• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Can you imagine if we nab 4th and Chelski win the CL again? I'll go jump off something really high.

For us to miss out Liverpool would have to win the Europa and finish outside the top 4 as well as Chelsea winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4. Only one of those happening isnt enough anymore.

For us to miss out Liverpool would have to win the Europa and finish outside the top 4 as well as Chel53a winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4. Only one of those happening isnt enough anymore.
That would just be the most sexy thing to happen, for us to finish above the Dippers and Chavs in the PL only for them to win both European trophies over the following fortnight so we end up being the only club ever to be demoted twice!!

I think the latest change only allows the EL winner entry without it affecting anyone else, ie. 5 places instead of 4.

I could have sworn that the winners now get their own place but again I may be wrong. Have tried looking on UEFA's website but doesn't seem to be any mention of it on there. If it's not a rule in place than I believe it should be. But regardless, would take a very big turn around for Chelsea to win the Champions League this time around.

Up to 5 clubs from any country can participate in the CL with the 4th placed team demoted to the Europa League only if both European competitions are won by clubs who finish outside the top 4 in the same nation.

Regulations of the UEFA Champions League 2015-18 Cycle
3.08 Exceptionally, an association may be represented by five clubs in the competition if the UEFA Champions League and/or UEFA Europa League titleholder does not also qualify through its domestic championship.

3.09 If the UEFA Champions League titleholder and the UEFA Europa League titleholder come from the same association and do not qualify for the competition through their domestic championship, one of the following scenarios applies:

a. If the association is entitled to four places in the competition and both titleholders qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic championship, the lowest-placed of the association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically transferred to the UEFA Europa League (into the UEFA Europa League group stage where a vacancy is created). In this case, the association of the titleholders is entitled to one additional place (total of five) in the UEFA Champions League, but the combined number of places to which it is entitled in the two competitions does not change.

b. If the association is entitled to four places in the competition and only one titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League through its domestic championship, the lowest-placed of the association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically transferred to the UEFA Europa League (into the UEFA Europa League group stage and the access list will be rebalanced accordingly). In this case, the association of the titleholders is entitled to one additional place (total of five) in the UEFA Champions League, but the number of places to which it is entitled in the UEFA Europa League does not change.

c. If the association is entitled to four places in the UEFA Champions League and neither titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League through its domestic championship, the lowest-placed of the association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically transferred to the UEFA Europa League (into the UEFA Europa League group stage and the access list will be rebalanced accordingly). In this case, the association of the titleholders is entitled to one additional place (total of five) in the UEFA Champions League and one additional place (total of four) in the UEFA Europa League.
http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/23/57/51/2235751_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Last edited:
I am convinced we need to finish in top 3 and above ManU if we want to qualify to the CL. As usual, just can't see us finishing in 4th. It seems like the 4th place is becoming a jinx for us.

Let's be realistic, we are still some way off top 4 material. After the fixture pile up towards the end of the year, we will fall away as our young and small swuad gets tired and Harry Kane gets injured/completely burns out.

We will just miss out on top 4 when yet again a possible opening has presented itself. We will bemoan the lack of signing another striker and we will have a half hearted moan at Levy.

If levy actually invests some money in Jan we might have a chance but we all know he will
Not so let's stop talking about top 4, we haven't got enough for a full season push. I hate this obsession with the top 4 anyway.

I think that's just an overly pessimistic outlook focused on your ideas of our weaknesses rather than a honest balanced look at things tbh @LCLC - sure we aren't perfect and you raise valid points on where we may fall down but n the hypothetical scenario where Chelsea are out of the running; which clubs don't have several weaknesses and are in a better position than us to take advantage?

