• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

I'd be in favour of having a scoreboard with the time clearly displayed so that way, everyone knows how much time there is left and the officials can't tack on additional "Fergie time" so to speak. Don't know what it has to be so cloak and dagger. The system at the moment is too arbitrary, refs only blow the final whistle when the ball is up in the air or immediately after the goalie has taken a goal kick.
I agree with this one. The 4th official should control the time keeping (one less thing for the ref to worry about) and it should be linked to the stadium clock or something like that. When it's over, it is over.

The problem is that once the injury time has been announced, one side can be wasting time. With a stadium clock it would be impossible for the referee to account for this.

The only transparent solution is a stadium clock with the referee stopping the clock.

I think it is a good idea as we might see better football, or at least less of the decline as players tire and managers go negative so as not to lose. Extra-time can be so drab when the managers and players are waiting for penalties.
But the point is to try and find a winner, and that happens as players tire more and more, not bringing on fresh legs. They should remove 2 players from each team, not bring more on, for extra time.

The problem is that once the injury time has been announced, one side can be wasting time. With a stadium clock it would be impossible for the referee to account for this.

The only transparent solution is a stadium clock with the referee stopping the clock.
I would suggest no injury time being declared just 90mins with the stadium clock being stopped for subs, injuries, etc. No adding 30 seconds per sub nonsense. Just stop the clock for as long as it takes to do the sub. If the team takes 5 minutes doing a sub then the clock is stopped for 5 mins.

There are valid time wasting techniques (e.g. Kane/hoof/offside/spit/genius ;) ) and illegal ones. Illegal ones should be punished by adding a minute back onto the time remaining even if the time wasted is less. That would discourage time wasting fairly quickly.

I'd take the time keeping away from the ref too as he has enough on his plate.

I would suggest no injury time being declared just 90mins with the stadium clock being stopped for subs, injuries, etc. No adding 30 seconds per sub nonsense. Just stop the clock for as long as it takes to do the sub. If the team takes 5 minutes doing a sub then the clock is stopped for 5 mins.

There are valid time wasting techniques (e.g. Kane/hoof/offside/spit/genius ;) ) and illegal ones. Illegal ones should be punished by adding a minute back onto the time remaining even if the time wasted is less. That would discourage time wasting fairly quickly.

I'd take the time keeping away from the ref too as he has enough on his plate.

You probably don't need longer matches than 60 or 70 minutes if the clock is stopped when play stops. It's the only way to combat time wasting properly though.

You probably don't need longer matches than 60 or 70 minutes if the clock is stopped when play stops. It's the only way to combat time wasting properly though.
Sure, but I'm not saying stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. Just pretty much keep the stoppages to what they are now. Injuries, subs, time wasting, etc.

Sure, but I'm not saying stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. Just pretty much keep the stoppages to what they are now. Injuries, subs, time wasting, etc.

Huge amount of time wasting on throw ins and goal kicks.....

That seems to be true of a lot of the "rule changes". They are attempts to get referees to enforce the rules that already exist.

I'd like to see a different interpretation of the obstruction laws. The way players block off the opposition as the ball runs out of play annoys me. A lot of the grappling and groping in the penalty area could be considered obstruction and an indirect free kick in the area could add to the entertainment. A plus is that the referee would call the offences more often, but a negative is it gives him a let out on giving penalties for egregious cases. Similarly a lot of the questionable penalty calls are defenders blocking off the attacker and the attacker falling over to try and get a penalty. Again this could be an easy option for an indecisive referee, but I think it is good to give the referees more options.

Falling on the ball and grabbing it forcing the ref to stop play should be an automatic yellow. Noticing a lot of recently and refs are giving very soft free kicks rather than deal with it.

I'd be in favour of having a scoreboard with the time clearly displayed so that way, everyone knows how much time there is left and the officials can't tack on additional "Fergie time" so to speak. Don't know what it has to be so cloak and dagger. The system at the moment is too arbitrary, refs only blow the final whistle when the ball is up in the air or immediately after the goalie has taken a goal kick.

Never understood this. Even if we're well into added time with all stgoppages accounted for if the ball go's off for a goal kick they let the goalie boot it before blowing the whistle.

Never understood this. Even if we're well into added time with all stgoppages accounted for if the ball go's off for a goal kick they let the goalie boot it before blowing the whistle.

Clear sign of someone not knowing the rules. They are under no obligation to see out a phase of play. When time is up it's up.

Yeah, Thomas or something. Think he denied Brazil a goal when he blew for time while the shot was in the air or something.

Not anymore. Used to be like that, because it was stated in the rules that the ball had to be in play when blowing for half/full time. Rule was change a few years ago.

They do this in Rugby don't they. It seems to work perfectly. Everyone knows EXACTLY how much time is left. Currently, nobody knows for sure and there is always an element of surprise - specially when a team is desperate for a goal, to earn a draw or win.

Sent from my Safari mobile using DrumTalk.

Re time wasting and added on time, if a team is wasting time when the game is even then lose a late goal, then no added time.

Back