• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

Yesterday he had 120 something touches, and 98 passes, which means he plays a lot of one touch.

I'd rather he doesn't do this move on the edge of the box too often, almost gave me a heart attack, but its brilliantly audacious, beautiful and a reason to watch football!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbXq56JFUF2/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Most places that report "touches" are not reporting actual touches of the ball, but "involvements", number of times the player is on the ball (not sure if tackles and blocks count, but would think so).

Receiving the ball, taking three touches to pass it on counts as one touch, one pass.

He's certainly well capable of playing quickly, for me seems to make good decisions on when to do that and when to hold on to the ball.

Someone has posted a 3.5 minute Youtube of Bentancur ("Tottenham Clips"), with snippets from 4 or 5 games including Wolves, United, Everton, Brighton. The guy is an absolute monster of the penetrating forward ball. He's like an all action version of Carrick, you have to worry that injury will strike but he looks to me to be our best midfielder since Modric. OK, cynics would say there hasn't been much competition, and it is very early days but if he can carry on like this, we have the prospect of a really good team again. Bring on Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Someone has posted a 3.5 minute Youtube of Bentancur ("Tottenham Clips"), with snippets from 4 or 5 games including Wolves, United, Everton, Brighton. The guy is an absolute monster of the penetrating forward ball. He's like an all action version of Carrick, you have to worry that injury will strike but he looks to me to be our best midfielder since Modric. OK, cynics would say there hasn't been much competition, and it is very early days but if he can carry on like this, we have the prospect of a really good team again. Bring on Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

This one?

You mentioned injury while he's on international duty! We're doomed and it'll be all your fault.

Carrick is an interesting comparison.

Think Carrick had better long range passing. He was also excellent in his defensive positioning and reading of the game, nor sure we've seen enough of Bentancur yet to make a real comparison.

But there are also areas where Bentancur is quite clearly better than Carrick. Better direct ball winner, more mobility, better dribbler I think.

To me he looks like a real gem of a player. Very few weaknesses, so many strong attributes. Very experienced for his age too, with what seems like a good attitude.

Bentancur is more Modric than Carrick to me. Both footed, passes with the inside and outside of the boot, and directs play with the a pass, not just to feet but the right side for a player to turn and progress.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Better than Dembele? Massive call that and, as much as I like Bentancur, he has a long way to go to reach that level.

I know the "end product" line will probably be thrown out but what Dembele brought to the was central to making Poch's team work. He had such unique ability.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...mbination-of-technical-guile-and-hard-running

Nice recognition of the boy.
And a lovely little fact about how he and Dejan ran the most by any PL player in any game this season against Emirates Marketing Project.
Wow. Bentancur's 13.1km is almost up to peak Eriksen levels -- I seem to remember our Dane hitting 13.6km at one point.

Kulusevski managing 13.0km might be even more impressive, considering that he's not a central midfielder.

Back