• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Chelsea

He was Ekotto's man. Ekotto let him go and King had to pick him up. Then King pushed up, Walker played him on side. It was a complete cluster fudge. Ekotto also let Mata go in the first half and Mata probably should have scored.

OMG wow it's amazing what you can see when you reallllllyyyyyyyyy want too.

That was King's man and it was clear at the time. Instead of staying with his man he decided to follow the ball and push up which left the player unmarked. Ekotto then sees this and tries to cover but it's too late and the damage is done.

On 3 occasions in the first half King stops when the game hasn't been stopped by the ref to protest for a call. He literally just stopped and put his hand up when the opposition were still attacking (Gallas did it twice too tbf but at the very least had his arms up whilst he was still running). If Ekotto did that the Ekotto haters on here would have had a field day. Instead they try and pass Kings mistake on the goal onto Ekotto.

After watching the vid, agreeeeed.

Come on, that goal wasn't Ekotto's fault. Ramires had come right inside, Ekotto left him to Ledley as he had no-one else to mark, and Ekotto also had Bosingwa to cover as Bale was nowhere to be seen. As you say, it was the miscommunication between the other three that was the issue.

Why did Ekotto leave him to King? That was mistake number one. If Ramires pulls wide behind Ekotto King can't go with him. Ekotto stopped and left him to King, but he shouldn't have. He was Ekotto's man. The irony is Ekotto usually comes too far infield when he doesn't need to so his winger often receives the ball in acres of space. This time he chose not to. As for Walker, I have no idea what he was doing.

After watching the vid, agreeeeed.

I mean it's clear as day tbh.

Ekotto's man was Bosingwa and that's who he was keeping an eye on. Ledley's man was Ramires and instead of staying close to him he decides to run forward (GHod knows why) and results in Ramires being free. Walker was in a good position too as Chelski had no one on the left wing so he decided to get closer to Gallas to make it a 2 on 1 situation vs Drogba (sadly that resulted in him playing Ramires onside).

If indeed people are still trying to claim Ramires was Ekotto's man and Bosingwa was also his man then who the hell was King's man? lol gimme a break lol.

Why did Ekotto leave him to King? That was mistake number one. If Ramires pulls wide behind Ekotto King can't go with him. Ekotto stopped and left him to King, but he shouldn't have. He was Ekotto's man. The irony is Ekotto usually comes too far infield when he doesn't need to so his winger often receives the ball in acres of space. This time he chose not to. As for Walker, I have no idea what he was doing.

You're unbelievable. I GUARANTEE if Ekotto coming in field resulted in the ball being played out wide to Boswinga who then fires in a cross for Drogba to score you'd be the first to bitch about what the hell Ekotto was doing and why Bosingwa is free.

According to you Ekotto was in charge of marking Ramires AND Bosingwa and Ledley had no one :ross:

Cudicini kept us in the game in the beginning of the second half and was not at fault for any of the goals IMO.

Gallas was bullied hard today and gave up at the end.

Walker is brick at crossing and BAE gets his arse licked far to much on here and is 1 of our weak links.

Everyone else was average at best apart from VDV who had a good game.

Last edited:
You're unbelievable. I GUARANTEE if Ekotto coming in field resulted in the ball being played out wide to Boswinga who then fires in a cross for Drogba to score you'd be the first to bitch about what the hell Ekotto was doing and why Bosingwa is free.

According to you Ekotto was in charge of marking Ramires AND Bosingwa and Ledley had no one :ross:

Ledley went to close down the ball and he pointed to BAE to pick up Ramires and BAE as usual just strolls and loses his man.

up until the 3rd goal i honestly thought we were well in with a chance and unlucky to be losing - was that just me having the beer goggles on ??

No I thought the same tbh, going in at 0-1 down at HT was a massive kick in the teeth and against the run of play IMO.

Still, didn't convert our chances in the first half and we paid for it when Atkinson Foyked us and we were left chasing for the rest of it.

