• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham vs WBA***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think one of the reasons we have not performed with any consistency this season is the rotation program, in our 15 games this has been our changes
2. 4
3. 3
4. 6
5. 5
6. 9
7. 7
8. 5
9. 2
10. 8
11. 7
12. 9
13. 9
14. 6
15. 5

I dont care about who we are playing it's difficult to get a team to gel if you are making this many changes along with the substitutions in matches.

The heavy schedule put a strain on the players but it also limits the time for preparing for the next game with differing players and tactics, 3 to 4 changes should be about right, but mass changes with personel and position must cause some uncertainty with the players.

Very good point! It's not easy to just keep on performing at a United away-level when you're forced to make wholesale changes for every match, more or less.

Another 3 points and good to see another clean sheet. We are a work in progress and we still have a way to go and there will be ups and downs. Dier was MOM and looks to be getting back to his best, Sonny is going through one of his poor runs but he has always been that type of player and we know he just has to play through it.

I don't mean to be bashing Sissoko, we know what we get with him, he works hard for the team and does a decent job defensively, but in a game like this he doesn't necessarily offer a whole lot. As soon as we got Lo Celso on and took Sissoko off, it was like we went from 10 to 11 men out there - we completely took over the game, pinged it around, very clearly took command of the game - we didn't have that weak link in the team that hindered us progressing the ball time and again. A simplified "analysis", of course, and again, I think Sissoko is doing a decent enough job for us in certain games, but we must learn to recognize when he doesn't offer us anything, and put someone else on. Changed the momentum today.
Will be needed against the better sides

I agreed with Shearer on Motd2. He credited Mourinho subs with the win. As soon as we brought on Vinni and Lucas, we suddenly had a front four with width ( Son and Lucas) and someone to help Kane in the middle. Up to that point we simply weren't committing nearly enough men forward to test them. Well done Jose.

It'll be interesting to see who he plays at #10 in that formation. The obvious candidates are Son, Bale, Lamela or Dele.
Where would that leave Ndombele? For me he is the standout obvious candidate right now and it would be up to others to win that place.

I could see an argument for Son, to get more pace in the centre when counter attacking. And it will be a long way up to the goal for Son and others playing wide as they'll be asked to track opposing full backs.

We did and I take that but the reason we needed the fight is because we give up the ball to easily with Sissoko in the side, and I love Sissoko but there is a place for him in the squad just for me its not in games against WBA where the quality should tell. Thats what I mean by it being counter productive, its almost like you need Sissoko because Sissoko is playing haha

Ah well, not going to debate the point. He lacks finesse on the ball but is a unit and until we find a unit that can play with finesse Mourinho will use him in games like this. I also wonder if last Jan, Ziyach was the man he wanted over Bergy? Have to say, that player would've been a great part of our squad. Still, all good and onwards.

I think that it is our predominant tactic, particularly against good teams but even against poorer teams, we tend to drop back after taking the lead and look to hit on the break. The problem over the last few weeks is we haven't been able to take an early lead.

This has been key.

I think if Sonny converts his sitter early doors, we win 3-0 today. What is pleasing, however, is that despite having to grit these games, we look far, far more solid as a defending unit. In all honesty you expect Mourinho to get that part together. In other news, I thought Bale had another decent enough outing without too much spectacular; worth noting, he nearly got on the end of that Kane ball (match sharpness coming) and was very unlucky in the second-half with that outside of the boot, curling splitter into Kane's path which was 'just' dealt with by a lucky defender. That would've been pass of the season otherwise. He's ticking along nicely IMO...

Converse to a lot of opinion on here I thought Sissoko was fine today. I think our biggest issue is that it’s a bit like playing with 10 men playing Bale at the moment, he doesn’t seem to want to get himself involved in the game.

Dier very good I thought and Hojbjerg excellent again. Bale, Son and Doherty (assist aside) poor. The rest all ok.

I think the key in these games is to stay in them as we are doing, we can then rely on that extra bit of quality that we have to turn the draw into a win.

I disagree today. Thought Bale was fine, nothing spectacular but put a shift in and showed a couple of nice moments. For me, the biggest issue right now is Sonny is on one of his "lulls" and when that happens, we tend to find the going tougher. Agree re: Doherty, who I thought was bang-average other than the cross. Credit Mourinho for the subs. I thought Vinicius did well enough, and was absolutely a difference maker for the goal as his presence causes a little confusion. Unlucky with the shot too. But Kane's header was brilliant, nothing easy about that at all. A lot of stick for Sissoko today, but I thought Mourinho again got it right, Sissoko wore them down and then the fresh legs and greater talent came to apply greater pressure; let's face it, Gio was strong but he missed a sitter, and truth be told, 2 or 3-0 would not have been beyond given the easy chances we missed.

