• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs as Barca

elltrev

Andy Sinton
After watching the Barcelona vs PSG game the other night I was thinking about Barca's 4-3-3 system, and how we would go about playing that system using our current squad.

-------Busquets------
----Xavi--------------
------------Iniesta----
-----------------------
------------------Pedro
------Villa--------------
---------Fabregas-----

It was something like that, with Villa coming inside from the right, Fabregas often dropping deep, Pedro providing more width, and Xavi or (more often the case) Iniesta getting forward to support the 3 forwards.

The Spurs equivalent could be:

-------Sandro------
---Dembele------------
------------Holtby----
-----------------------
-----------------Lennon
------Bale--------------
---------Siggy---------

I'm not suggesting we should be playing this formation in upcoming games; I just thought it was interesting that our players arguably fit into a similar system quite well, and that it would be intriguing to see something like this in action. Especially given that Ade and Defoe have been so poor this season.

We dont have anyone who can pass the ball like Xavi or Inestia.
We dont have anyone capable of playing that false 9 Messi role. Neither do Barcelona when Messi isnt fit. Fabragas is brick there tbh.

Sure you can copy the "formation" but we don't the players to play the Barcelona tactic. We cant even attempt to keep possession in the way they can

I don't think Dembele would be the Xavi alternate, I think Carroll would be most likely in our team.

Thing that is underrated about Busquets is his one touch passing which is 10x better than Sandros, not to say that Sandro isn't good at it he's just not on Busquets level when it comes to it. I believe Xavi said that Busquets is the best one touch passer in the whole world, which is pretty high praise coming from him.

We can't play like Barcelona with our current players but that doesn't mean we can't play the 4-3-3 formation very effectively.

I don't think Dembele would be the Xavi alternate, I think Carroll would be most likely in our team.

Thing that is underrated about Busquets is his one touch passing which is 10x better than Sandros, not to say that Sandro isn't good at it he's just not on Busquets level when it comes to it. I believe Xavi said that Busquets is the best one touch passer in the whole world, which is pretty high praise coming from him.

Agree completely.

The only way we could even dream to come close to playing a Barca (I really wanted to write Swanse just to make it somewhat realistic) style possession based game would be to get Huddlestone, Holtby and possibly Carroll into the side. Those in a central 3, possibly with Dembele in the "Iniesa role" instead of Carroll would be able to move the ball quickly, keep possession, but also threaten with some purposeful passing going forward.

We would be a lot more vulnerable defensively though and AVB hasn't shown any indications that he's willing to send us out without a dedicated defensive midfielder, he just about never took off Sandro and has only taken off Parker when we've been getting absolutely desperate for a goal and had no other option on the bench than to bring on Huddlestone for him in midfield.

We can't play like Barcelona with our current players but that doesn't mean we can't play the 4-3-3 formation very effectively.

Yesterday was the most 4-3-3 looking team I've seen from us this season I think. Parker clearly was sitting deep and very rarely ventured forward with Dembele and Holtby slightly ahead of him, both getting back when defending and interchanging going forward.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-3-3 with the same central midfield against City and Chelsea, Bale starting on the left drifting wherever he wants and Lennon on the right.

Besides Bale and Lennon, we are quite workmanlike. We have a lot of triers, but we still don't have that player who can unlock defences. I'm still hoping Holtby might turn out to be that player.

Back