Over rated more like. When has he delivered at all this season. The stats dont lie like some on here pretend. Sorry to disullusion you guys, but he isnt the best thing since sliced bread. He doesnt even do what it says on the tin.

That's an extremely disappointing view. It's surprising to see him so unappreciated that someone can ask when he's delivered at all this season.

Over-rated by us, perhaps. But we'll over-rate every single Spurs player given the chance. I think if everyone on this board made a Premier League XI, there would be far more Spurs players in it than if random football fans made Premier League XIs, but that's the same with all supporters. When you consider how highly people talk of Walker, Kaboul, King, BAE, Bale and plenty of others, I don't think Modric is over-rated out of proportion to everyone else.

That said, when things were going well, we might have over-rated everyone a little bit more than we would now, although I think there's a chance of people undervaluing some of the squad now too. I feel your comment is one of those because it is so extreme. Over the entire season you can find his best performances, so it's really not rational to begin a debate by letting someone go through 40+ games to find a game that you won't be able to deny Modric played well in, especially when it'd be easy to pick a game Modric scored a goal in, which isn't even the primary or secondary reason he's picked.

The stats dont lie like some on here pretend.

Ok. League Stats.

Played: 31

Assists: 4

Key Passes: 83 (2.7 average)

Passes 2111 (68.1)

Completed Passes 1854 (87.8%)

Long Passes: 232/277

Through Passes: 15/33

-------

Paul Scholes:

Played 10. (So remember Modric has played triple the games, it won't change the averages but it won't make Modric look like Xavi.)

Assists: 0

Key Passes: 15 (1.2 average.)

Passes: 880 (67.7 average.)

Completed: 814 (92.5%)

Long Passes: 129/149

Through Balls: 2/4

"Of PL players to have made 150+ passes this season, Scholes makes the highest proportion of those passes sideways (70%)"

Source: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/20874/Show/Luka-Modric and http://www.whoscored.com/Players/11/Show/Paul-Scholes

That quote is from the site's twitter, if you want more stats, feel free. I got tired of posting them... Modric makes twice the interceptions and Scholes gives away 250% as many fouls, but he attempts .5 more tackles, etc.

I can turn on any TV/radio station talking about football and all I hear is people saying Scholes is the reason that United are going to win the title this year, I watched MotD2 today and saw some analysis on him as he was man of the match yet again. You get stats like "started 10, won 10" told to you all the time as well as reminders that the he wasn't even on the Bench for the Wigan game and so on.

Man United are the highest scoring team in the league, I think. Paul Scholes has 0 assists in his 10 games, Modric has 4 in his 31. But for Modric to have well over double the average key passes has got to highlight how valuable he is? Modric is less likely to do a Hudds type pass, which Scholes does often, but so many stats points to Modric does more than enough to deserve better than the kind of comments you give him.

He is usually one of the contenders for MotM for us, whether we win, lose or draw.

--------------------

He doesnt even do what it says on the tin

Yes, he does.

The sheer volume of passes says that he does. The key passes says he does.

What is it you want him to do?

Xavi, Scholes, Xabi Alonso all do varying degrees of what Modric does, I can write a bigger list if you need one but what do they do that Modric doesn't do? Xavi is the best player in the entire world at what he does, at his position... It is very likely that he is the best midfielder in the world. Xabi Alonso is another of the best players in the world. I'm not saying Modric is as good as those two, but that's his position. We're not as good as Barca or Real Madrid.

Xabi Alonso has played 31 league games (the same as Modric), he has fewer key passes, he only has a 0.2% better pass completion rate. He has double the assists but fudge me, he has the top La Liga goalscorers to pass to, including Ronaldo, Benzema and Higuin... (Also including Kaka, Ozil, Di Maria and a whole host of others. Modric has Ade, Bale, VDV and Lennon to pass to.)

