1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City ***

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by bjholmem, 9 Feb 2019.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Tuesday at 7:56 PM.
  1. Lloris

45.2%
  2. Rose

2.7%
  3. Sanchez

5.5%
  4. Sissoko

26.0%
  5. Son

2.7%
  6. Winks

17.8%
  1. Jon

Jon Sergei Rebrov

Then my work here is done!! :)

Hotshot-Tottenham likes this.
  2. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

decimated

;)

Seedy Ron likes this.
  3. Daisuk

Daisuk Pat van den Hauwe

Not sure if fortunate or efficient is the word for our display, but the stats are quite clear, Leicester created more good chances than us, and would've normally won that match (as we normally would've won the United game a few weeks back). Still though, you win some, you lose some. :)

4. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

That reminds me of when i first took my girl, she actually cuddled up and fell a sleep. :(

thfcsteff and Bedfordspurs like this.
  5. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

xG stats are a farce ( cue all the stats freaks posting in reply),Back to the game unlike some i have spoken too since it was a decent game to watch, two sides having a go at each other and trying to win the game. One of the problems Spurs have now is that since we have become a very good side a lot of games i go to now are dull as most sides set out to play defense to keep us out.

Leicester at least tried to win the game and it led to a end to end game.

6. DaveT316

DaveT316 Carlo Cudicini

Why are they a farce? Genuinely interested in your response here. I find them a handy way of understanding the quality of the chances during the game, not just the quantity.

7. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

I can see with my own eyes what type of chances are created in a game ( most folks can), i do not need some stats obsessed wanabbe explain it to me. Do not get me wrong stats are a tool and can be handy but the game is getting stats mad and we are as bad as the yanks are with everything having to be analysed to the max.

And that is from someone who has used stats in my working life, as i said that can be useful but they are a tool no more no less.

8. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steffen Freund

I can't see how our Xg is less than 2 because we scored 3 goal that you would always expect to score, a point blank header and a 1 on 1

They had no chances in the first half that were clear and 2 in the second plus the penalty IMO

Last edited: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:52 PM
    glasgowspur likes this.
  9. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steve Carr

10. Hotshot-Tottenham

Hotshot-Tottenham Jonathan Woodgate

It’s 10% I’ll never get back.

galeforce likes this.
  11. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Gheorge Popescu

In fairness to the King of the jungle, his point was that it would be difficult to improve our squad without spending on top, top players on massive wages and large transfer fees. I make him right, buying better than what we have is going to be difficult unless we unearth another Dele or Bale. I can't believe that we missed that Brooks lad that went to Bournmouth.

Pirate55 likes this.
  12. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Gheorge Popescu

Is that you Chich?

Jon likes this.
  13. alekaras

alekaras Ruel Fox

According to the numbers they did...

14. Raziel

Raziel Paul Stalteri

The problem is this

xG categorizes the "quality of the chance" however fails to understand the player the chance falls to.

Leicester fans/pundits say "Spurs were lucky" here's my reality, give 10 of exactly the same chances to Kane/Son/Eriksen/Dele and any 4 from any other side in the league, most days our 4 will outscore the others ..

We used to complain about exactly the same thing for all the years when we would "give a good account" against top 4 sides, would dominate longs stretches, then other side would get one chance and bury it, And I bet the xG would have said we should have won, but it was the quality that kills.

15. alekaras

alekaras Ruel Fox

So the problem here is not that it's stats, it's that the stats are incomplete. If you had a way to layer in player quality, according to what you're saying xG would paint a more accurate picture. The problem is now how to gauge player quality. I'm sure someone will figure it out (FIFA19 could be a start).

16. Raziel

Raziel Paul Stalteri

Yes, like any stat, it has some use .. but you need to apply intelligence to it.

It will help separate the wild pot shots/low percentage nonsense, but like possession, it doesn't say anything unless you watch the game and understand the context.

17. alekaras

alekaras Ruel Fox

You can. But you have 60+ years experience not only as a fan, but as someone who has worked in the game. For most average football viewers, however, it gives them a better sense of the game. It's not perfect and still not 400% accurate, but it's a good start.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  18. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

I wouldn’t say incomplete, xG is the “average return” from “average player” in each unique situation.

Very few “chances” (if any?) carry an xG score of 1 because there is always some muppet somewhere who has missed from there.

19. Jordinho

Jordinho Clive Allen Staff Member

Stats are very good at showing who has the slightest understanding of them and who hasn't a clue.

20. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Bingo.

Yermiyahu likes this.