Personally I see it as an obsession with wanting to do as well as we can and with wanting the club grow rather than 'obsession with top 4'

Last edited:
I agree with Billyiddo, let's just finish as high as we can, we get what we get

personally I can't see us finishing above the Manchester clubs and Arsenal and I certainly can't see us not finishing comfortably ahead of Liverpool, the interest is in how long it takes Chelsea to regroup (which I think is inevitable) and whether or not Bilic and Ranieri can pull off a miracle

Last edited:
I agree with @galeforce and @billyiddo - it is far too early in the season to be talking about this. We should take it one game at a time in all competitions and see where we are come late winter. I think that we are a match for anyone in this league but there is a lot of football to be played yet.

I think that's just an overly pessimistic outlook focused on your ideas of our weaknesses rather than a honest balanced look at things tbh @LCLC - sure we aren't perfect and you raise valid points on where we may fall down but n the hypothetical scenario where Chel53a are out of the running; which clubs don't have several weaknesses and are in a better position than us to take advantage?

Personally I see it as an obsession with wanting to do as well as we can and with wanting the club grow rather than 'obsession with top 4'

Can't agree. As much as I hate the club, their fans and media, liverpool have a great chance of finishing above us so I don't know why people think we are so much better than them? I don't think they are great (I dont think we are either) but they have some excellent options up top and come the second half of the season when injuries and fatigue take hold having danger men coming in can win games. Added to th fact that they have a good manager who will inspire confidence I would be very worried to bet we finish above them.

I fully agree that this is way to early to talk about this stuff but we are too short in some key areas and as a Spurs fan I know that wil
Bite us in the arse come May.

Signing perez in jan would be a good move as if anything happens to kane for a period of time then we will really struggle

That seems to me like you're looking at us in a worst case scenario whilst looking at Liverpool in a best case scenario - they're weak in the wide areas, have a shaky defence and have a new manager who by a lot of people's reckoning needs players a lot different to those he has in order to play his way - so there's going to be either a lot of square peg/round hole going on or he's going to have to think on his feet and work out how best to build a team with the players he has (whilst remaining competitive in the league picking up points to stay in front of us) - of course that could happen but it doesn't really seem like they're in a better position than ourselves who have a settled team which is in tune with how the manager wants to play and has good depth over all positions except CF

That seems to me like you're looking at us in a worst case scenario whilst looking at Liverpool in a best case scenario - they're weak in the wide areas, have a shaky defence and have a new manager who by a lot of people's reckoning needs players a lot different to those he has in order to play his way - so there's going to be either a lot of square peg/round hole going on or he's going to have to think on his feet and work out how best to build a team with the players he has (whilst remaining competitive in the league picking up points to stay in front of us) - of course that could happen but it doesn't really seem like they're in a better position than ourselves who have a settled team which is in tune with how the manager wants to play and has good depth over all positions except CF

Saw a bit of the pool game against cheat$ki and of course against us.

- Klopp seemingly is trying to get them to play at a frenetic pace all the time, without a preseason and without "his players", I just don't see that as sustainable.
- Honestly (and I'm going to get slated here), Klopp seems a bit naïve at times

I can see them winning a few games, I can also see a good counter attacking team destroy them badly once or twice this season, and I think they will be knackered come the last two months of season. They can be a threat, but people expecting great things from Klopp in this season? .. no

If and only if, we get Son fit again soon and sign a decent new striker in January, then we have a good chance of finishing top 4. Make no mistake, we will be underdogs like we were in 2009-10 and 2011-12, but I'm a big fan of what we've been doing this season.

That isn't guaranteed to happen though is it?

Far from it. England are still more than 3 points ahead of Italy, having gained slightly more than them so far this season. Next season will be the deciding one as England lose a lot more points in the season that is cut off.

Over a season it nearly always comes back to squad depth

We have a weakness in cover for Kane, basically cover for our main striker. IMO so do Arsenal and United (although who is united first choice striker anyway)

Where we do have a big strength is overall depth in midfield and defence

What we will need along the way is a bit of luck with some games I'm sure, and a bit if luck with injuries too

Arsenal for me would drop massively if they lost Sanchez as he is their driving force

Similarly when you see city without augero they lack a big dimension (possibly more so without silva)

It's a marathon not a sprint so hard to predict with any certainty where we will finish but right now top 4 looks well within our reach

Back