• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham v Olympiacos

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No way is he starting Eriksen in a must win game.

'And now Mourinho has revealed that he spoke to the Denmark international ahead of Spurs' Champions League clash with Olympiacos on Tuesday night.

I'm not going to tell you what we said. Just me and him – and Amazon,' Mourinho said on Monday.

'He's committed, loves the club and is one of us.'

And let's be honest this game is less must win for a League games when we're 9 points behind top 4.

We need 1 point from 2 games

Currently

Bayern 12
Tottenham 7
Red Star 3
Olympiacos 1

bricky Red Star aren't getting more than a draw against Bayern with a new manager. The most they can get realistically is 7 points. Olympiacos need to win both and for us to lose both.

---------Gazzaniga---------
Foyth--TBA---Dave---Rose
------Dier---Sissoko-------
-Lo Celso--Dele---Sonny
------------Kane-------

Save NDombele for the weekend with some light rotation. Think we'll see Sess off the bench too.

I don't think we'll see Dier and Sissoko paired together in a two man midfield.

@Modric THFC posted this in the tactics thread

Really good post match interview with BBC radio on Saturday. 2:08 in https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07vwvk2

Mourinho is asked why he went with Dier and Winks. "I needed one midfielder that was more positional and I needed one midfielder that was more a passer of the ball. So of course when I see Moussa. Moussa is a very good player but different than my needs. I need that stability from Dier and I need the kid to move the ball faster, also positionally, but to move the ball faster to find the attacking players, in the positions we want them to find the ball.

Also mentioned "I bought on Cristian because I though he could give us some stability in a period were we need the ball"

New manager, line-up just as difficult to predict so far at lest.

I think Mourinho's comments about fatigue, and what we could all see happening against West Ham, would indicate some rotation. Also a chance for Mourinho to see some different players show what they can do under him.

Would like to see KWP or Foyth, or both. Sessegnon on the bench at least. Lo Celso involved at some point. Just to get some indication that there's more than talking about younger players. More than anything a result and a decent performance though, we desperately need to build some momentum.

Hoping for more of the same energy and smart direct play we saw against the spammers tonight, and as brainclipse says, more lads involved. I'm hoping Mourinho can incorporate Lo Celso in some capacity, he's shown a lot of promise in the glimpses we've seen him.

'And now Mourinho has revealed that he spoke to the Denmark international ahead of Spurs' Champions League clash with Olympiacos on Tuesday night.

I'm not going to tell you what we said. Just me and him – and Amazon,' Mourinho said on Monday.

'He's committed, loves the club and is one of us.'

And let's be honest this game is less must win for a League games when we're 9 points behind top 4.

We need 1 point from 2 games

Currently

Bayern 12
Tottenham 7
Red Star 3
Olympiacos 1

bricky Red Star aren't getting more than a draw against Bayern with a new manager. The most they can get realistically is 7 points. Olympiacos need to win both and for us to lose both.

Not sure if you’ve selectively stopped the quote there, or if that’s all you saw, but Jose went on to say ‘My decisions about starting him or not starting, selecting or not select, will be based on a perspective of a future. I cannot hide that. We have a present and in football we have to focus on the present, in this case the game against Olympiakos, but it’s a club where you have to think about the future. These important decisions, obviously, they have an influence on my decisions as a head coach.’

So it wasn’t a clear cut message.

After getting the erection inducing win over West Ham, we have to bring the winning form to the CL. We must get at least a draw against Olympiacos to progress to the next stage as our next CL match will be against Bayern away. It was disappointing to draw 2-2 at Olympiacos after leading 2-0. It shows we cannot get complacent against them. Let's hope Mourinho will have the players lift their performance to get the much needed win in this match.

Our attack did well against Red Star when we won 4-0 away in our last CL match under Pochettino. We need our attack to be as clinical as that in this match. Kane, Son, Moura and Alli need to make use of their chances that they get. Too bad Lamela is still out injured. Not sure Mourinho will use Eriksen much unless he extends his contract with us. Also, it remains to be seen if Lo Celso will get to play much under Mourinho.

Our midfield is still a big question even under Mourinho. We tested with Winks and Dier against West Ham but not sure that is our best midfield partnership. We need to have Ndombele back soon. It will be interesting to see how Ndombele plays under Mourinho as he was not really outstanding under Pochettino. Sissoko also needs to improve his finishing under Mourinho if he wants to play.

