• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

That's the fear........we're gonna end up arguing over one or the other for the foreseeable .....when both are just a bit bricky in one way or another, and quite probably not good enough if we look at our rivals.

Might as well give KWP a spin, he may just surprise us with a run of games and looking at Serge and Tripps could jump to no.1 RB let alone back-up.
Poch is not stupid. There is a reason why he still isn't going with KWP. Are you forgetting he had to be withdrawn at HT against Newport - yes Newport! - in a LC tie last January?

Which PL full backs would we swap an on-form pairing of Trippier + Davies for?

Shaw? Nah.
Young? Ew.
Mendy? fudge nah.
Walker? fudge off.
Alexander-Arnold? Nah.
Gomez? No ta.
Milner? Haha.
Azpilicueta? Nope.
Alonso? Drive me into a ditch.

We're pretty lucky all-in-all and are spacegoating our FB's unfairly at the moment.

If you say "on-form" then that counts for the players who we'd swap, they'd be on-form too. In that case, I'd swap any of those players apart from Shaw, Young and Milner. The rest are all better players imo.

Which PL full backs would we swap an on-form pairing of Trippier + Davies for?

Shaw? Nah.
Young? Ew.
Mendy? fudge nah.
Walker? fudge off.
Alexander-Arnold? Nah.
Gomez? No ta.
Milner? Haha.
Azpilicueta? Nope.
Alonso? Drive me into a ditch.

We're pretty lucky all-in-all and are spacegoating our FB's unfairly at the moment.
Agree with your point that we have decent FBs - four of them in fact. But Azpilicueta and Alonso are very good FBs, Alonso is definitely better than our LBs....

I do think Poch might start Aurier v Palace. He didn't play 90 minutes, he will rest during the international break as he's not involved there. And I don't have much confidence in an out of form Trippier dealing with Zaha.

Thought he did okay last night. Defensively, he wasn't tested too much and did what he had to do fairly well without being brilliant. Going forward, he wasted a lot of good crossing opportunities that Trippier probably would have done better with. So nothing we didn't know or expect. I was one of the ones calling for him to play after Wolves but in retrospect, given how poor we knew PSV were, Trippier probably would have been a better option. I'd still start Aurier on Saturday.

Poch is not stupid. There is a reason why he still isn't going with KWP. Are you forgetting he had to be withdrawn at HT against Newport - yes Newport! - in a LC tie last January?
Yeah I forgot that along with all the iffy games Aurier or Tripps have had:D.or perhaps it is you that is forgetting those?. Hence my suggestion of taking a chance on an alternative.

I can see what Aurier is (risky and a bit brainless) and I can see what Tripper is (vunerable against quality and iffy positionally) all issues in the top 6 clashes that ultimately decide the league.

Not saying KWP is the answer but there is potential that's undiscovered compared to Tripps and Serge who IMO are who they are.

And there is a chance that Poch is not playing the '3rd choice guy' as the two ''first choice' guys may disengage and we end up with more hard to sell junk. Poch does like to keep people sweet...to a point. Of course it could be he's not seeing enough in training from KWP.

Yeah I forgot that along with all the iffy games Aurier or Tripps have had:D.or perhaps it is you that is forgetting those?. Hence my suggestion of taking a chance on an alternative.

I can see what Aurier is (risky and a bit brainless) and I can see what Tripper is (vunerable against quality and iffy positionally) all issues in the top 6 clashes that ultimately decide the league.

Not saying KWP is the answer but there is potential that's undiscovered compared to Tripps and Serge who IMO are who they are.

And there is a chance that Poch is not playing the '3rd choice guy' as the two ''first choice' guys may disengage and we end up with more hard to sell junk. Poch does like to keep people sweet...to a point. Of course it could be he's not seeing enough in training from KWP.
What I'm suggesting is that Poch probably fears it could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Don't forget KWP also got bullied in his recent outing against West Ham. Poch would have had a good look at him in that game and made his decision accordingly.

If nothing else both Trips and Aurier are far more experienced and that becomes more critical in must-win games.

For all his recent lapses Trippier is far superior going forward. At the end of the day we did end up winning against Wolves and he played a significant role in the build up to two of the goals, including a pin-sharp floated cross that put it on a plate for Moura to head home. Exactly the sort of cross that time and again was so painfully lacking against PSV last night.

Remember also that Aurier had been showing excellent form up until his injury. So maybe he just needs a couple more games to get back into the groove.

Finally, although KWP can occasionally produce a decent cross you would hardly call it his speciality.

Last edited:
Just because a player is bought off for another player in his position doesn’t mean he had a bad game. It makes sense if Lorente is coming on to put Trippier on as his deliveries are more accurate. But I remember Aurier putting in some decent crosses, he’s just consistently not as accurate. But let’s remember there aren’t many FBs whose crosses are that good consistently, Auriers are definitely better than Walker for example. Aurier can actually beat a man with skill aswell which is good, and to me I am becoming less nervous when he’s on the ball and think his brain farts are becoming less frequent. That ball that went for a corner, I can’t defend him seeing that out though...what was he thinking:D

I dont think he saw it go off the Spurs player.

I dont think he saw it go off the Spurs player.

Yeah, I think in his defence, he anticipated a ball to their left winger and turned his back on the play to cover that just as the ball was being played and just didn't see the deflection off our player. He probably should have seen it but he should have got a shout as GGG says.

He looked stupid because everyone saw what happened so it looked like he must have known but he obviously didn't. I wouldn't criticise him too much for it as he was trying to anticipate the pass and adjust his body position accordingly.

What I'm suggesting is that Poch probably fears it could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Don't forget KWP also got bullied in his recent outing against West Ham. Poch would have had a good look at him in that game and made his decision accordingly.

If nothing else both Trips and Aurier are far more experienced and that becomes more critical in must-win games.

For all his recent lapses Trippier is far superior going forward. At the end of the day we did end up winning against Wolves and he played a significant role in the build up to two of the goals, including a pin-sharp floated cross that put it on a plate for Moura to head home. Exactly the sort of cross that time and again was so painfully lacking against PSV last night.

Remember also that Aurier had been showing excellent form up until his injury. So maybe he just needs a couple more games to get back into the groove.

Finally, although KWP can occasionally produce a decent cross you would hardly call it his speciality.
I agree its not without risk.

But they are all open to poor games. Tripps is a fantastic crosser, machine like, perfect for games we dominate where he is often in a position to throw the crosses in. I prefer him to Aurier, who at nearly 26 we're not likely to coach out his traits.

My main point is their downsides will be punished by the top 6 and a barrier to progress.

KWP may not be the answer but Alexander Arnold and Robertson probably weren't at some point either.

I thought Davies had a good game, best for a while. Aurier was okay, I couldn't see much to complain about.

I thought he (Davies) was pretty poor, his touch and passing/crossing were bad most of the night. Managed to lob one in at the end that Harry headed, 2 deflections later it's in. Thankful for that, but he is way below where he has been when in top form imo.

Back