1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

**** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield United ****

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by markysimmo, 16 Jan 2021.

1. billyiddo

billyiddo Willie Hall Staff Member

Personally i hope he isn't fit because i want to see some evidence that Mourinho is learning from mistakes - Sissoko in for Bergwijn again and we will learn another lesson about Mourinho and what we can expect going foward

Pirate55 and AjaxDeSuperYids like this.
  2. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Vedran Corluka

Having lost to a newly promoted Wolves 3-1 at home three days beforehand. Going out with positive intent doesn’t guarantee a win no more than going out with an intention to defend guarantees anything.

I would rather we go out and play more attacking football but that does bring additional risks.

3. AjaxDeSuperYids

AjaxDeSuperYids Pascal Chimbonda

I always thought cardiff was before wolves but having checked you are right, but it does seem it was around that time that Poch started to become demented.

DeanoAustin likes this.
  4. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jack Jull

Hopefully his finishing is this sharp tomorrow too...

5. billyiddo

billyiddo Willie Hall Staff Member

At the moment, the track record suggests the risks come with one style of play over another - we're not conceding match defining goals whilst playing to win the game...

Kenyan Spur, Pirate55 and DeanoAustin like this.
  6. DeanoAustin

I completely agree and want Jose to get us attacking more and playing with the ball more. If we do that, I suspect we will win but I’ll accept whatever result comes because that’d be an improvement for me.

My point is that there is no way of playing here that guarantees a win. We could win playing Mourinho-ball and we could lose playing a more progressive type of football.

7. Daisuk

Daisuk Jimmy McCormick

I just hope we're able to play like men for 90 minutes - try to attack and score throughout the game, and don't sit back to defend like pussies if we score a goal. But not much evidence of that ever going to happen. Let's see. Come on, boys.

Pirate55 likes this.
  8. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

It's getting to the point where you dread us taking an early lead. We almost need to do the opposite, ie defend for 80 minutes then go all out attack. Something like what Arse used to do pre-Wenger.

9. milo

milo Jürgen Klinsmann Staff Member

I think that the main thing that we need to do is change the way that we defend set pieces. Clubs have worked it out and you are seeing the same moves from opponents every game to create chances.

The Fulham game was really frustrating but on another day, we would be three goals up before they started putting us under pressure.

Aldo, K.D.D.D.D.Soc and Baleforce like this.
  10. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

Agreed, playing Sissoko as a right forward vs Fulham depressed the hell outta me. That shows a massive lack of understanding from Mou. Incredible that he thought Sissoko could do well up front. I would rather play Gazzaniga at right wing forward.

Dicko and Bedfordspurs like this.
  11. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

I went to this game.

iirc it was a midweek game before the memorable fa cup QF win against City at Maine Road. I had a girlfriend from Manchester so went to this then stayed over until Sunday. Went to the Hacienda on the Friday for good measure.

DeanoAustin and billyiddo like this.
  12. AdamB

AdamB Colin Calderwood

I accept that on another day we could have been 3 up, but for pretty much all the second half they were bossing possession.

I doubt whether prior to the equaliser there would have been a 5 min period where we have more than 50% possession. That really isn't acceptable against a team of Fulham's standard

Equally, without wanting to sound arrogant, if Fulham start putting us under pressure, we should be able to respond and we should respond. We didnt. Thats not acceptable either

Pirate55 likes this.
  13. DeanoAustin

That’s exactly it. The Emirates Marketing Project game where Nayim scored a hat trick and Terry Phelan scored a worldie for them. I thought we’d get murdered by City after Sheffield United dingdonged us. Jesus, that must have been traumatic watching that brick. Hope your girlfriend did something to ease the trauma...

14. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Chris Perry

But imagine the pay-off if he scores. To Dare Is To Do.

15. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jack Jull

Who needs Bale when you've got Sissoko!

16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vivian Woodward

That’s what matters
    A genuine 90 minute performance with a balanced effort over both halves
    We did it vs Leeds but that may be an outlier
    Beyond that...

Daisuk likes this.
  17. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Terry Fenwick

Have they equalised yet?

18. thfcsteff

thfcsteff David Ginola Staff Member

That game switched on two bizarre moments. One, we subbed Dele off at 1-0 which was a poor decision, and secondly, we did not get Skipp on fast enough. The first-half of that game we were super solid, Kane scored a belter, etc...

We then spanked Cardiff, fun day out that, albeit it should've been 6!!!!

Daisuk likes this.
  19. Nexus1967

Nexus1967 Andy Gray

I think we have been very unlucky in a couple of games this season. And we are too reliant on Kane and Sonny for the goals this year. No one else is weighing in with goals when we need them. We should have probably gone in 3 goals up at half time against Fulham, we had some great chances but good goalkeeping and poor finishing meant we didn`t. Then Son scuffs his chance against the post, if that goes in its game over, even though I don`t think people on here are taking into account that Fulham were playing quite well.
    If Bergwin had taken the chances at Pool we could have won that. Trouble is at the moment when anyone apart from Harry or Sonny get a chance you wouldn`t bet on them scoring. The days of Dele ghosting in and scoring 15 - 20 a season seem ages ago.

What season was it we had about 18 different players in the squad on the scoresheet?
    Also not having crowds is playing a big part, 60000 groaning every time the ball goes backwards or sideways or roaring it forward must have a big effect, and I think we lose a lot of the home advantage

20. StephenH

StephenH Jimmy Cantrell

coys.jpg
    Onwards and upwards! ​