• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Mason and Carroll play different positions/roles, don't they?

Carroll - deep playmaker
Mason - attacking center mid/forward

His guy has outstanding technique. As someone above says, he always seems to go for the measured place, rather than the rushed thunderbolt. Even his shot, while spectacular was not a random "i'm just gonna leather this" shot, he looked up and placed it almost gracefully right into the top corner.

I totally agree with the thing about while everyone else was taking 3-4 touches, he takes 1-2. I don't want to go OTT, but considering how much better we looked in pre-season compared to the matches and how much better we looked last night when he came on, i want to go so far as to say he's a Carrick/Modric type player in that you stick him in the team and he makes the whole team look better as he gets the ball to the forwards quicker, giving them more space, making them look better, he takes the ball off defenders quicker and more confidently, allowing the defence to settle and not make panicked clearances, he gets the ball out wide quicker, making the full-backs look better.

He plays the game so simply, yet so accurately, he makes the whole game look better. Pleasure to watch both in pre-season and last night and I really hope he breaks into the team sooner rather than later and has a great career with us.

It's difficult not to go too OTT when you finally see someone who moves the ball quickly and forward rather than the pedestrian, slow sideways or backwards movement.

What I like about Mason is that he showed intent and purpose to get the ball moving forwards and quickly...it wasn't just a lump forward at every attempt, there was thought, creativity and more often than not an end product! He showed bottle and responsibility in a difficult situation and very unnerving atmosphere. The crowd were on edge and ready to turn but he wanted the ball, the chance and made things happen. It doesn't bother me that not every attempt will find his target and that there will be mistakes but I liked what I saw rather than Bentaleb's mind numbing, bottling sideways and backwards all the time when he still ends up giving the ball away a ridiculous number of occasions.

I would be tempted to play him in a 3 alongside 2 from Capoue, Dembele and Stambouli tomorrow but if not tomorrow I'd like to see him being given a chance now he's fit as he certainly offers something different and lacking from what we currently have! Who knows may even save us £30m in the long run!

Think we could do a lot worse than this suggestion! Could be a Danny Rose all over again

Yep he's worth at least 30mins at the end if we need a little forward thrust and some more attacking nous. He look's like he has that elusive trait, character, though I'm not sure he is ready to shoulder the burden of expectation that comes with being a Spurs CM in a North London Derby.

As an aside, I am pleasantly surprised at the type and quality of player that the academy is producing. Sure they are good players to start with and they are in a good coaching environment but I'm still happy to see players breaking through. How good would it be to see a midfield trio of Mason, Carroll and Bentaleb behind Prichard, Townsend and Kane a few years down the road. The beer is getting to me now and I'm getting a little maudlin but I have more time for our own, always.

i remember o'hara making his debut in NLD at Emirates, was damn good that day..ahh, if only robbie didnt miss a pen.

Mason and Carroll play different positions/roles, don't they?

Carroll - deep playmaker
Mason - attacking center mid/forward

I've seen more of Carroll than I have Mason, but I've never been that impressed with Carroll when he has been sitting as a deep midfielder, he has always impressed me more when playing closer to the front man. Mason has a greater range of passing and a great eye for goal, but Carroll can spot and play those eye of the needle passes imo.

It was a wonder goal by Mason against Forest. But he should not let it go to his head. We have seen so any of our youngsters go missing after scoring wonder goals in the past.

Mason has moved back deeper. Regardless, he proved himself different league to paulinho. End of. The Brazilian can not get back in our squad

Mason has moved back deeper. Regardless, he proved himself different league to paulinho. End of. The Brazilian can not get back in our squad

Paulinho isn't really in contention for the two CM spots anyway. He can do a job further forward, but not with Lennon and Townsend either side of him.

Paulinho isn't really in contention for the two CM spots anyway. He can do a job further forward, but not with Lennon and Townsend either side of him.

No he really can't and it's not Lennon or Townsend's fault either.

As for Mason i think he could do a really good job just behind the striker. Positionally in the deeper role he lacked positional sense but he has something about him when he attacks. As a poster said, he has striking similarities with Adam Lallana when in possession and the way he runs so yes i think he looks very promising but today he has Capoue to thank for putting in a superb performance in the DM role.

No he really can't and it's not Lennon or Townsend's fault either.

As for Mason i think he could do a really good job just behind the striker. Positionally in the deeper role he lacked positional sense but he has something about him when he attacks. As a poster said, he has striking similarities with Adam Lallana when in possession and the way he runs so yes i think he looks very promising but today he has Capoue to thank for putting in a superb performance in the DM role.

We've got loads of players that can do that though. Whereas we don't have a deep-sitting ballplayer.

I think it will be easier to teach him positional discipline, than it will to teach any of our other CMs how to pass.

Him and Capoue are a nice combo - quite complementary.

I thought he was solid today .
We set up to play the CMs deep with Mason doing a bit more pressing and Capoue defending the passing triangles and any space created.
Using Mason to MAKE the Good play a pass so we could control the 2nd ball.
It doesn't matter if you don't win the ball as long as you make the opposition do what you want them to do.

I thought our CM did that excellently and Arsenal played very few incisive through balls as a result.

We've got loads of players that can do that though. Whereas we don't have a deep-sitting ballplayer.

I think it will be easier to teach him positional discipline, than it will to teach any of our other CMs how to pass.

Him and Capoue are a nice combo - quite complementary.
Judging by todays game i don't agree.

It's not as easy as you make out to 'train' naturally advanced players to play that deep lying role because they're instinctively going to want to push forward. Today that's exactly what happened and mason was finding himself in very odd positions when Gooners attacked.

It's not as easy as you make out to 'train' naturally advanced players to play that deep lying role because they're instinctively going to want to push forward. Today that's exactly what happened and mason was finding himself in very odd positions when Gooners attacked.

Even very experienced central midfielders will find themselves out of position at times when trying to pick up the likes of Ozil, Wheelchair, Ramsey, Sanchez etc. All of those players are a nightmare to pick up in that position right in front of the centre halfs, and Capoue and Mason will have much easier days defensively.

What I'm excited about is when Mason goes up against a team where he will have to do less defensive work (and when our front four will have less tracking back to do). I think he can release those players at a pace quick enough to get them in good positions.

Simply put, this wasn't a game tailor made for him, and even in tough circumstances, he acquitted himself quite well.

I know Mason was an ACM/#10 when he was ripping up the youth team about 5 years ago. But I think he's been playing deeper for quite a while now. I saw him in CM in a 4-4-2 for Doncaster in about 2010 IIRC.

I know Mason was an ACM/#10 when he was ripping up the youth team about 5 years ago. But I think he's been playing deeper for quite a while now. I saw him in CM in a 4-4-2 for Doncaster in about 2010 IIRC.

He's not been playing deeper out of choice. #10 is his preferred position but as you said we have a few players who can play there.

Back