• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v The Pellets ***

Thanks Finney - that is the situation I was talking about in the match thread, when Toby came rushing out and out and out again way out of position and NOBODY in our team reacted to the chasm in behind. Someone has to fill in OR Toby should not be rushing out, but it was awful to see it happening, against any decent team that is a big opportunity to breach our defence.
Maybe he rushed out as he knew the opposition were brick and we were in control of the tie? Who knows but Tobes...

He's 27 mate, he could probably do a serviceable job with a top level CB next to him but I don't see him ever being reliable.

Honestly I think he made a mistake, his best games for Spurs were as a DM, where he can be a bit brash, overcommit or just do sweep up work. Being the last man, having to judge more, just doesn't really suit him. His insistence that he is a CB or nothing will shorten his career with us.
A good centre back coming in doesn’t improve Dier’s positioning, awareness or decision making. Dier is the one who drags this defence down the most I think. If we bring in a top level CB then he may make just be able to make one of our other current options passable, Not Dier though I don’t think.

I agree that Dier did a reasonable job as a DM in Poch’s team when when he had Dembele protecting him and Toby and Jan behind him, his job was a very simple one, stay deep,and drop in centrally as Toby and Jan fanned out. That being said I thought we went up a notch when Wanyama came in to replace him. That Poch team also played on the front foot with teams not daring to press us, completely different to today when even the likes of Brighton will press us. Dier is absolutely horrible against a press, takes two touches to control the ball and takes an age to make a pass, he might just be the least press resistant midfield player I have ever seen.

Why was Toby rushing out? I didn’t pay any attention to the game TBH
He was tracking his player out. Once you’ve gone a little way out you have to continue to go, otherwise the opponent can turn and take advantage of the gap before it has been filled, though in our case of course it never gets filled.

on top of the two moments I showed pictures of in my previous post there was also another moment where Dier took out their player who was in on goal. It should’ve been a red card but somehow the ref didn’t see it.

Last edited:
He was tracking his player out. Once you’ve gone a little way out you have to continue to go, otherwise the opponent can turn and take advantage of the gap before it has been filled, though in our case of course it never gets filled.

on top of the two moments I showed pictures of in my previous post there was also another moment where Dier took out there player who was in on goal. It should’ve been a red card but somehow the ref didn’t see it.
He was tracking a player out?
So a player that he could have handed over to midfield?
Yeah the red card one was an odd miss from the ref

He was tracking a player out?
So a player that he could have handed over to midfield?
Yeah the red card one was an odd miss from the ref
Possibly. Winks wasn’t too far away, though would’ve been challenging from the wrong side. It shouldn’t matter though if the other centre back or the defensive midfield player knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
He's 27 mate, he could probably do a serviceable job with a top level CB next to him but I don't see him ever being reliable.

Honestly I think he made a mistake, his best games for Spurs were as a DM, where he can be a bit brash, overcommit or just do sweep up work. Being the last man, having to judge more, just doesn't really suit him. His insistence that he is a CB or nothing will shorten his career with us.

For me it is his best position, if we get another CB this summer i hope he goes back into CM.

For me it is his best position, if we get another CB this summer i hope he goes back into CM.
It might be his best position (I'm not sure tbh) but he's not particularly good at it. At best a squad option but likely fairly low down. Hojberg would be ahead of him as Skipp looks much more the part as well. If he goes back to being a DM it just hastens him leaving the club. There's no space for him as a DM anymore.

It might be his best position (I'm not sure tbh) but he's not particularly good at it. At best a squad option but likely fairly low down. Hojberg would be ahead of him as Skipp looks much more the part as well. If he goes back to being a DM it just hastens him leaving the club. There's no space for him as a DM anymore.

He has played well at DM in the past ( i accept our CBs were stronger/better then though), not saying he should/would be a first choice there but imo he would still get games. I guess we shall see who comes in from elsewhere.

He has played well at DM in the past ( i accept our CBs were stronger/better then though), not saying he should/would be a first choice there but imo he would still get games. I guess we shall see who comes in from elsewhere.

The problem is Dier has staked his career on CB, Jose saw him as a DM as well, but from everything seen/read he basically said he doesn't want to play DM which lead to his extended run as CB this season (and us not even having an option other than Sissoko to cover PEH)

Personally I think he moves on, Tanganga and Rodon are the potential, Toby could play the experienced head for another season, you buy the leader/top CB and you shift the other two.

The problem is Dier has staked his career on CB, Jose saw him as a DM as well, but from everything seen/read he basically said he doesn't want to play DM which lead to his extended run as CB this season (and us not even having an option other than Sissoko to cover PEH)

Personally I think he moves on, Tanganga and Rodon are the potential, Toby could play the experienced head for another season, you buy the leader/top CB and you shift the other two.

Not disagreeing with what you say at all, if he is not willing to go back into CM ( if Jose asks him to) then he has the option to sit on the bench or leave. Its down to him.

Not disagreeing with what you say at all, if he is not willing to go back into CM ( if Jose asks him to) then he has the option to sit on the bench or leave. Its down to him.
He wouldn't get on our bench as a midfield player. He is worse in midfield than he is in defence as his lack of ability on the ball is shown up more.

Last edited:
Back