• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Refereeing/ blaming referee

It's nowhere near as bad as it is in football. Football is quite literally in a different league when it comes to focus on referees!

Disagree. Relative to the impact they have on the game the refs get a lot of attention in most sports. Of course the amount of attention football gets increases that attention.

A lot of good points here but I don't think you can overhaul a system all at once. At the moment refs are often bullied in to decisions by players and managers. As already pointed out, this is easy to stop with yellow/red cards. No cost and it can be applied to all levels of football and it could start today. It is so refreshing watching rugby which makes football like WWE in comparison where the ref is left to do his job.

Football is entertaining and thrilling at times but it is also a morally corrupt greedy sport played in bad spirit mostly. You have players who swear,bully, spit, bite, dive, feign injury and even racially abuse others. You have arrogant managers who deflect sole blame on the ref complaining of campaigns against their team, who spend half the game berating the 4th official and few give genuine credit to the opposition as GHod forbid, maybe their team got outplayed. You have fans who sing racist, antisemite and generally foul mouthed nasty songs- as low as singing about plane crashes, spending again half the game moaning/swearing, groaning and booing instead of GHod forbid supporting their own team.

Despite, all that the ref is the main problem??

it's a question of scale not focus

you get more officiating mistakes in a single PL game than you do in an entire test series or Wimbledon championship

it's not solely the fault of referees, although some are poor and swayed by instinct and environment rather than being the emotionless robots they should be, the system accepts mediocrity, we should have 15 officials at pitch level every game, 30 more watching TV screens, all with direct access to the referees earpiece, everything should be monitored and acted upon instantly, every player should have a pair of officiating eyes on him for every second of every game, players should be chipped like the ball to automate offside decisions, there is so much money in the game lets use that to take away the controversy

GHod help us :eek: not being funny but do you live in the states.

A lot of good points here but I don't think you can overhaul a system all at once. At the moment refs are often bullied in to decisions by players and managers. As already pointed out, this is easy to stop with yellow/red cards. No cost and it can be applied to all levels of football and it could start today. It is so refreshing watching rugby which makes football like WWE in comparison where the ref is left to do his job.

Football is entertaining and thrilling at times but it is also a morally corrupt greedy sport played in bad spirit mostly. You have players who swear,bully, spit, bite, dive, feign injury and even racially abuse others. You have arrogant managers who deflect sole blame on the ref complaining of campaigns against their team, who spend half the game berating the 4th official and few give genuine credit to the opposition as GHod forbid, maybe their team got outplayed. You have fans who sing racist, antisemite and generally foul mouthed nasty songs- as low as singing about plane crashes, spending again half the game moaning/swearing, groaning and booing instead of GHod forbid supporting their own team.

Despite, all that the ref is the main problem??

That's because its so easy to blame refs, there has always got to be a spacegoat ( especially when your team gets beat).

i don't care how long it lasts, i want the result to be exactly representative of what occurred on the pitch

i don't care how long it lasts, i want the result to be exactly representative of what occurred on the pitch

How much longer would the game be extended by? Let's say each team had one challenge or perhaps two? How many games descend into chaos for minutes on end because of a massive disagreement on the pitch between the ref and the two teams? I would happily introduce video replays purely for sendings off and incidents in the penalty box.

But the biggest thing I would like to change is the stupid rule that the FA cannot act if the ref has seen the incident, but took no action. It's ludicrous, everyone in every walk of life and industry makes mistakes, refs are no different.

There is simply too much on the line these days for clubs financially to just shrug your shoulders if the ref costs a team their place in the league or a trophy and say "it all evens out" or that's football.

But the biggest thing I would like to change is the stupid rule that the FA cannot act if the ref has seen the incident, but took no action. It's ludicrous, everyone in every walk of life and industry makes mistakes, refs are no different.

completely agree. at the very least, they should change the rules so that any act of violence, gross misconduct, assault etc will be dealt with retrospectively, regardless of whether the ref thinks he saw something or not.

