• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rating vs Dnipro

DTA

Clint Dempsey
ratings

I don't care what any of you say I think we played well.

Lorris 7- some good saves
Fryers 7- did what was required, not great going forward but relatively solid
Dawson 7- done well and took one for the team after dembeles mistake
Verts 7- done well, nice bit over reaction from the rather weak head but (still a head but though)
Kyle V2- 7 gets a lot of stick, but is a very good back up right back.... Solid

Erickson 8- scored and set up one, could have done more with chances in first half, but can't argue with with those stats
Sandra 8- Beast is back
dembele 7- was good in flashes.... But one almost very costly mistake
Tounsend 6.5- done ok not great though

Ade- 9 - world class when in this form, second goal was immense, then worked so hard to keep possession.
Soldado 5 - extremely lucky with the elbow (was more blatant then the head but), didn't do much. Although offside goal was well taken. Needs to show why we paid so much money for him.

Bentaleb 5- gave the ball away a couple of times.... And I'm a fan
Lennon 6- worked hard defensively when on.
Kane 6.5 - I like this kid... Loved the way he put the team first when he held the ball up on the break, when others with limited playing time may have went for glory.

Sherwood 8. - his team played hard for him..... Big part of what being a manager is about.

Lloris 7 Effective: unlucky with their goal.

Fryers 6 green as grass. OK though, compared to...
Naughton 5 not first XI material, sadly. On the left or the right.
Dawson 6 usual lionhearted display, marred by too many mistakes.
Vertonghen 7 Much better today, shame about the cheating.

Eriksson 8 excellent. Should be regular starter.
Townsend 5 poor tonight. Hope he gets his form back.
Sandro 7 rusty but essential.
Dembele 5 all sizzle, no sausage. Again.

Soldado 5 a few good touches and no luck. Should have been sent off. Don't to to Vegas with this Charlie.
Adebayor 9 Invisible in the first half, irrestible in the second. MOM.

Re: ratings

We should be building the team around Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Sandro and Eriksen. The rest are good enough to be squad players (incl Adebayor given that you never know which Ade will turn up)

Lloris 7.5

Walker 7
Dawson 4 put him to grass he has lost it
Verts 6.5
Fryers 6 best i have seen him play

Townsend 7 good unselfish play and some nice crosses, less shooting which is a good thing with his shooting
Dembele 6 so average and i really can not see what he adds to us
Sandro 7.5 Really missed him
Eriksen 8 Man of the match, think he can be a star for us when he finds his feet and get ups to speed with the english game

Soldado 3 some nice touches but then ran into player before passing, and im not sure why he keeps kicking the ball into the ground from 5 yards out, very poor technique
Ade 7.5 Love him

I missed their goal, as went for a natural break and got a beer from the fridge, so missed the build up to the free kick!

We started off well, at least tempo wise, but then the perceived lack of plan, or, our narrow plan, did **** all.

Was so gutted for Bobby, even though he was offside, I want him to mentally treat that as a goal, because he put it away beautifully, and restore some confidence.

I can't be arsed to put numbers up for all, but particularly 2nd half, I thought we played very well.

Ade worked his balls off, his touch was also better. 9
Lloris -7.5 good saves and got a hand to their goal.
Eriksen - 8
Soldado -7.5 / so unlucky with the offside, and great shielding / upper body strength.
Verts - 7.5 much better application.
Townsend - 8 - Impressed me tonight, passed earlier.
The rest 7

Lloris - 6.5 - didn't have much to do, seemed comfortable with the saves he did make.

Naughton - 6 - was solid enough defensively, can be undone with a bit of pace though.
Dawson - 6 solid enough, we weren't troubled too much defensively.
Vertonghen - 6.5 - nice to see a bit of passion from verts at times.

Townsend - 7 - did he have a shot? Was good with the ball, laid it off well, created two or three good chances for the team.
Sandro - 7.5 - we miss him when he's not around. His positioning is excellent. Better defensively and offensively than bentelab.
Dembele - 6.5 - I don't actually remember dembele doing much of note, other then covering for our full backs at times.
Erikson - 8 - creative and shored a beaut free kick.

Adebayor - 8.5 - clear Motm. Our best performer in a shocking first half, a wonderful take down and finish and just got involved with everything we did.
Soldado - 5.5 - didn't do anything first half, better second, went a fraction early for his offside goal, but also messed up two, maybe three, other decent chances.

Edit - ********, fryers was about a 6.5 played well, not sure if him or rose should start at Cardiff really.

Lloris -8- Saved our Bacon on a couple of occassions. Pay the man whatever he wants to keep him here.