It was always going to be difficult, and similar to the Burnley game. But we won both and beat Brighton at home. Can't really complain then. These teams always make it extremely difficult. Their goal is to get a draw and keep a clean sheet.
I think it shows character and strength that we have won all these 3 games.
1-0 to the Tottenham

Burnley and WBA are the two of the weakest sides in the league, Brighton are not far behind. We really should be beating these sides if we have any chance of top 4 as we can’t rely on getting points against the Chelsea Arsenal, Liverpool and City. These wins should be par for the course.

Where would that leave Ndombele? For me he is the standout obvious candidate right now and it would be up to others to win that place.

I could see an argument for Son, to get more pace in the centre when counter attacking. And it will be a long way up to the goal for Son and others playing wide as they'll be asked to track opposing full backs.

That was my thinking. My preference would be to play him alongside Hojbjerg in CM but I could see Mourinho opting for Sissoko in some games. Ndombele can definitely play #10 but I think that you lose some of his best characteristics that far forward.

I think that it is our predominant tactic, particularly against good teams but even against poorer teams, we tend to drop back after taking the lead and look to hit on the break. The problem over the last few weeks is we haven't been able to take an early lead.

Sorry @milo, but this has registered on the fakenewsometer. We took an early lead against Brighton and still struggled badly to control the game.

Sorry @milo, but this has registered on the fakenewsometer. We took an early lead against Brighton and still struggled badly to control the game.

I remembered that just after I posted it. Tactics not playing out in a game isn't necessarily evidence of it not being our game plan though.

That was my thinking. My preference would be to play him alongside Hojbjerg in CM but I could see Mourinho opting for Sissoko in some games. Ndombele can definitely play #10 but I think that you lose some of his best characteristics that far forward.
Mourinho has opted for Sissoko in games that on paper are a lot easier than what we're facing in the coming weeks. It would be strange to me to start Ndombele deep with Hojbjerg against top teams having not done so against Burnley, Brighton and WBA.

Fitness might be a factor. Another couple weeks for Ndombele and he might be deemed ready for that role. Would still surprise me.

We might be seeing things differently as they have been recently. For me Hojbjerg and Sissoko have quite clearly been playing deeper than Ndombele. It hasn't been a three with two box to box midfielders. More a deep two with Ndombele further forward. Perhaps his role hasn't quite been as "a #10". But it's been closer to that than a traditional midfield three imo.

I remembered that just after I posted it. Tactics not playing out in a game isn't necessarily evidence of it not being our game plan though.

It's fake news milo. It's a terrible thing and you're a terrible person. As bad as the fake news lamestream media.

Did we...
I guess people interpret control differently
I always looks to see what keeper is working hardest and what defence is too
Vs Brighton they had loads of ball and created nothing. That’s not them controlling it, that’s us IMO
It reminds me of when we beat wolves last season when we scored and let them try to break us down which they really really struggled to do. They hit a screamer but then it was all us on the attack again as we had the reserves. Same as Leicester at home
Possession doesn’t equal control.

Burnley and WBA are the two of the weakest sides in the league, Brighton are not far behind. We really should be beating these sides if we have any chance of top 4 as we can’t rely on getting points against the Chelsea Arsenal, Liverpool and City. These wins should be par for the course.
Which we did
And quite comfortably when you look at the chances too
I know xG can be a load of brick but I believe over those three games ours cones in around 6 goals and the opposition total is about 1.5... (I’ll check later). Hugo made one save of note yesterday, I don’t remember any vs Brighton and Burnley had a header cleared off the line. Anything else?
We had chances but didn’t take as many as we should have and still come away with the points

I don't mean to be bashing Sissoko, we know what we get with him, he works hard for the team and does a decent job defensively, but in a game like this he doesn't necessarily offer a whole lot. As soon as we got Lo Celso on and took Sissoko off, it was like we went from 10 to 11 men out there - we completely took over the game, pinged it around, very clearly took command of the game - we didn't have that weak link in the team that hindered us progressing the ball time and again. A simplified "analysis", of course, and again, I think Sissoko is doing a decent enough job for us in certain games, but we must learn to recognize when he doesn't offer us anything, and put someone else on. Changed the momentum today.
Lo Celso actually replaces N’Dombele though not Sissoko....

IMO it was swapping Bale out that was the key. Moura offered so much more willing to get on the ball than Bale did. But perhaps it was more the shape change that helped us with us getting two attacking players on in Moura and Vinicius for one defensive and one ineffectual player in Sissoko and Bale.

Lo Celso actually replaces N’Dombele though not Sissoko....

IMO it was swapping Bale out that was the key. Moura offered so much more willing to get on the ball than Bale did. But perhaps it was more the shape change that helped us with us getting two attacking players on in Moura and Vinicius for one defensive and one ineffectual player in Sissoko and Bale.
It was the shape IMO (and Moura added to that)
We took the game to them again and it changed the attacking dynamic to peg them back deeper

Back