• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur - Woolwich tossers

Long term absolutely, and everything is such a brick show at the moment maybe it will be quicker, but if the plan was ship out lamela and replace him for someone that migbt come good next year then that doesn't make nuch sense to me.
Plan for the future sure, be we still need to concentrate on the here and now.

From little I’ve seen of Gil he should be starting games, he looks like someone that can cause problems and is technically very good.

Long term absolutely, and everything is such a brick show at the moment maybe it will be quicker, but if the plan was ship out lamela and replace him for someone that migbt come good next year then that doesn't make nuch sense to me.
I think Gil this season will show more than we have seen from Lamela is he gets games
But that’s ifs, buts and maybes
Either way, my issue is the short termism in football is now just bonkers

Its not hard to argue that gil will be a better player, but currently, for us, in unsettled team with a new manager and a squad with several players showing a lack of commitment it seems like a long-term decision that could hurt us short term.
Could we have got gil without lamela going the way? Or even have offered glc instead?

I don't think Lamela would be starting games unless there were injuries. He was only good for a short run of game. An excellent squad player but never able to deliver game in and out.

Agreed, but as much as I like lamela I'm more interested in whats best for spurs, and i think this was a strange move.

Lamela was a squad player. People celebrated him for his desire and thuggery but he was in the team primarily in the team as an attacking player to score and create but we just didn’t see enough of that in his time here. 17 league goals in 8 seasons. Even if you ignore the first season he was here as he was injured for the most part, that’s still only just about 2 goals a season. Not to mention his well documented injury problems. He always looks great around August-September then he either gets injured or goes off the boil for a few months.

From little I’ve seen of Gil he should be starting games, he looks like someone that can cause problems and is technically very good.

I totally agree, gil looks ready to me.
But we were led to believe that he was one for the future, so leaving a hole in the squad.

I totally agree, gil looks ready to me.
But we were led to believe that he was one for the future, so leaving a hole in the squad.
Dele was one for the future when we brought him
He played straight away and in a new position too
If you good enough, your old enough

But it is formation that is he key.

We have a plethora of central defenders- Dier, Sanchez, Romero, Rodon, Tanganga

We have a few half decent wing backs - Reggie , Royal, Sess and even Dougherty.

We have two good ish Defensive Midfielders.

What we don't have is two outstanding central defenders . Nor two solid full backs who are comfortable in a defensive role. We don't have a Midric like deep lying midfielder nor do we have a game changing number 10 who can make defence splitting passes like Eriksen ( None of Dele, Winks , LoCelso or NDummy can successfully fill these roles) . Kane is currently a shadow of his former self and in my opinion isn't a great line leader at The best of times. Bergy isn't fast, can't beat a man, has poor distribution and can't hit a barn door. Son is excellent but streaky and Lucas has skill but is a headless chicken.

All in all, a rum lot. However, we certainly haven't been helped by Nunos team selections, formations and tactics. He must surely see we are best suited to three at the back with wingbacks covered by Hojberg and Skipp. To me that is a no brainier and would give us the foundation of a solid defence with the wingbacks giving us width and attacking capabilities ( a la Chelski and Liverpool)

With Lloris, that is 8 defensive players. The remaining three positions must be filled with attackers with a remit to run in behind and to get in and around the opposition box as often as possible. Football really isn't rocket science.

If Nuno continues with a four at the back , he must surely go.
With 8 defensive players on the pitch this team will score no goals. For that balance to work we would need some exceedingly creative, direct and dynamic forward players. We have a grand total of 2 (Gil is a question mark for the moment) one of which in Kane isn't playing well and doesn't even seem to want to be here. We simply do not have the attacking quality in the final 3rd to play 352 with 2 DMs.

Its not hard to argue that gil will be a better player, but currently, for us, in unsettled team with a new manager and a squad with several players showing a lack of commitment it seems like a long-term decision that could hurt us short term.
Could we have got gil without lamela going the way? Or even have offered glc instead?
I think we could've but financially would'nt have. I think the money coming back for Lamela was probably important.

We only spent about £30m net in the summer.
We have clearly also dropped the wage bill by a massive amount this year compared to last year:
Mourinho > Nuno (£11m PA saving?
Hart + Carter Vickers < Gollini (£1m PA cost?)
Alderweireld > Romero (£3m PA saving?)
Aurier = Royal (equal?)
Lamela > Gill (£2m PA saving?)
Sissoko > Skipp (£3m PA saving)
Bale > Son's pay rise. (£6m PA saving?)
Vinicius > Scarlett (£2m PA saving?)
Rose > Sessegnon (£2m PA saving?)

It is evident that we have massively tightened our belts.... The saving on our annual wage bill have probably pretty much covered the transfer fees paid. Funds are clearly very, very tight. I expect a few teams previously spending less than us on wages may move above us for wages paid this year (Leicester and perhaps Everton).

Lamela wasn't good for us today so getting a player in even if just for the future was no loss. And I like Lamela but let's not pretend he wasn't mediocre. [emoji28]

Lamela was a squad player. People celebrated him for his desire and thuggery but he was in the team primarily in the team as an attacking player to score and create but we just didn’t see enough of that in his time here. 17 league goals in 8 seasons. Even if you ignore the first season he was here as he was injured for the most part, that’s still only just about 2 goals a season. Not to mention his well documented injury problems. He always looks great around August-September then he either gets injured or goes off the boil for a few months.

A squad player in squad in full flux, he offered us some stability and continuity in a time of great change.
And its not about lamela per se, i'd say the same about moura, i said the same about Tanganga when the loan proposal came up.
There's some that do not want to be here or at best not to bothered, they would have been more of priority to move on for me.

Dele was one for the future when we brought him
He played straight away and in a new position too
If you good enough, your old enough
Again totally agree, but that wasn't the plan with gil. Or so we are led to believe.
Gil looked to me good enough rigbt off the bat, i find it odd that there are some at the club didn't.

A squad player in squad in full flux, he offered us some stability and continuity in a time of great change.
And its not about lamela per se, i'd say the same about moura, i said the same about Tanganga when the loan proposal came up.
There's some that do not want to be here or at best not to bothered, they would have been more of priority to move on for me.
You improve by targeting the weakest parts of your squad. Attacking creativity from the wide positions was a massive hole, Gil potentially fills that. Going for him now when we can and leveraging a player who has run his course with us is smart use of the market. Add to that Lamela plays in a position that we are particularly weak in then it's a bit of a no-brainer. I'm one of Levy's bigger critics but deals like the Lamela one are exactly what we should be doing.

Lamela wasn't good for us today so getting a player in even if just for the future was no loss. And I like Lamela but let's not pretend he wasn't mediocre. [emoji28]

I disagree with the mediocre, but hey ho, but a mediocre player is better than no player and that is effectively what the plan seems to have been.
Thankfully gil has been given a chance earlier than expected and grabbed it with two hands.
Him, skipp, Tanganga, royal and Romero give me hope for the near future.

You improve by targeting the weakest parts of your squad. Attacking creativity from the wide positions was a massive hole, Gil potentially fills that. Going for him now when we can and leveraging a player who has run his course with us is smart use of the market. Add to that Lamela plays in a position that we are particularly weak in then it's a bit of a no-brainer. I'm one of Levy's bigger critics but deals like the Lamela one are exactly what we should be doing.

I think gil is a great purchase, not convinced at the sense of selling lamela just now.
It looks like it will work well for us, but that will be more by luck than planning.

Tend to agree with this, from what little we have seen he looks full of tricks but its his awereness of what is going around him that is impressive, he does not lack confidence at all unlike someone like Bergwijn seems to do.( and i like Bergwijn)

Back