• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: ***TOTTENHAM v sunderland***

We won today but individual brilliance is lovely to watch but not something we should be relying on.
How we play at home is WRONG!!
AVB has got it 100% right away from home but at home he needs to pull his finger out.

Hopefully we won't have a central midfield of Parker-Huddlestone in our next home match in the league.

We won today but individual brilliance is lovely to watch but not something we should be relying on.
AVB has got it 100% right away from home but at home he needs to pull his finger out.

Although I agree overall this season I don't think today was an example of this.

We came up against a weaker, but well organized Sunderland team that looked very well motivated. We outplayed them pretty much throughout, we dominated possession and had 19 (!) shots on target. We should have had a penalty, they cleared it off the line a couple of times and we hit the post.

Im down.

Another huge setback for the club. But we dont deserve to move on to the CL.

CL teams have top players, who are focused on their football and talent of course.

To play in the CL, you need to do the transfers early, be organised, and be ready for the start of the season. We cant do that.

For nearly a decade I have been saying that some of our players are not good enough, Dawson, Lennon, Hudd spring to mind. We're in 2013 and they are still around. Shocking.

When is Levy going to learn.

AVB has done a fantastic job, getting the best out of Bale, that was probably the only solution. And I hope he gets the right players and gets rid of players who are just not good enough. The list is long.

Although I agree overall this season I don't think today was an example of this.

We came up against a weaker, but well organized Sunderland team that looked very well motivated. We outplayed them pretty much throughout, we dominated possession and had 19 (!) shots on target. We should have had a penalty, they cleared it off the line a couple of times and we hit the post.

We scraped a win against a 10 man relegation threatened side.
Arsenal are in the ECL because they can beat these sides. I know goal difference did not come into it but we should be battering the lesser teams.

Arsenal are in the ECL because they can beat these sides. I know goal difference did not come into it but we should be battering the lesser teams.

Which is exactly what Arsenal did today. Well, Saudi Sportswashing Machine played like they had a man less.

Over a 38 game season many things cost us as I'm sure you will acknowledge. Europa league for example didn't cause us to drop points at Wigan. I really enjoyed our run this season and we have a real chance of winning next year. Like I said before would like us to win a trophy.

Well it bloody well did at home against fulham

Ps the ref today was an utter ****, seriously are the club ever going to do anything about this sort of thing.

Indeed. The Europa also can't be blamed for our slow start to the season which resulted in only 2pts gained from our first 3 games, the fact that Dembele, Lloris, Adebayor and Dempsey were all signed after the Premier League had begun and thus missed out on pre-season training with the new management team may have been a factor in that bad run though...

The Europa League also didn't prevent Chavski from matching our points tally over the 2nd half of the season...

My previous post(s) were more concerned about the QUALIFYING/PLAY OFF game.
Iirc, the games fall a few days before the opening game and then sandwiched between the first and second games.
This is an awful time to play these games. Fitness may not be 100% and there is more chance of injuries then.
As you mentioned, we got off to a bad start last season that ultimately cost us.

This could cost us again.
Kids in for the qualifier and if we don't make it, then so be it.

Every team that plays us knows that they can afford to sit deep, as we just do not have strikers who attack the goal. Yesterday's display included some great possession and build-up play, but was ultimately toothless in the penalty area. How many times do you see one of our players fizzing a ball across the 6-yard box, but with no-one busting a gut to get on the end of it? Defenders know that we don't have a striker who'll boss it close to goal, so they can sit back and effectively gift us the area just outside the box as there is unlikely to be a moment of magic from a ball passed to the p-shot.

Give us a proper predator (I'm not counting Defoe), and you'll see us dispatching the lesser teams.

Simon Mignolet: No goalkeeper has made more diving saves in a game in Europe's top 5 leagues this term than Mignolet vs Spurs yesterday (14)

Every team that plays us knows that they can afford to sit deep, as we just do not have strikers who attack the goal. Yesterday's display included some great possession and build-up play, but was ultimately toothless in the penalty area. How many times do you see one of our players fizzing a ball across the 6-yard box, but with no-one busting a gut to get on the end of it? Defenders know that we don't have a striker who'll boss it close to goal, so they can sit back and effectively gift us the area just outside the box as there is unlikely to be a moment of magic from a ball passed to the p-shot.

Give us a proper predator (I'm not counting Defoe), and you'll see us dispatching the lesser teams.

Which arse are very good at doing. Great movement among their front line destroys the lesser teams although not enough quality to beat better teams. Look at their respective records against the top 7 teams vs the rest.