Naughton -6- Did very well against Konoplyanka but stifled our attacking play at times with his refusal to play the first time ball into the box.
Dawson -7- Good game for Daws although a brain fart moment when he positioned himself wrongly in the 40th minute. Luckily the guy fell over.
Vertonghen -7- Hard to blame the guy for the goal conceded because for me the striker was offside to begin with and as such had an advantage from being goalside. He made plenty of good tackles.
Fryers -6- Got forward well although it's not his natural game. Made some really good tackles including one on Konoplyanka on the right side early on. If he could cross better I'd give him an 7.

Sandro -7- The Beast showed us what we have been lacking for a while now. Covered ground well but suffered from a loose touch now and again.
Dembele -5- May seem overly critical but he wasn't at the races today. We really needed a dominating display from the man and he just didn't do enough.
Eriksen -8- A goal, an assist and the heart and soul of everything good about tonight. A bit weak in the tackle but I don't care. The real question is why hasn't he played recently??
Townsend -7- Frustrating at times but classy in others. Really think he played well tonight and if he can just work on his final pass we will have a very good player.

Soldado -6- What more does this man have to do for the Gods to smile on him. The Townsed cross bounced right in front of him but still should've been a goal. He really worked hard for the team, shame about the offside.
Ade -9- MOTM. What more can we ask for in a striker?? He was everyhere and that second goal was class.

Lloris 7 - excellent saves and for once excellent distribution too
Naughton 6 - competent at the back but offered little going forward
Dawson 6 - produced an hilarious aboriginal Hake moment 84th minute when ranting and gesticulating at Townsend (? - think it was anyway)
Verts 6 - at last, a bit of passion and leadership from him. Classless the way he got Zozulya sent off but no more than the s*** deserved
Fryers 6 - struggled at times but it was his excellent cross from deep that made Adebayor's brilliant second possible
Townsend 6 - provided a few brighter moments early on until eventually losing his way
Sandro 7 - thank f*** the beast is back!
Eriksen 7 - frustrated at times especially first half but always looked capable of making things happen, and so it proved with two top quality FKs
Soldado 4 - unbelievably poor, desperately needed that offside goal to go his way
Adebayor 8 - not much involved first half but it's all about converting chances - which he did with some aplomb

Bentaleb 5
Lennon 5
Kane n/a

Edit: forgot to rate Dembele, which kind of says it all really. I'll give him a 5 at best.

Last edited:

LLORIS: 8 - some very good saves, especially that last-minute one to deny Konoplyanka. Plus he didn't stray from his line for no reason, and his distribution was improved
NAUGHTON: 7 - is definitely better at right-back than left. Think he's more reliable defensively than Walker there but he doesn't offer much going forward. Skinned a few times but it's difficult to stop Konoplyanka at full pelt
DAWSON: 7 - led the team well tonight, was solid enough throughout the 90 minutes and made a great foul at the death to deny them a good chance
VERTONGHEN: 6 - was as solid as the other defenders but gets a mark down for his playacting
FRYERS: 6 - caught out positionally once or twice but generally had a good game having just been thrown in
SANDRO: 7 - did a good job in stifling Dnipro's midfielders. Decent runout
DEMBELE: 6 - thought he was a bit off (again) personally. Until they went down to ten men he was our weak link in midfield. Improved after
TOWNSEND: 6 - not as selfish as usual which is a good start. Still very wasteful. Peach of a cross late on, though
ERIKSEN: 8 - one of the key men on the night, inspired the comeback with his goal even if the keeper should have saved it (IMO)
SOLDADO: 6 - got to be scoring one of his two or three chances tonight, just no excuse not to be for a £26m striker. His offside goal was a clean finish however
ADEBAYOR: 9 - wasn't amazing but I've scored him high cos yet again he's won us a game just by being able to put the ball in the net (his 1st goal) and conjure up something very impressive (his 2nd)

TIM: 6 - to be honest we wasn't doing all that til they took the lead which was disappointing and he was helped out by the red card but at least he's finally registered a cup win!

Lloris 7.5

Walker 7
Dawson 4 put him to grass he has lost it
Verts 6.5
Fryers 6 best i have seen him play

Townsend 7 good unselfish play and some nice crosses, less shooting which is a good thing with his shooting
Dembele 6 so average and i really can not see what he adds to us
Sandro 7.5 Really missed him
Eriksen 8 Man of the match, think he can be a star for us when he finds his feet and get ups to speed with the english game

Soldado 3 some nice touches but then ran into player before passing, and im not sure why he keeps kicking the ball into the ground from 5 yards out, very poor technique
Ade 7.5 Love him

Lol. The biggest compliment you could pay Kyle 0/10 (Nought out of Ten geddit) is you thought he was Walker and not a pitch invader.

