1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Son Heung-Min

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Denmark Spur, 28 Aug 2015.

1. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Paul Robinson

100 goals in 253 matches is an incredible return when you think he doesn’t usually play as a central striker. And indeed he is more considered to be a winger.

I think he and Kane evidently work so well together. They have developed quite the understanding. Let’s hope it will yield many more goals to come.

Robbo and Hotshot-Tottenham like this.
  2. MKSpur

MKSpur Terry Venables

Nice to see him get his ton, if you took his first season out he’s much closer to 1 in 2. My only concern is we overwork him, as he is head and shoulders above his backups when it comes to goalscoring.

3. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Ian Walker

4. FatBloke

FatBloke Wilson Palacios

To be fair, given that Kane and Son are genuinely world class, it's bound to be a big drop to #3. If only we could get 2 goals up by the 60-minute mark, those two might get more of a rest.

5. Raziel

Raziel Steffen Iversen

Take out his first season, add the 50+ assists, it's quite a story.

6. MKSpur

MKSpur Terry Venables

I do feel that Mourinho is loathe to take them off either for lack of trust or as a reward even if we are looking comfortable!
    Agree that the drop off is inevitable given the ceiling, but I think 10 goals from another attacker should be achievable, even if we played a pure 442. Is my memory playing tricks on me but didn’t Dele Kane and Son all get 20 goals in a season, probably with Eriksen chipping in another 10?

harr1984 and FatBloke like this.
  7. Raziel

Raziel Steffen Iversen

It was close, think one of the three ended with 18/19 and Eriksen was somewhere around the double digits.

Kane & Son are probably closer to 25/30 now
    I'd say Vinicius (with enough game time), Bergwijn, Lucas, Bale are all capable of 10-ish, with Lo Celso/Ndombele doing 5+

The issue right now is balance, we defend well but the threat is really via front 3 (Bergwijn in last couple of games could have had a few)

What I'd really like to see is an alternate front line (Vinicius, Dele +1) that can be a genuine rotation, because I think anything is possible as long as Kane & Son are fit, so we need to keep them that way.

FatBloke and MKSpur like this.
  8. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Presumably that's between them, rather than each?

harr1984 and MKSpur like this.
  9. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Ian Walker

Seems like aeons ago that Moura and Lamela were actually contributing as attackers!

Screenshot_20210105-000731_Chrome.jpg

10. harr1984

harr1984 Nick Barmby

That made me laugh and a fair point now, but i do think Bergwijn will be a ten plus goals man in the future. Moura has done it in the past for us, Bale well who knows - maybe ten plus games is a better target for him:D....

11. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Tottenham have put non-urgent contract talks on ice, including negotiations with South Korea forward Son Heung-min Son, during the Covid-19 pandemic. (London Evening Standard)

12. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

13. The egyptian

The egyptian Ryan Nelsen

14. parklane1

parklane1 David Ginola

Another great finish from him.

15. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Ian Walker

Selfless and ruthless in equal measure, our Sonny!

16. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

Sonny now showing he's fully signed up to the extreme level of commitment needed to win us trophies.

Tracks back to the day captain Lloris lost it with him for not ... tracking back.

Bullet, Robbo, monkeybarry and 8 others like this.
  17. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Vedran Corluka

Reading this article, he's head and shoulders above everyone when it comes to his goalscoring.
    Interesting statistical analysis also showing the limitations of relying on stats!

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ham/son-heung-min-xg-harry-kane-b1782968.html

18. MKSpur

MKSpur Terry Venables

Does this link to the nature of the way we now play is that we have less chances, but as many of them come on the counter they are better chances. So they are more likely to be one on ones with the keeper rather than trying to bend the ball past a defender or win a duel in the air? Is xG solely on the position of the ball when shooting agnostic of defenders position?

It does confirm what I’ve always felt about Sterling not being a reliable finisher, surprised Aguero is quite low in the list though.

metalgear likes this.
  19. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

Well the article does say that Son has been consistently outperforming his xG ever since he arrived.

It acknowledges that he is exceptionally good with both feet whereas xG allows for players to be weaker on one or the other.

Also that he is strong on the counter, but that still doesn't fully explain the anomally. After all, Vardy is also supposed to be exceptional on the counter but his xG performance is relatively low by comparison.

Maybe the reality is that none of us have fully appreciated the full range of skills that Son brings together to make him such a lethal striker. Think about it: who else is able to combine such exceptional pace with excellent ball control, dribbling skills and shot accuracy all at high speed? Maybe another factor that has come to the fore this season is the extra confidence and belief gained from the awards and recognition for his wonder goal against Burnley.

Add to all that Harry Kane's visionary passing combined with their telepathic understanding and maybe we are beginning to see why his numbers are so extraordinary this season.

20. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

Precisely, there is a MASSIVE difference between being 20 yards out faced with 8 defenders, or just a keeper on a breakaway.

Spur of the moment likes this.