1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

OMT Tottenham Hotspurs vs SCBC

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by lurker of old, 3 Dec 2018.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Friday at 10:29 PM.
  1. Moura

4.5%
  2. Son

13.6%
  3. Lloris

81.8%
  1. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Mauricio Taricco

We tried to just manage the game at 3-0 and conserve energy. It didn’t work, we lost control, but at the end of the day we won 3-1 and the players probably did save a bit of energy compared to normal.

I’d say job done last night on the whole, only down side is Tripps got injured again.

2. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Teemu Tainio

So...
    it DID work?

P.D. and Kandi1977 like this.
  3. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Justin Edinburgh

I would say also on Southamton, if they were a bog standard mid table team who just had a bad day at the office and were 3-0 down, we probably wouldn’t have suffered so much against them while we tried to slow the tempo ourselves. But I think because they had a new manager in the stands, they were probably keen to impress.

A lot of teams just taking a regular beating would probably just cut their losses at 3-0 as well, rather than going the extra mile to impress or demonstrate any progress.

thfcsteff likes this.
  4. Gazza Dazzla

No, there are 2 parts to the sentence you quoted, controlling the game, which I said didn’t work (maybe this is the bit you disagree with?) and conserving energy, which I think they partially did. So...

5. Spurs7891

Spurs7891 Gerry Armstrong

Good to get back to winning ways by beating Southampton. After the disappointing defeat to Arsenal, we badly needed this win to lift our morale. Despite the win, it was a strange match. We scored all our goals at the start of each half and then went into sleep mode for the rest of the match. It could have been costly for us as Southampton scored a late goal and also had a few other goal scoring chances before that as well. Fortunately for us, they didn't make use of their chances.

Well done to Kane, Moura and Son for the goals. It was a crucial time for Kane to score our first goal so early in the match. Apart from the goal, Kane also assisted our third goal for Son. Despite this, thought Kane had a quiet match as he didn't get any other clear cut chances. Wish Kane had scored 1 or 2 more goals as that would made him the current top scorer. Credit also to Moura and Son for getting our other goals. Maybe Son should have scored at least 1 other goal in the first half as well. Eriksen also did well to assist the goal for Kane.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Both Dier and Winks were not really tested for most of the match. But we failed to fully control the midfield. This allowed Southampton to make far too many attempts on our goal. Somehow I think Sissoko would have helped our midfield more in this match. Also, not sure why the inexperienced Skipp came on for the last 3 minutes. Thought players like Nkoudou or Llorente deserve to get playing time instead.

It is disappointing that our defence failed to keep the clean sheet yet again. Alderweireld and Foyth did well for most of the match while Lloris made a few good saves as well. But we still ended up conceding the late goal. It seems like we always lack concentration for the last 5 minutes of the match. We really need to fully concentrate for the whole match and stop conceding these late goals.

Despite the win, we really need to be more ruthless against bottom teams. We have yet to score more than 3 goals in any of the league matches this season. With the top 4 race being so tight, goal difference might make a huge difference at the end of the season. Let's hope we will be more ruthless and score more goals in our coming matches.

6. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Steffen Iversen

I appreciate the long and detailed reply @BrainOfLevy but i think there are a lot of assumptions you're making that are quite counter-intuitive especially when you compare Poch to the very best coaches around: even Pep, who has possibly the deepest squad ever seen in PL, rotates his players and brings players on later in games to give others a rest, try new formations and team shapes etc. It's not like our players aren't human and potentially have human physical frailties like other teams - i think the increasing number of long-term injuries we as a squad are suffering highlight this.
    Fans at Soton also complained of his lack of rotation and how he constantly played the same players. I think that he had more reason/excuse at Soton who had a smaller squad; there is far less excuse with us.
    And getting minutes into Kane for conditioning? How many more does he need?? What about Llorente/Janssen or any other attackers - do they not need minutes to get conditioning?? Does then Poch actually want Gareth Southgate to play him for every minute for England even in friendlies to get minutes for conditioning??

As i say, thanks for the detailed reply but a lot of things you're saying seem to defy logic.
    Perhaps this chat can be picked up back in the Pochettino thread.

Bullet likes this.
  7. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Teemu Tainio

Managing the game rather than controlling it.

I would accept that we didn't control the game. If that's what you meant then I don't disagree.
    But I do think that isn't the same as managing - which is what you did say. Our game management was alright.

8. Gazza Dazzla

Semantics. let’s have a beer! COYS.

JerusalemMan likes this.
  9. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Jermaine Jenas

Can we have less of the anti semantic posts please, or push off and support Chelsea or the spammers.

galeforce likes this.
  10. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Dean Richards

I see what you did there.:D