• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Jurgen the German's favourite team ***

I'm not in the least upset by Liverpool, so no need to chill out.
But I'm still waiting on anyone to properly justify why they are considered serious challengers for the title.
They play fast exciting football, big deal, that alone doesn't make you a title challenger.
Their chances are inflated due to an over abundance of ex players and now their relatives in the media.

Its great that the media big them up, in my opinion. Let them pile the pressure on, and get in their faces when they lose away to Huddersfield in November. They almost lost a two goal lead to us three minutes into injury time yesterday, they definitely still have a few rooster ups in them.

Last season they were the 3rd/4th best side in the league - personally id say 2nd/3rd as United were in a false position. And have spent 170m improving the squad in the summer window - improving each position they were weak in last season with big money buys - they are every bit a title contender on paper
Spending money and the amounts you spend are no gaurntees to anything.
VVD has been an improvement on lovren, wouldn't be difficult, the keeper and kieta jury is still out on. They still looked shaky at the back yesterday and we were awful, and Salah is either knackered or has revered to mean.
They are no more challengers than we have been the last few years, ie distant 2nd or third.

They have a fantastic attack, now serious quality in midfield has been added to that and their only issue was their defence that has now severely tightened up. It’s not just the media talking them up, I’m yet to find anyone who doesn’t see Liverpool as City’s biggest rivals for the title. Other than for a select few on here of course who have some curiously weird fixation on not giving Liverpool credit....

I'm not denying their qualities, I'm arguing whether those qualities are being over egged. IMHO they are.

I'm not denying their qualities, I'm arguing whether those qualities are being over egged. IMHO they are.
I don’t see how they’re being over egged, no one is saying they are going to win it just that they are City’s closest challengers and they are. We were pretty much same standard as them last season, and they have spent 170m in key areas that has pushed them closer to being title challengers in the same way if we had that money to spend we would have been closer to being title challengers....

Spending money and the amounts you spend are no gaurntees to anything.
VVD has been an improvement on lovren, wouldn't be difficult, the keeper and kieta jury is still out on. They still looked shaky at the back yesterday and we were awful, and Salah is either knackered or has revered to mean.
They are no more challengers than we have been the last few years, ie distant 2nd or third.

You don't spend that money to stand still - whether they do or don't challenge remains to be seen but the signs so far are good, but the fact remains that laying down that sort of spend in one window from the position they were already in makes them a challenger, on paper, and if they don't it will be seen as a failure.

We spend 170m on our squad in one window and id be expecting a genuine title challenge enge too.

But you pause them in
We could have started with
Hugo (keepers don’t get tired the same way)
Aurier
Sanchez
Jan
Davies
Moussa sissoko
Winks
Lamela
Moura
Son
Llorente

That’s a decent side

What’s hurt is is lamelas injury, sissokk getting injured (he does a job). Son off to the Asian games... and even Foyth being out

As I said compared with pools strongest 11 they had 2 outfield WC starters. That ain’t gonna change much either as Holland are still brick, Guinea won’t quakify for anything, Scotland won’t either and Firmino won’t start for Brazil
At first I thought you listed our Saudi Sportswashing Machine line-up...

In addition to the players you mention as injured/missing Winks has been injured. Add Wanyama to that and the combination of many players competing late in the World Cup, injuries and Son leaving to win has been a real obstacle to pre season and our early season.

Of the players you mention that could have started only Aurier and Llorente has been left out voluntarily as far as I can see. I might be missing one or two, but I think that illustrates just how limited Pochettino's options have been. Trippier has been good enough to be ahead of Aurier on merit and looked in good physical condition. Llorente starting over Kane is not a decision I would make either. Even with hindsight I don't think a lot of fans would want that. Without Kane's 2 goals and one assist we might not have had the 9 points we do have right now.

Liverpool have.

Ox
Fabinho
Henderson
Milner
Wijnaldum
Keita

As Cm options

We have

Winks
Dembele
Wanyama
Dier

Levels - all those Liverpool players would get in our squad at least

Edit - Sissoko
That's only correct using a to me very confusing definition of what a cm is.

Liverpool play a central trio most games, one anchor, two box to box. Your listing of our players assumes a central deep duo in 4-2-3-1 or 5-2-3. Whenever we play a central trio both Eriksen and Alli can play box to box. Both would obviously get into the Liverpool squad and I wouldn't swap them for any midfielder in the Liverpool squad.

I don’t see how they’re being over egged, no one is saying they are going to win it just that they are City’s closest challengers and they are. We were pretty much same standard as them last season, and they have spent 170m in key areas that has pushed them closer to being title challengers in the same way if we had that money to spend we would have been closer to being title challengers....
If we had beaten Watford and Liverpool yesterday I’m certain some fans would have started to believe. Alas, losing twice already I don’t think we will be title challengers or city’s closest challengers. Liverpool will be up there IMO. 5 out of 5 is decent. If they win the next 5 then they are definitely title challengers (but already are in my eyes).

The spend is immaterial in my view, only time will tell if they are improvements. It's not like they haven't spent big before and still achieved nothing.
Beating a stuttering spurs is no more an indication that they are title challengers than us beating man utd.
Just as I would read to much into our performance against utd, I wouldn't with Liverpool yesterday.
They were the best of two poor teams in my view.
I say again, show me a Stat, one piece of imperial evidence, not an opinion, that says they will run the title winners close, say finish within 4/5 points.

Our midfield is very poor atm. When compared to our various competitors.
Winks Dembele and Wanyama are returning from or carrying injuries.
Then Dier who looks like he has a ketamine habit!

I absolutely hate Liverpool, but to claim they are not title contenders is wrong.

The 2 games against city will be massive and they beat them 4? Times last season

Back that up.
They were a distant fourth last season even after beating city.
Yes they've strengthened, but apart from us so has everyone else.
They will finish top three, but challenge no not in my view.

Back that up.
They were a distant fourth last season even after beating city.
Yes they've strengthened, but apart from us so has everyone else.
They will finish top three, but challenge no not in my view.

We sneaked third on the last couple of games, they were concentrating on the CL, it’s not like we were miles ahead

They have a keeper that can catch now
VVD and Gomez seem an upgrade on CB options
Robertson has stepped up again
They have options off the bench and to rotate

Us and united seem to have gone backwards

They are already points up on last season and City down

Back