• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our best result of ther season so far?

A few times when looking back at past PL champions the team that has won the title often hasn't had the best of results against the other "big four" teams, but just kept on racking up the points against the lesser clubs while their rivals dropped silly points.

It doesn't matter where you get the points from, as long as you get lots of them!

Is that actually true? I swear I've seen pundits say the very opposite - i.e. it is usually the teams who win matches against their closest rivals who end up winning the title.

sure united won it in one of the ronaldo years with very poor results against the top 4 sides. probably 2009 when liverpool did the double over them

I was definitely wrong to say often but there are instances where teams have done well against the other top teams but finished lower than those results would suggest they should.

Last season Arsenal and Man Utd had the best "top four only" records (both got 10 points) yet Arsenal only finished fourth in the league.

The year we came fourth we took 3 more points from the top four sides than Arsenal, but they finished 5 points ahead of us in the table.

08/09 was definitely the big one as Noddy said, Liverpool took 14 points against the top four compared to Man Utd taking 5 points, but Man Utd won the league.

Having a quick look at the old league tables it looks like the team who does the best in the top four mini league usually ends up as Champions, but there seems to be more variability in the teams fighting it out for the remaining CL spots, where good form against the lesser teams can make all the difference.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0. We were on fire that day. The only reason we didn't win by more was we took our foot off the pedal.

West Brom away was also impressive considering we haven't won there forever.

I'm also going to go for Norwich away. It was one of the most impressive away performances I've seen in the 20 years I've been going regularly. A colleague of mine who's a Norwich fan and goes to loads of games there said he thought Spurs that night were the most impressive team he's seen at Carrow Road for a long time. (OK, so he's not exactly been used to top flight football, but still).

Frankly, if we play out the rest of the season like we did against United, but do it from beginning to end (I thought we were a bit slack first ten minutes on Sunday, and then - perhaps understandably - heads dropped at 3-0), we won't lose again. 'Course, it doesn't work like that, but you ketch ma drift.

I think our best result of the season has yet to come - Chelscum away. I think we will do em batter them.

infact I am doing the OMT for that

clearly liverpool. we tore into them in the first 20 minutes. should have been 4 nil up even before the first red card

we totally humiliated them.

Is that actually true? I swear I've seen pundits say the very opposite - i.e. it is usually the teams who win matches against their closest rivals who end up winning the title.

Your rivals for the title are only ever 3/4 teams. Of course it doesn't hurt to beat your rivals but winning your bread and butter matches against the other 15 or so teams is of far more importance......

Norwich 2-0.

They are great at home and we played them off the park.

Was a joy to watch....performance wise.

I think our best result of the season has yet to come - Chelscum away. I think we will do em batter them.

infact I am doing the OMT for that

You lost us the NLD, no way are you going to do the OMT for Chelscum. That needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing with away OMTs, if noone else wants to volunteer, I'll give it a go as at least I managed to get us a result at St. James's Park and our away form against the rest of the top 7 has hardly been that impressive,

clearly liverpool. we tore into them in the first 20 minutes. should have been 4 nil up even before the first red card

we totally humiliated them.

yeah, basically this.

Norwich away and the Toon at WHL are up there.

But Liverpool, we absolutely raped. Pillaged. Destroyed. Ran rings around them for the entire game, and for the 30-40 odd minutes before they even lost a man. Was magnificent.

The victories against Liverpool, Norwich and Saudi Sportswashing Machine were all brilliant...all three really put a smile on my face.

We could have beaten Liverpool by 8 or 9, but we really took our foot off the gas late on. As much as I enjoyed 'ole'-ing it really would have been nice to try to reach a silly score like we did against Wigan a few years back.

Fulham away was an eye opener. Not particularly good in the 1st half but went in 2-0 up. Battered 2nd half, conceded and you'd think there's only one way this is going but somehow managed to keep it at 2-1 and then two or three goalmouth scrambles later Defoe sticks one away to make it 3-1 with the last kick of the game.
Fulham away for me. After going 2-0 up at half-time and managing to hold on (and score another) when we played so poorly in the second half was impressive. Had that been last season, we probably would have lost.

West Brom away - in so many seasons past we would have folded - playing poorly and going 1 down away from home. but this time we turned it around, got back in to our groove and finished comfortable winners. was a game that really made me sit up and think that we had 'turned the corner' - Norwich away as well, a fixture that again in the past we would have struggled in, but this time we went out and dominated from the off and played some fantastic stuff

on the face of it two results which aren't overly impressive, but when you consider that our main problem these past few seasons have been how we perform against the so called lesser sides - these results were very important

Back