehearsed structure to our play.

I’m just saying I don’t think Bergwijn has the attributes to get us to the level we need. I’d love to be wrong and I’m firmly in the Mourinho Out camp but I don’t think Bergwijn will improve much under a different coach. There’s plenty of players I’d get rid of before him but I don’t share your confidence in his potential.

the technique for his debut goal was not lashing through the ball when he had little time to think, Mabizela scored a screamer on debut too didn’t he?

Not disagreeing Solsjkaer has been good for Rashford but I’m still not sure Bergwijns raw skill set is going to set the world alight in a looser system. If I was a United fan I’d want rid of Martial regardless of who’s in charge!

yep, Bale against Goons was a mistake, again I’m not looking to defend someone I think has made multiple mistakes with his approach to games but if he hadn’t started him and we’d still lost then that would have been due to the ‘fear’ of not playing him. For me it’s a example of Mourinho just turning to different players for solutions and then discarding them and reintroducing them as the inconsistency results and performances continue. Other than Kane, Son and Hojbjerg I’m not sure he fully trusts anyone else to deliver and it’s why it feels to me like we have no rehearsed structure to our play.

Fair enough re Bergwijn. Time will tell, i'm firmly expecting big(ger) things once a new more attacking coach is here.

Agree on Jose and him not having any rehearsed structure. I'd honestly ove to know what he does on the training ground; i bet it's not much different to Pulis plus a pep talk here and there on how to 'manage' aka stifle a game by getting men behind the ball etc...man i get bored just writing that!

I would let him go for 25 mil. It just didnt work out, he didn't produce anything upfront this year(i know mou gave him a lot of defence resposabilities, but still) and we can use the money.

I would let him go for 25 mil. It just didnt work out, he didn't produce anything upfront this year(i know mou gave him a lot of defence resposabilities, but still) and we can use the money.
No thanks, he has shown he has very good technique - both with dribbling and shooting. Look at his goal against Emirates Marketing Project on his debut, his goal against Villa etc His numbers can be better and in a more attack minded setup they will be. He has plenty of time to improve, and will do so....

No thanks, he has shown he has very good technique - both with dribbling and shooting. Look at his goal against Emirates Marketing Project on his debut, his goal against Villa etc His numbers can be better and in a more attack minded setup they will be. He has plenty of time to improve, and will do so....
We need the money, he has rather been going backwards from a promising start. His numbers are very poor compared to Son and even Bale. Not our biggest problem right now, for sure, but if I knew the money would be spent well, I would sell him at that price(25mil).

He's a level down from moura and lamela at this point in time. But I think there's a rough diamond in there and with a year or two if proper coaching he could become a great player.

Basically of our 4 wide AMs, Son is the only one I'd keep more at this juncture

Those two plus Bale and Lamela for the rwf position is crazy squad management - none are first choice material as well. I suppose with that in mind Bergwijn, given his age, should be the one to keep

Bergwijn should have gone on loan for the season when Bale came in. I don't think the side think matters in a fluid three behind Kane, but we definitely had one body too many.

He's a level down from moura and lamela at this point in time. But I think there's a rough diamond in there and with a year or two if proper coaching he could become a great player.

Basically of our 4 wide AMs, Son is the only one I'd keep more at this juncture

Him and Moura both have poor end product, however as you say SB could improve and has age on his side.

Back