1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Rodrigo Bentancur

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jan 2022.

1. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

After a really bright start I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Bentancur recently, or at the very least whelmed.

Perhaps he's getting more attention from opposition, they know they can't give him time and space now. But would have liked to see him grab hold of things a bit more. Instead there's been too many slow touches and losses of possession. Not quite as many top quality tackles either.

Hopefully just a slight blip, natural inconsistency after arriving in a new league and system from a still fairly young player.

Would like to see one or two real stellar performances from him this season. Really show what he can do.

2. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Jimmy Neighbour

I think the pace Liverpool played at caught him out a bit, that and pressure we under restricted our forward movement which limited his options.

harr1984 likes this.
  3. Yiddo

Yiddo Johnny Morrison

He has not been at the standard he was in his first couple of matches. It’s been 3 or 4 games where he hasn’t been great. Obviously he had the new transfer pop but i think now he is adapting to the various tactical game we have over here with every team setting up in different ways home and away.

metalgear likes this.
  4. 90291Spur

90291Spur Christian Ziege

If he can get the dwelling on the ball too long out of his system it would improve his game.

5. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

The other team has had a 3 against our 2 in the last few games.

6. Yiddo

Yiddo Johnny Morrison

Still no excuse for losing the ball so easily and passing to the other team, Winks would get ridiculed for it so its only fair others in his position do too.

DeanoAustin and metalgear like this.
  7. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Yep getting worried for him. Played badly and could not make his presence felt lately.

8. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Hojbjerg was arguably our best player across those two games.

Bentancur has still shown what he can do and is an excellent signing. Everyone's allowed a few bad games. As long as he turns up on Thursday...

papaspur and braineclipse like this.
  9. spasm

spasm Gudni Bergsson

...that was quick

NickTB, Bullet, parklane1 and 7 others like this.
  10. DubSpur

DubSpur Sergei Rebrov

He's moved to a new country and getting used to a faster league than he has played in previously.
    A below average game or two is to be expected, especially against a team like Liverpool that press so hard and give little time on the ball.
    He has mostly been one of our better players since coming in and will only improve as he settles in.

parklane1, Robbo, harr1984 and 3 others like this.
  11. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

Definitely agreed. Worth pointing out that even at a below average level he still did useful things, made himself available. Even though there weren't highly visible defensive actions like crunching tackles or vital interceptions he did his job well defensively.

A fairly high floor of performances is a very good thing. Just more exciting when he gets closer to his ceiling.

harr1984, DubSpur and DeanoAustin like this.
  12. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

He's definitely dropped a level in the last few games, but i don't see much difference between his level and PEH who is getting plaudits.
    If we continue to try and play out from the back to draw teams out he will be a vital cog, but that will take time to bed in.

metalgear likes this.
  13. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

He was very good against Leicester.

The Scouse game is always going to be a toughy. He likes time on the ball, and one team who will not give you that is the scousers.

braineclipse likes this.
  14. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

Are you referring to his turn in form or the posts reacting to it?

If the latter, from what i’ve read on the thread, it doesn’t seem like anyone is going over the top in their observations.

15. MKSpur

MKSpur Johnny Morrison

I wonder if he's carrying a minor injury, didn't he eventually go off recently after a nasty looking over stretch?

braineclipse and kendoddsdadsdog like this.
  16. kendoddsdadsdog

kendoddsdadsdog Andy Reid

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing through an injury given our complete lack of options in the middle.

17. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Are you surprised. One or two poor games and all players are brick to some.;)

spasm likes this.
  18. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

Bentancur is excellent. He dallied for 1 second against Pool and they crunched him, but other than that, he is excellent.

I also like the fact he is Uruguayan. Gustavo Poyet is interesting on the Graham Hunter Podcast, explaining that Uruguayans are never the biggest/richest/best but they have that mentality to never lose, to always strive that extra inch to beat the opponent, whatever it takes and become the winners, no matter the cost.

Poyet also mentioned Gimenez, the left sided centre back of Atletico Madrid. I'll be honest, I know almost nothing about him, but it did make me daydream for a moment and think "what if Cholo Simeone retires in the summer, what if Gimenez wants to challenge himself in the Prem, what if Bentancur has been talking to him, what if we can afford his fee and his wages, what if he is better than Ben Davies..."

I admit I am basing this largely on Godin, who has been an incredible player for the last 8 decades.

braineclipse and AdamB like this.
  19. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

We have been linked with Giminez

20. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

Thought he was immense tonight.

Bedfordspurs and AdamB like this.