Defensively, Xabi Alonso is better, making almost double the amount of tackles, about the same amount of interceptions, about three times as many fouls and getting dribbled around almost twice as often.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/4961/Show/Xabi-Alonso

Now to Xavi:

Played 24(4) (An awkward number to compare to Modric's 31.)

Assists 6. (Again, Xavi can pass to Barca players including Messi. Barca score far more goals than we do.)

Average Key Passes: 2.1 (Lower than Modric.)

92.4% Pass Completion with 97 passes per game average.

Barca average 70% possession in all games.

I think Modric helps us average 57% possession at WHL.

The comparison is ridiculous unless you compare players like Bale with players like Ronaldo, but I just compared Modric to the absolute best in the world in his position and he came out well. What the fudge else does it say on the tin? :p

The goal scoring stats are on a different page, but I know it's Xavi's best goalscoring season, so I'm just going to state in his defence that he's scored 10 goals this season.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2302/Show/Xavi

Last year, he played 31 La Liga games and scored 3 goals, that's the same amount Modric has now (31 games also)... The year before that, Xavi scored 3 La Liga goals (34 games that time), in some seasons he scored more, in some he didn't score at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavi#Career_statistics

If you want Xavi + Lampard + Lucas + Zidane, you're going to be disappointed... He's a Spurs player, I don't know what you expect? If you want the best players in the world to play for Spurs, we need to be able to offer them something... Even Emirates Marketing Project haven't been able to buy more than a sprinkling of world class talent, most of the time they have a left back that can't defend (nowhere near world class), either Barry or Milner in midfield (nowhere near world class), Lescott or Toure in defence... They pay insane money to buy their players and insane money on wages... The only two teams that are world class all the way through are Real Madrid and Barca.

So who is an upgrade to Modric that we can replace him with? Ignoring him being one of our 2 best players and the difficulties even keeping him...

Also, Xavi is 32, Scholes is 37, Xabi Alonso is 30... Modric is 26.

When Liverpool let Xabi Alonso go, they went to brick, that's how good Xabi Alonso is.

------------------

I have no idea how long ago you stopped reading, but it was extremely unfair to ask if he has delivered at any point during the season.

The 3rd goal had nothing to do with 442, they scored from a long range free kick. Defoe should really have been brought on earlier, we did not looking like scoring.

The ghost goal was their second. I counted Ramirez as third, Lampard as 4th (long range free kick). I know the second goal wasn't actually a goal, but it'd get really confusing if I changed the numbers due to them only scoring 4 actual goals despite the score being 5-1.

People really score based on bias

King/Gallas had a mare, unfortunately I think it's sign of the end for both, King has had a few bad games now in quick succession.

Hard to put scores on the team, because I think our confidence is shot, and the goal that never was put us where we had to risk too much, and we folded in the end.

Parker gave his all ..

Modric is probably world class but he ain't Xavi and especially not Scholes. He doesn't want to be here so let him go, we can get someone young in who can grow into a world class player, and use the rest of the money to strengthen our squad.

One thing about criticising the defence is how often it changes. I'd love to see a stat of how often we have played the same back 5. How can they have any understanding?

The only player who appeared to give a fudge yesterday was Scott Parker and for that I salute you, sir. A fitting captain for his nation and should have lamped that clogger donkey

The rest were gutless bottlejob tossers with zero urgency or intention to get 'stuck in' or show some fight in out Top 3 game of the season. Embarassing and infiruating at the very least.

Ratings? fudging LOL. How about fined 2 weeks wages for 3 months of utter toss? Happens in many club worldwide - why shouldn't we adopt something similar?

One thing about criticising the defence is how often it changes. I'd love to see a stat of how often we have played the same back 5. How can they have any understanding?

A back 5 having understanding begins with the goalkeeper, unfortunately for us we decided to switch one of the most consistent keepers in the league for our backup last night. Who is only our backup to begin with because the second best goalkeeper at the club, Gomes, has been bombed out.

Back