1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

**** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Canning Town Bingo Club ****

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by markysimmo, 20 Feb 2021.

1. GPRD81

GPRD81 Sean Davis

A lot to agree with here....over the space of the last 5 games (after the turgid and insipid performances and losses to Brighton, Liverpool and Chelsea) we have at least started to play better and more on the front foot - playing a back 4 with Hojbjerg and Ndombele as a pivot - is definitely a sign of a more progressive approach. I actually enjoyed the game yesterday (as I did with Everton) and ultimately the big calls and the vital spin of the ball didn't go for us yesterday - still think the first goal was a foul on Reggie. If that game plays out 5 times we win twice, draw twice and lose one which is sadly how it turned out.

The net result, however, is that we've lost games to Everton, Emirates Marketing Project and West Ham playing this way so it's not been effective.

Pirate55 likes this.
  2. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Tom Huddlestone

Two new CBs and another midfielder, some time to settle, and I think we have a potent team. Mourinho should be able to get one CB pair working. He has to. And he has to put faith in them and elevate them. But that was more Poch's bag than Mourinho.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  3. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Well, that's the tough call the manager gets to make knowing his job is on the line

- Does he try to change again?
    - Or does he look at the progress, the fact that games like Everton & West Ham, 9 times out of 10 we would/should have won, and persist?

Mikey10 and Bedfordspurs like this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vivian Woodward

I agree that the right signings in the right areas will make all the difference
    And there very doable
    We don’t need best in class players. We need capable players. My only worry is the brain drain on new signings if we have any legacy “mind set” issues

5. GPRD81

GPRD81 Sean Davis

I guess you have to look to balance out the games earlier in the season that we won with perhaps an equal element of luck about them - Man C particulalry springs to mind but judging luck is subjective at best. I think, overall, my conclusion is that we were never as good as the league table suggested in November but equally we're not quite as bad as it currently indicates.

parklane1 likes this.
  6. GPRD81

GPRD81 Sean Davis

Few general points from me re yesterday game:

1. Their first goal is a foul on Reggie. Soucek goes right through him - to quote Mourinho 'it's a modern foul' - Reggie does not act like an 'intelligent clam' he gets straight up and immediately ensures that by being in a position to defend VAR will take no interest. If he stays down and our players make a big fuss of of it VAR at least has to seriously consider it and look on a frame by frame replay which surely results in a foul. (of course had we defended the cross properly this isn't an issue!)

2. A goal that early changes the dynamic of the game - it means its very difficult to work out what either team's game plan was. I thought it took us 20 minutes to establish any sort of pattern of play which is disappointing.

3. West Ham were effective by shutting off Ndombele; they knew he was our tactic of progressing through midfield and managed to negate him meaning we had to play directly into Kane and Son.

7. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Steffen Iversen

Regi getting taken out didn’t actually impact anything (although a foul should’ve been given). It is Son who has been horribly lazy here and neglected his job.

8. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Frederic Kanoute

Reggie getting taken out makes that picture look worse than it is, if he wasn't taken out less there's less space. But it's happening even with a full complement of players.

Hotshot-Tottenham likes this.
  9. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Steffen Iversen

He would’ve been nowhere near Bowen.

10. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Jermaine Jenas

How brick must Rondon be, to not get a game in the centre of our defence?

11. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

One of the most sensible things that has been posted among the ( mostly)hysteria since the game finished.

Pirate55 and Raziel like this.
  12. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

Watch the video, Reguilon gets wiped out, several of our players hesitate expecting the foul call, it's that half a second that allows us to be badly positioned to respond to game continuing.

You could argue if they should have hesitated, but to say it didn't impact anything isn't quite true.

Hotshot-Tottenham likes this.
  13. 90291Spur

90291Spur Paul Robinson

I love PEH, but I noticed him looking around and pointing (he wasn't the only one who didn't perform perfectly at that point). The PEH from earlier in the season (the PEH that hadn't played so many minutes, so frequently), more likely would have been on to closing down the player with the ball.

Pirate55 likes this.
  14. Raziel

Raziel Johnny Morrison

I think PEH has played too many games

But as I said, a few players either appealed, or pointed, were in someway distracted by the pure blatancy of the Reguilon wipeout

15. GPRD81

GPRD81 Sean Davis

They either needed to stop completely or harrang the referee and assistant and implore that the foul is given...and then go ballistic when it wasn't or need to completely ignore the incident and defend the situation. Critically they did neither and whilst there are then other factors will result in the goal being scored this first phase affects the next three.
    As a referee (at a very rudimentary amateur level!) I know we should never be impacted by players reactions but that there was barely no reaction whatsoever will surely have helped VAR that there was nothing worth looking at. I'm sure had the onfield Referee (who I thought was very poor yesterday) had been made to look at a frame by frame replay he'd have been tempted to awarding a foul.
    Like I say the moment Reggie gets back to his feet and is nominally in a position to defend the cross VAR loses any interest in the incident and it doesn't affect the goal being scored. He stays on the ground and there's a case.

16. Baleforce

Baleforce Jürgen Klinsmann

Isn’t VAR supposed to review every goal scoring phase?

17. thfcsteff

thfcsteff David Ginola Staff Member

Appreciate the longer response, I'll just reply to the bold-face.

1 &2) You did say it is a results-driven business. Progress is relative I suppose. The progress in these games has been the slow realization from our Pragmatist In Chief that we are a better side going forward with the ball than sitting off without it. Obviously this is a challenge for Mourino as it is not what he has built his reputation on. In that sense, expecting David Bowie when you have Coldplay is a bit silly, but Chris Martin has the chops to do a blinding version of "Heroes" and as such, I'd be hoping Jose sees that we're better as Starmen not clocks!

3) Yes, I feel the same. Life has dealt some madness to everyone, and for some of us deeper issues yet, so this is all what it is. I remain grateful to them all that we have them right now, it is a public service IMO and a damn important one!

18. thfcsteff

You know me. Statto to the end!!!!!

19. thfcsteff

Switched off in so many areas.

20. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Frederic Kanoute

You sir, are dead to me.