1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

*** OMT: Tottenham vs WBA***

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by LutonSpurs, 7 Nov 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 10 Nov 2020.
  1. Dier

56.9%
  2. Hojbjerg

17.6%
  3. Kane

13.7%
  4. Reguilon

11.8%
  1. Daisuk

Daisuk Jimmy McCormick

Very good point! It's not easy to just keep on performing at a United away-level when you're forced to make wholesale changes for every match, more or less.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  2. parklane1

parklane1 David Ginola

Another 3 points and good to see another clean sheet. We are a work in progress and we still have a way to go and there will be ups and downs. Dier was MOM and looks to be getting back to his best, Sonny is going through one of his poor runs but he has always been that type of player and we know he just has to play through it.

3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

Will be needed against the better sides

Pirate55 and Daisuk like this.
  4. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Ian Walker

Tanganga-esque goal line instincts from Dier!

Bullet and Rorschach like this.
  5. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

I agreed with Shearer on Motd2. He credited Mourinho subs with the win. As soon as we brought on Vinni and Lucas, we suddenly had a front four with width ( Son and Lucas) and someone to help Kane in the middle. Up to that point we simply weren't committing nearly enough men forward to test them. Well done Jose.

6. Mr_B

Mr_B Jose Dominguez

Love a 1-0, love a 1-0 even more in the 88th minute, love the fact that we can now defend, love the fact how open this league is, love the fact that after 45 years of hurt, I still dream....

7. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Where would that leave Ndombele? For me he is the standout obvious candidate right now and it would be up to others to win that place.

I could see an argument for Son, to get more pace in the centre when counter attacking. And it will be a long way up to the goal for Son and others playing wide as they'll be asked to track opposing full backs.

8. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Gary Stevens Staff Member

Ah well, not going to debate the point. He lacks finesse on the ball but is a unit and until we find a unit that can play with finesse Mourinho will use him in games like this. I also wonder if last Jan, Ziyach was the man he wanted over Bergy? Have to say, that player would've been a great part of our squad. Still, all good and onwards.

9. thfcsteff

This has been key.

I think if Sonny converts his sitter early doors, we win 3-0 today. What is pleasing, however, is that despite having to grit these games, we look far, far more solid as a defending unit. In all honesty you expect Mourinho to get that part together. In other news, I thought Bale had another decent enough outing without too much spectacular; worth noting, he nearly got on the end of that Kane ball (match sharpness coming) and was very unlucky in the second-half with that outside of the boot, curling splitter into Kane's path which was 'just' dealt with by a lucky defender. That would've been pass of the season otherwise. He's ticking along nicely IMO...

10. thfcsteff

I disagree today. Thought Bale was fine, nothing spectacular but put a shift in and showed a couple of nice moments. For me, the biggest issue right now is Sonny is on one of his "lulls" and when that happens, we tend to find the going tougher. Agree re: Doherty, who I thought was bang-average other than the cross. Credit Mourinho for the subs. I thought Vinicius did well enough, and was absolutely a difference maker for the goal as his presence causes a little confusion. Unlucky with the shot too. But Kane's header was brilliant, nothing easy about that at all. A lot of stick for Sissoko today, but I thought Mourinho again got it right, Sissoko wore them down and then the fresh legs and greater talent came to apply greater pressure; let's face it, Gio was strong but he missed a sitter, and truth be told, 2 or 3-0 would not have been beyond given the easy chances we missed.

parklane1 likes this.
  11. Robspur12

Robspur12 Dean Richards

Burnley and WBA are the two of the weakest sides in the league, Brighton are not far behind. We really should be beating these sides if we have any chance of top 4 as we can’t rely on getting points against the Chelsea Arsenal, Liverpool and City. These wins should be par for the course.

12. milo

milo Jürgen Klinsmann Staff Member

That was my thinking. My preference would be to play him alongside Hojbjerg in CM but I could see Mourinho opting for Sissoko in some games. Ndombele can definitely play #10 but I think that you lose some of his best characteristics that far forward.

thfcsteff and Hotshot-Tottenham like this.
  13. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Simon Davies

Sorry @milo, but this has registered on the fakenewsometer. We took an early lead against Brighton and still struggled badly to control the game.

14. milo

milo Jürgen Klinsmann Staff Member

I remembered that just after I posted it. Tactics not playing out in a game isn't necessarily evidence of it not being our game plan though.

braineclipse likes this.
  15. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Mourinho has opted for Sissoko in games that on paper are a lot easier than what we're facing in the coming weeks. It would be strange to me to start Ndombele deep with Hojbjerg against top teams having not done so against Burnley, Brighton and WBA.

Fitness might be a factor. Another couple weeks for Ndombele and he might be deemed ready for that role. Would still surprise me.

We might be seeing things differently as they have been recently. For me Hojbjerg and Sissoko have quite clearly been playing deeper than Ndombele. It hasn't been a three with two box to box midfielders. More a deep two with Ndombele further forward. Perhaps his role hasn't quite been as "a #10". But it's been closer to that than a traditional midfield three imo.

16. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Simon Davies

It's fake news milo. It's a terrible thing and you're a terrible person. As bad as the fake news lamestream media.

17. Bedfordspurs

Did we...
    I guess people interpret control differently
    I always looks to see what keeper is working hardest and what defence is too
    Vs Brighton they had loads of ball and created nothing. That’s not them controlling it, that’s us IMO
    It reminds me of when we beat wolves last season when we scored and let them try to break us down which they really really struggled to do. They hit a screamer but then it was all us on the attack again as we had the reserves. Same as Leicester at home
    Possession doesn’t equal control.

18. Bedfordspurs

Which we did
    And quite comfortably when you look at the chances too
    I know xG can be a load of brick but I believe over those three games ours cones in around 6 goals and the opposition total is about 1.5... (I’ll check later). Hugo made one save of note yesterday, I don’t remember any vs Brighton and Burnley had a header cleared off the line. Anything else?
    We had chances but didn’t take as many as we should have and still come away with the points

19. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Jimmy Neighbour

Lo Celso actually replaces N’Dombele though not Sissoko....

IMO it was swapping Bale out that was the key. Moura offered so much more willing to get on the ball than Bale did. But perhaps it was more the shape change that helped us with us getting two attacking players on in Moura and Vinicius for one defensive and one ineffectual player in Sissoko and Bale.

20. Bedfordspurs

It was the shape IMO (and Moura added to that)
    We took the game to them again and it changed the attacking dynamic to peg them back deeper

Finney Is Back likes this.