Arse also scraped a win against an already relegated side (QPR). The fact is they went on another of their amazing late season runs and while it sticks in the throat they should be congratulated for it. The reality is they are stagnating and we are improving. And getting a record points total despite finishing a place lower than last season IS an improvement.

Twitter / OptaJoe: 32 - Arsenal took 32 points from the teams who finished in the bottom six this season, only Man Utd (36) won more. Punishment.

Those 5pts we dropped against Wigan cost us in the end, especially considering everyone else in the Top 5 got maximum points against Wigan this season and we were the only team in the top half of the table to fail to win a game against them #-o

Twitter / OptaJoe: 1 - Arsenal only conceded in the final 15 minutes of one Premier League match this season (v Swansea 2 goals). Stamina.

The late goals we conceded in the first 3 games of the season also cost us 5 points, plus those clangers at Goodison and Anfield :-&

Last edited:
Twitter / OptaJoe: 32 - Arsenal took 32 points from the teams who finished in the bottom six this season, only Man Utd (36) won more. Punishment.

Those 5pts we dropped against Wigan cost us in the end, especially considering everyone else in the Top 5 got maximum points against Wigan this season and we were the only team in the top half of the table to fail to win a game against them #-o

Twitter / OptaJoe: 1 - Arsenal only conceded in the final 15 minutes of one Premier League match this season (v Swansea 2 goals). Stamina.

The late goals we conceded in the first 3 games of the season also cost us 5 points, plus those clangers at Goodison and Anfield :-&

Thank fook they're gone then.

I dont normally agree with you (esp about Ade!!) but on this you are 100% correct.

Our home performances this season have been well below par and our tactics far too negative, especially against the weaker teams. More adventure is necessary at home next season - not two DMs against the lower teams, not hanging on to a single goal lead, midfielders who actually run in behind the forwards (and pass the ball forward,) and strikers that move around and attack the goal like they actually want to score.

Would like to see us score more from corners and defend them better.

Small margins - but they make all the difference in the final analysis.

I agree our home form has been poor this season and in some respects a continuation of our inability to break down determined defesive sides over the past couple of seasons (worse this season) - running the risk of being an excuse maker but i think we can attribute it to the lack of creativity in midfield and the form of our strikers, hopefully with this area of the team being addressed in the transfer window we'll see a marked improvment.

Our away form is top draw, if we can find the solution to our home form then we can be hopeful for the season ahead.

Really disappointed we failed to finish in top 4. Didn't expect any favour from Saudi Sportswashing Machine and was prepared to accept we will finish in 5th but still it is hard to accept. We have only ourselves to blame. We had so many chances to go above Arsenal recently but we wasted them. I think we lost our top 4 race when we drew against Wigan. We paid the ultimate price for not turning up against Wigan. If we had beaten Wigan, we didn't have to rely on shyte teams like Saudi Sportswashing Machine. It is a pity that for all the world class goals Bale has scored this season, we have nothing to show for it.

Despite the disappointment, it is great to end the season on a winning note and achieving our highest league points in the process. It was yet another wonder goal by Bale. But wish Bale had scored the goal earlier in the match. That could have put pressure on Arsenal who are as mentally fragile as us. We can only imagine what could have been if we had scored early. Big credit to Bale for scoring 21 league goals this season, almost all being world class goals. Hope we can keep him on a long term. Adebayor and Dempsey played much better but not enough to score any goal. Also disappointed Defoe didn't make much impact when he came on.

This match proves yet again that we lack a cutting edge from midfield in tight games. As much as Hudd and Parker worked hard, they just couldn't cut open the Sunderland defence. Lennon was disappointing as his delivery was poor again. For all our domination, don't think we came close to scoring until the red card to the Sunderland player. It was really disappointing in a match of such importance to us. We looked better when Dembele came on but still couldn't find that all important goal until Bale stepped up. Hope we will strengthen our midfield next season, even when Sandro returns from injury.

Our defence deserves credit for keeping the clean sheet even if Sunderland's attack was poor. Atleast we can be proud of the fact we kept clean sheets in the last 2 home matches of the season. Hope this will boost our confidence to keep more clean sheets at home next season. We didn't make much mistakes in defence which was nice to see. Lloris did well to make 1 or 2 good saves when called upon.

It is a pity we have nothing to show for our efforts this season. Really enjoyed this season, especially all the wonder goals from Bale and the brilliant win over ManU. Wish we had managed to finish in top 4 and qualified for CL. That would have been really sweet. I guess we have to try even harder next season. Bale looked very disappointed after the match. Hope we can keep him at Spurs atleast for a few years. But until then we have to put up with more rumours about his future with us. After achieving our record 72 points in the league, hope AVB and Levy will set even higher targets to reach next season.

Last edited:
Back