It was disappointing to concede 2 late goals which almost proved costly against West Ham. It shows Mourinho needs to improve our defending. We need Vertonghen back from injury to partner Alderweireld. Mourinho also needs to guide Sanchez to correct his mistakes from his game. Gazzanga has not well in goal after Lloris got injured. He needs to continue his good form. He needs to try to get clean sheets more.

Mourinho has a strange record in the CL. He has won 2 CL trophies with Porto in 2004 and Inter in 2010 but he has not even reached the final after that despite managing Real Madrid, Chelsea and ManU since then. After reaching the CL final last season, let's hope Mourinho will get his magic back and help us go all the was to win it now. This is going to be another tough match as Olympiacos won't make it easy for us. Let's hope we will turn up with the right team and mentality to beat Olympiacos and progress to the next stage of the CL.

Fair play. I'll probably be in the Bricklayers before/after with a little group if you guys want some company. We've started a whatsapp group called 'Spurs Pubs' so we always know who's around.

Was a bit disappointed with the Volunteer to be honest, very small and not much atmosphere. I like the Beehive better, but it was all on the same day where we were doing a pub crawl to the ground from Tottenham Hale.

I'm so jealous when I read about you guys going on pub crawls before and after the games, I use to love having a few beevies at matches but with my bloody useless knees walking and standing for any longer than 5-10 mins is absolute agony.

Everybody dance now!

It is going to be interesting which players Mourinho picks against Olympiacos. Unlike Pochettino, don't think Mourinho will rest many players in this match. This is going to be another tense match as we need to get at least a draw to progress to the next stage. Let's hope we will put up a good performance and get a convincing win to reach the knockout stage of the CL.

Gazzanga has not well in goal after Lloris got injured. He needs to continue his good form. He needs to try to get clean sheets more.

Sometimes football is so infuriating in that we fans can see things so clearly, but these 'so called' professionals (i.e. players, coaches and managers) just can't.

If only we could get the message to Gazzaniga that 'he needs to try to let in less goals'.

We'd undoubtedly reap the benefits. For those not at our level of understanding of the game, it is put simply a good thing to let in less goals, as this means your opponent scores less as a result.

If they score less than we do, then we increase of chances of not losing exponentially.

"Not losing" is often demonstrated by teams who either "draw" a game (score the same amount as the opposition), or "win" a game (score a greater amount of times than the opposition).

Last edited:
Think he'll stick with most of the side that played Saturday, would expect:
----------------------Gazzaniga---------------------
Aurier--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose
---------------Ndombele--Dier----------------------
Moura------------------Dele---------------------Son
----------------------------Kane--------------------------

Will look to go 2 or 3 up then make changes around 70 minutes with Lo Celso, Sissoko and Winks coming on. Much like Saturday...

Sometimes football is so infuriating in that we fans can see things so clearly, but these 'so called' professionals (i.e. players, coaches and managers) just can't.

If only we could get the message to Gazzaniga that 'he needs to try to let in less goals'.

We'd undoubtedly reap the benefits. For those not at our level of understanding of the game, it is put simply a good thing to let in less goals, as this means your opponent scores less as a result.

If they score less than we do, then we increase of chances of not losing exponentially.

"Not losing" is often demonstrated by teams who either "draw" a game (score the same amount as the opposition), or "win" a game (score a greater amount of times than the opposition).

Scholarly!

Think he'll stick with most of the side that played Saturday, would expect:
----------------------Gazzaniga---------------------
Aurier--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose
---------------Ndombele--Dier----------------------
Moura------------------Dele---------------------Son
----------------------------Kane--------------------------

Will look to go 2 or 3 up then make changes around 70 minutes with Lo Celso, Sissoko and Winks coming on. Much like Saturday...
Do you think he’ll abandon the asymmetrical fullbacks then?
I can’t see Rose playing as a centre back in the way Davies did. If he likes that system going forward it might mean Foyth comes in as RB when Rose is at LB perhaps.

Possibly or Dier drops back to make a 3 with both fullbacks pushing on. Or if he continues with the wonky maybe he'll put Vertonghen at left back with Sanchez keeping his place next to Toby.

By Gad sir, you may be on to something!

Possibly or Dier drops back to make a 3 with both fullbacks pushing on. Or if he continues with the wonky maybe he'll put Vertonghen at left back with Sanchez keeping his place next to Toby.
We played some of our best football under Poch with Dier dropping back to make a back three when in possession. No idea whether Mourinho fancies Foyth, but I'm sure he rates Verts pretty highly.

Back