I wonder if Collina would've still been held in quite such high esteem had he done a stint in the PL and thus come under the scrutiny of pundits assessing every decision with multi-angle HD replays... could've been entertaining watching Terry and the rest of the Chavs try to bully him into doing their bidding though...

I'm not a big rugby fan, but rugby has it right, a camera and microphone on the ref, and utmost respect from the teams, they do what he tells them to do, or they are put in a sin bin for 10 minutes to think about it.

And they send any close calls to the TV ref who takes about 20 seconds to view it from all angles. And if he still gets it wrong, it proves it is a mega tough decision where 6 TV angles are inconclusive, so that is fair enough really.

What angers me most in football is when a decision is clearly wrong but I am not angry at the ref, that poor sod sees it once, whilst running, whilst wiping sweat out of his eyes, he has no chance really, I'm amazed they get so much right. I am angry at the lack of TV refs; we've all seen it is the wrong decision on TV within 10 seconds, meanwhile the next 75 minutes of the game are my favourite buttplug.

how many other sports are their where the referees constantly have so much influence on the outcome of the game? of all the big spectator sports, i cant think of any that comes close to football

What other big spectator sports are there?

Cricket - used technology for a long while as an aid to decision making
Rugby - ditto
Tennis - ditto
American Football - ditto plus 7 "referees" each with a specific area to look at.
Baseball - Who cares :)

Soccer - still relies on one referee who is often 10 to 20 yards away in an obscured position required to make a decision aided by two assistants who don't assist.

I'm not a big rugby fan, but rugby has it right, a camera and microphone on the ref, and utmost respect from the teams, they do what he tells them to do, or they are put in a sin bin for 10 minutes to think about it.

And they send any close calls to the TV ref who takes about 20 seconds to view it from all angles. And if he still gets it wrong, it proves it is a mega tough decision where 6 TV angles are inconclusive, so that is fair enough really.

What angers me most in football is when a decision is clearly wrong but I am not angry at the ref, that poor sod sees it once, whilst running, whilst wiping sweat out of his eyes, he has no chance really, I'm amazed they get so much right. I am angry at the lack of TV refs; we've all seen it is the wrong decision on TV within 10 seconds, meanwhile the next 75 minutes of the game are my favourite buttplug.

Add in being surrounded by players shouting in his face and often from an obscured position because they are not fit enough to keep up with play.

it seems to me that refs have been instructed NOT to give to penalties unless its absolutely blatant, the only exception being the pen southampton got against chelsea - it seems the diving thing has got so out of hand refs are erring on the side of caution, I wish there was more consistency from linos, as they can see down the line, most have a better view than the refs, some are flag wavers and help the refs, others are just content flagging for offside and that's it.

I'm not a big fan of replays, it makes watching an NFL game painful, using the other 2 officials on the pitch more would be a start, they should be consulted on every big decision

What other big spectator sports are there?

Cricket - used technology for a long while as an aid to decision making
Rugby - ditto
Tennis - ditto
American Football - ditto plus 7 "referees" each with a specific area to look at.
Baseball - Who cares :)

Soccer - still relies on one referee who is often 10 to 20 yards away in an obscured position required to make a decision aided by two assistants who don't assist.

Even when they add help in UEFA games, the extra officials seem to do even more non-assisting.

The Wales-Ireland game at the week-end had an excellent example of how it works. Early in the game the referee made a number of fairly strict calls on both sides, explained to them each time how he would be refereeing that aspect and later during play telling them to get away to avoid further calls. Later in the game we had long sequences of play without penalties because the players knew what they could and couldn't do.

Even when they add help in UEFA games, the extra officials seem to do even more non-assisting.

the two extra officials on the goalline in CL matches is typical of an organisation like UEFA, have they ever made any sort of ruling that's made a difference to a game, I can't remember one instance

Back