Lloris - 6

Naughton - 4
Vertonghen - 6
Dawson - 5.5
Fryers - 6.5

Townsend - 7
Dembele - 6
Sandro - 7.5
Eriksen - 8

Soldado - 4
Adebayor - 7.5

Lloris – 8. Some good saves to keep us in the game.

Naughton – 6.5. Considering he was up against their danger man, I thought he did well.
Fryers – 6. Not quite as good as Naughton, save for that pass to Ade who was running a slant pattern, and who went on to score a touchdown (Shurely shome mishtake – Ed?)
Dawson – 5.5. Tried to get the team going. Cynical foul near the end but, hey, that's football.
Vertonghen – 5.5. Re their goal: Is he as slow as Dawson? Or are their players quick off the mark? Made the most of the penalty box argie-bargie to turn the game.

Sandro – 7. As usual, a powerful force until he got his customary yellow card.
Townsend – 5.5. Could not seem to get going until near the end. Great cross for Bobbly (sic) Soldado.
Dembele – 5. A quiet game and did not offer much creatively.
Eriksen – 8. Not everything he tried came off, but virtually all of the good stuff we did went through him. I've no idea who these Erikkson, Erikson and Erickson geezers are :)

Soldado – 6. Why did he not fall over and get a free kick when the Dnipro defender gave him a hefty shove in the back? Instead, he shepherded the ball out for a throw-in and should have been sent off by giving some back to the jostling defender. Apart from that, some decent link-up play, and he get into goal scoring positions, and actually converted one of them; shame it was offside.
Adebayor – 8. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Worked his socks off, and there are few players in the world who could have scored that third goal.

Bentaleb – 5.5. Provided some verve and ball possession.
Lennon – 5.5. Provided more defensive cover than Townsend and a fresh pair of legs to press Dnipro.
Kane – 6. This is a smart player. Maybe not Nick Barmby-smart, but I think he has a chance of making it.

Tim – 5.5. What was it Napoleon said about lucky generals? I've not got a problem with him going 4-4-2 in a game we had to win; he had to roll the dice. Recalling Eriksen was the right move and I can understand why he went with the experience of Dembel over Bentaleb, though the goal threat of Paulinho might have been a better choice.

Lloris - 8 - kept us in it a few times

Naughton - 7 - kept Liverpool blokey quiet
Vertonghen - 7 - comfortable
Dawson - 7 - untroubled
Fryers - 8 - very accomplished

Townsend - 5 - barely in the game except his great cross near the end
Dembele - 6 - pedestrian
Sandro - 8 - makes a huge difference
Eriksen - 8 - changed the game when he moved to CM

Soldado - 7 - great alround display
Adebayor - 8 - matchwinner

We should be building the team around Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Sandro and Eriksen. The rest are good enough to be squad players (incl Adebayor given that you never know which Ade will turn up)

You make it sound like his run of form has lasted two games, its pretty clear what Ade is turning up.....

LLORIS - 8 - A couple of good saves when needed to dig us out, calm and composed when necessary as well.
NAUGHTON - 7 - Did very well against Konoplyanka, kept him very quiet and never dived in. Kept possession and supported attacks when possible without giving up his position. Good game.
DAWSON - 7 - Some great leadership at 2-0 agg down and 2-1 down, you could see he was talking to everyone. One of those games when his balls out from the back looked Beckenbauresque rather than long aimless hoofs
VERTONGHEN - 7 - Best game from him for a while, looked like it really mattered to him. Felt he was right to go down like he was shot as Dnipro were doing that all game and give them a taste of their own medicine.
FRYERS - 7 - Good solid game from Fryers and i'd like to see him in the team ahead of Rose. He looks a better, more composed player.
TOWNSEND - 7 - Took the fight to them, with some clever changes of pace and was a good outlet. Played some good crosses rather than aimless shooting for once. A more mature performance than recent games
SANDRO - 8 - Beast, just gives the team such a better dynamic, we always look better with him in the team and less panic striken at the back
DEMBELE - 7 - Not his best game, but still contributed and worked hard.
ERIKSEN - 9 - Outstanding, always looked like he was going to make something happen, what a player we have on our hands here
SOLDADO - 4 - Oh dear, missed another sitter, gave the ball away quite a bit, looked timid in his decision making and should have been sent off for a stupid elbow. Is he still under guarantee?
ADEBAYOR - 9.5 - Absolutely bossed it in the second half, the winning goal was world-class, stunning performance.

BENTALEB - 6 - Neat and tidy to help run the clock down
KANE - 6 - See Bentaleb
LENNON - 6 - Ok

Back