• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2013

I so hope we persevere with Sigurðsson. He's a real worker; he tries a lot that doesn't quite come off, and my hope is that he will suddenly click and we will have a fantastic player on our hands. Bale's long 'Jonah' spell ought to be a cautionary tale for anyone wishing him away, for me.

Great the season has not yet started and the moaning has begun, I really don't know why these people bother supporting such a tinkle poor team run by a bunch of idiots, I'm sure there are much better teams they could follow. I know Stop! Hammer time but it's the usual suspects every time, just so negative. I'll now sit back and wait for the abuse (sorry informed debate).

this aimed at me?????

just ignore me I am a bit of a worrier and was just raising some points that I hope AVB can work on.........

Its not all doom and gloom...... love the manager love the club so not trying to be negative.....

I am excited about the new season despite Bale uncertainty but I do feel we have work to do at the back.

I so hope we persevere with Sigurðsson. He's a real worker; he tries a lot that doesn't quite come off, and my hope is that he will suddenly click and we will have a fantastic player on our hands. Bale's long 'Jonah' spell ought to be a cautionary tale for anyone wishing him away, for me.

Yeah I don't want us to give up on siggy either.... was just a little frustrated he didn't make a more telling contribution to the game when I thought he had the chance to do so...... but No I don't want us to give up on him.....and considering the minutes he has had I fully expect him to start against Palace.

It's a friendly. So what if we didn't win? We looked awesome in the first half.

Chadli in particularly looks a brilliant winger. Beats a man at will.

Paulinho is a level up from what we've seen. It's no wonder he's the first name on the Brazil team sheet.

Soldado is a world class frontman. Something we've lacked since berba left

Awesome photo

BRVrROsCQAA3lkS.jpg

Today I don't think was us playing in pre season mode, I think it was us with a lot of the problems we had last season, against lesser teams at home. And I say that as AVBs number one fan.

A bright start followed by a dire final 60 or so minutes for me. The games are always so flat. It's not like we are getting torn apart ourselves. In fact we are quite comfortable, very comfortable defensively. But there doesn't seem to be any consistency in terms of forward play and I was hoping this season we would see that. We just had no Bale out today.

But other than that, I thought Dawson was great, Rose provides good width but many sloppy passes from him and Walker. Paulinho I also thought was a bit rusty. Sig did well when he was able to get the ball, but for some reason the team doesn't find him enough, he does move. Townsend dangerous when he came on, I think he should get games for us and is underrated by our fans. Definite goal threat.

I also think Soldado is a lot like Defoe, which means we should have some similar strikers and a seamless flow between them if one is out.

Also Chadil, excellent first half and poor second. When he was pulling everything off in the first half I loved it, but it was the exact sort of thing I could imagine being frustrating when it doesn't work.

I don't know why our home games against lesser teams are so flat. It's like we are always picking the wrong pass, we try to drill them into attacking areas and just got tackled too easily. Weird.

We played well in the first, we passed the ball a lot quicker then we did last season and the signs were good. I would not read to much into the second half because as usual lots of subs disrupted the game.

We played well in the first, we passed the ball a lot quicker then we did last season and the signs were good. I would not read to much into the second half because as usual lots of subs disrupted the game.

I do hope it was just subs and pre season feeling in general rather than the problem of not being able to impose are style on lesser teams still being present.

I was at the game this afternoon and if I was going to give our overall performance a mark out of ten, it would have to be a six. There were encouraging signs. In Soldado, we have someone who patrols an opponents penalty box. I can't wait to see Paulinho and Sandro get some game time together and as for Chadli, he is on the same wavelength as Dembele. It was also good to see Kaboul and Sandro on the pitch.

The low-ish mark reflects our defensive performance, which looked rather pedestrian at best. It was noticeable that Espanyol targeted Rose and Fryers throughout their time on the pitch, which I guess every EPL team will do, if we are required to play both of team together?

I echo the sentiments of all of the posters on here who yearns for a speedy resolution to the Bale saga, as we either need him back and firing on all cylinders or we need some pace and creativity in our team, along with a decent left back.

I do hope it was just subs and pre season feeling in general rather than the problem of not being able to impose are style on lesser teams still being present.

Well i was at the game and the first half we imposed ourselves well and at a much quicker pace, but the game died in the second half but that was down to the game stopping for all the subs to come on.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are slagging off the singing but then this is glory glory I suppose.

Block J (1882) was immense. I had a great day out. Some football was played to.

[video=youtube;8K_avkSw2Vg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K_avkSw2Vg[/video]

[video=youtube;vnIphCaUmk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnIphCaUmk8[/video]

Well i was at the game and the first half we imposed ourselves well and at a much quicker pace, but the game died in the second half but that was down to the game stopping for all the subs to come on.

I was there too, and to me it looked (the second half) like nearly all of our games at home vs lesser opposition last year. It was starting to get that way before the end of the first, and I don't think it was necessarily all the subs. But I hope I am wrong.

The other thing is, I feel if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 rather than 4-3-3, the guy in behind the striker needs to be a good dribbler. Siggy is skillfull, but he's better with more options ahead of him so he can release them, which makes the most of his passing and vision. As it is, most of the time he only has one option infront which nullifies him.

I feel we are playing the way we are so that Lennon is made the most of, which hampers Sig unless he's on the left and we can make the most of his good crossing because there's more targets to aim at from wide areas. I feel if we are going to move towards a 4-3-3, Lennon will need to go.

What's amazing to me is that if you actually break down how much time AVB has had this close-season with what he might consider his settled squad, let alone first 11, it's been another summer of massive disruption. Bale has been 'turned' and for me, he will never quite be the same for us even if Levy wins this battle (put it this way, Bale won't play until at least the middle of Sept I'd imagine) and AVB has had very very little time with a first 11 (injuries, new signings, etc have all been coming and happening all summer)...

I know this is the internet but is there any hope in hell that one day context will be applied en masse to games such as Espanyol?

Very disappointed with Chadli, if he is join to play there instead of Bale this season we are going to struggle

Back