• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs in UCL if league is scrapped?

I still believe the whole thing should be scrapped. Just seen this.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52726278

Premier League: Six positive coronavirus tests across three clubs
If football is to resume - despite most other sports cancelling - I want to see to risk analysis of spread.

Clearly football will resume in controlled environments - presumably these will extend to player activities outside of football (depending on the national social distancing position at the time).

Without something similar to the above, I doubt I'll watch and will definitely reasses what my future relationship is with football.

UEFA hold all the cards here and of course their decisions will all be financially motivated.

The scheduling of Euro2020 in June 2021 creates a bookmark in the football calendar; we know how tight a schedule is in normal circumstances with an ever expanding Champions League/Europa league schedule on top of each domestic leagues own calendars (ours is one of the busiest due to having 20 teams and a second cup competition). Europa League qualification usually begins in mid-July. Quite clearly that is not going to happen. I'd suggest as a best case scenario it could feasibly start in August i.e. 4-6 weeks later than usual. Unless Euro2020 gets put back weeks/months then all domestic seasons will need to conclude by mid-may then allowing UEFA's standard 2-week break before their Champions League final which is scheduled for 29th May 2021.

Essentially something has to give:

1. Cancel Euro2020 altogether - this will allow domestic leagues to spread out their schedules as normal across the 2020/21 season and also provides a contingency for a second major COVID case. No way UEFA will entertain this; they would lose too much money and many of the minor confederations will also lose income.

2. Reduce the Champions League/Europa League - this would be favoured option as i personally think both competitions are too truncated...however, UEFA and the major clubs will not want this as will reduce their incomes at an otherwise sensitive time when UEFA is scared that clubs will breakaway anyway.

3. Reduce the domestic season - more for us to reduce with a 38-match schedule and 2 domestic competitions. Scrapping the League Cup would free up 6 midweeks but would be vehemently opposed by The Football League and its member clubs. I'm sure they'd be petrified that by offering clubs in European competition a one-year exemption window they'd never get them back.

Sadly money always talks so we'll have a very congested season/schedule next season - remembering that there will be at least 4 international breaks scheduled in Sept/Oct/Nov/March and international managers will understandably want the time with their squads ahead of the Euros.

Personally I'd propose a combination of the three.....UEFA2020 to be scheduled a month later to run through July and August 2021. This could then provide european leagues with an opportunity to sync their 2021/22 and 2022/23 seasons around the 2022 World Cup in November.
A reduced CL and Europa League for two seasons only....perhaps Knock-out ties to be played over 1-leg only and a reduction in the qualification rounds (if England only gets 2 or 3 spots then so be it).
Clubs in Europe to be exempt from fielding first XI in League Cup and these midweeks scheduled alongside the european club competition midweeks.

However, not sure all parties will be grown up enough to make the financial sacrifices.

Perhaps option 1 or 2 might happen automtically should there be another wave and/or international travel restrictions...in which case we'll have far more to be concerned with!

Last edited:
if something is to go it should be the fa cup, league cup is already mid week and avoids European game weeks anyway

Europa league could be massively reduced, kill the group stage and make straight knock out

Agreed. And make all FA Cup games decided on the day - penalties if level AET. Should be that way anyway
Why bother with extra time? Its a drag. Players are knackered, by then the football's rubbish anyway and families with kids need to get home before midnight.

This time last year we were in the final!
First weekend in June.
I've had a few wines, was it over by now?

Why bother with extra time? Its a drag. Players are knackered, by then the football's rubbish anyway and families with kids need to get home before midnight.

Fair point, though without extra time you'd have teams playing for penalties from half-time! Might be better to have extra time but allow a couple additional subs

Back