• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT***Tottenham Hotspur FC v Woolwich Wanckers

I think what Stef was trying to say is that 'Parking the bus' is generally considered a tactic for teams who are happy to take a draw. They sit in, and don't ever attempt to attack. The way we set up we were actually trying to win the game, Poch just felt that we had the best chance of doing this by sitting in deep and hitting them on the counter so from that angle we didn't 'Park the Bus' which is generally used in the media as a derogatory phrase.

This.

Good discussion though, and fair play to andyandy for bringing it up...

Sorry Arsene, but our manager actually takes who are playing against into consideration and plans accordingly, much different to you who doesn't change his tactics for anyone, I'm sure they will line up exactly the same way on Sunday against Chelsea and make no plans whatsoever to try and negate the threat of Costa, Hazard and Fabregas. That's partly why Drogba used to rape them every time he played against them. Don't matter who they play, Wigan, Barcelona or Everton, he lines up the same way every time. That's either incredibly arrogant or utterly stupid.

Sorry Arsene, but our manager actually takes who are playing against into consideration and plans accordingly, much different to you who doesn't change his tactics for anyone, I'm sure they will line up exactly the same way on Sunday against Chelsea and make no plans whatsoever to try and negate the threat of Costa, Hazard and Fabregas. That's partly why Drogba used to rape them every time he played against them. Don't matter who they play, Wigan, Barcelona or Everton, he lines up the same way every time. That's either incredibly arrogant or utterly stupid.

Let's be fair, it's nice to seem him back on form LOL!!!!! :lol:

actually i see parking the bus as a valid strategy, don't get all this antifootball hate etc.

its purpose of course is to nick a point where a loss was the probable outcome. and mabye a strategy for small minded team, but its a valid way to play. and i quite enjoy watching a tight game where wave after wave of attacks are rebuffed, especially when you have highly touted striker - great time to see what they are made of.

also it takes a tremendous amount of concentration and energy to just park the bus, and it doesn't work once the defence is breached, so such teams have of course a plan B. and a lot of pre match observations working out the other teams attack and key players in open play and set pieces.

and the best of players - messi, ronald, neymar and bale - comes to mind, now these guys are the gamechangers, able to score against any team regardless their defensive strategy.

Satisfied with the point but wish we had won. After the way we scored our goal, it is disappointing we didn't manage to hold on to the lead. For all their domination, Arsenal were poor and their attack were toothless. Almost all their shots were direct at Lloris who did well to save them. They didn't look like scoring until their goal. Credit to Eriksen and Lamela for setting up the goal for Chadli. Nice to see Chadli continue his goal run but Boom shaka laka a reliable striker instead.

Satisfied with the point but wish we had won. After the way we scored our goal, it is disappointing we didn't manage to hold on to the lead. For all their domination, Arsenal were poor and their attack were toothless. Almost all their shots were direct at Lloris who did well to save them. They didn't look like scoring until their goal. Credit to Eriksen and Lamela for setting up the goal for Chadli. Nice to see Chadli continue his goal run but Boom shaka laka a reliable striker instead.

re-reading the start of this thread we see how opinions change after the game. most were afraid that we'd get thrashed by arsenal before the game.

I think what Stef was trying to say is that 'Parking the bus' is generally considered a tactic for teams who are happy to take a draw. They sit in, and don't ever attempt to attack. The way we set up we were actually trying to win the game, Poch just felt that we had the best chance of doing this by sitting in deep and hitting them on the counter so from that angle we didn't 'Park the Bus' which is generally used in the media as a derogatory phrase.

It all depends who you are when it comes to the media spin. When Mourinho does it, it's a tactical masterclass combined with brilliant, incisive counter-attacking play. When any non-Sky-4 opposition do it, it's parking the bus while hoping for a lucky, breakaway goal.

It all depends who you are when it comes to the media spin. When Mourinho does it, it's a tactical masterclass combined with brilliant, incisive counter-attacking play. When any non-Sky-4 opposition do it, it's parking the bus while hoping for a lucky, breakaway goal.

Me I'm quite the opposite , I get a big thrill eat hung a bunch of unknowns shut out a team sheet that reads like a list of football's who's who...the "ball is round" type of epiphany...

Just look at the press and the arsenal fans in denial the last few days :)

Mourinho always sets up to get a point away in tough games. If he nicks the win then fair enough but Mourinho's strategy over a season is try win your home games, try win your away games against lesser teams, try not lose your away games against tougher teams.

He sets up to park the bus and hit on the break. It often works.

Arsenal are very good on the ball, if you turn it into a football match against them, even the better teams can come unstuck. But Arsenal are very often frustrated, even by considerably inferior teams by the park-the-bus approach, as Arsenal's strategy is always about quick passing on the edge of the box. They very rarely go for long-balls or crosses into the box.

If you pack the edge of your area you can very easily frustrate them. It's often frustrated me that we go to the Emirates and play open against Arsenal and often get d**ked as a result, when so many poor teams go there and get a point by just being difficult to beat.

Even AVB got lulled into the whole derby hype and we need to go toe-to-toe with them footballing wise. No, we don't. Maybe at WHL we do, but not over there. Get a point, it's better for us than for them. Nothing wrong with that. We almost nicked it.

actually i see parking the bus as a valid strategy, don't get all this antifootball hate etc.

its purpose of course is to nick a point where a loss was the probable outcome. and mabye a strategy for small minded team, but its a valid way to play. and i quite enjoy watching a tight game where wave after wave of attacks are rebuffed, especially when you have highly touted striker - great time to see what they are made of.

also it takes a tremendous amount of concentration and energy to just park the bus, and it doesn't work once the defence is breached, so such teams have of course a plan B. and a lot of pre match observations working out the other teams attack and key players in open play and set pieces.

and the best of players - messi, ronald, neymar and bale - comes to mind, now these guys are the gamechangers, able to score against any team regardless their defensive strategy.

I completely agree, anyone who'd argue parking the bus isn't a valid strategy wouldn't know what they were talking about. From a spectator's point of view it's most likely going to be boring, though. It's actually quite interesting to see how effective the parking the bus strategy can be. We've seen it countless times against us at The Lane, a supposed weaker team come to play us, park the bus, and often frustrates us enough for us to lose or get a disappointing draw (or a really dull 1-0 win). It's interesting because not a lot of teams seem to know how to play against teams that line up like that, even though this defensive setup has been around for quite a few years now. You'd think managers would start to figure out ways to counteract this formation at some point.

I completely agree, anyone who'd argue parking the bus isn't a valid strategy wouldn't know what they were talking about. From a spectator's point of view it's most likely going to be boring, though. It's actually quite interesting to see how effective the parking the bus strategy can be. We've seen it countless times against us at The Lane, a supposed weaker team come to play us, park the bus, and often frustrates us enough for us to lose or get a disappointing draw (or a really dull 1-0 win). It's interesting because not a lot of teams seem to know how to play against teams that line up like that, even though this defensive setup has been around for quite a few years now. You'd think managers would start to figure out ways to counteract this formation at some point.

But 'parking the bus' in football parlance surely means that the bus is parked with no intention of moving? If anyone tried to argue that we 'parked the bus' at the goons, I'd laugh. How many times did we break at speed with genuine opportunities? A lot, especially in the first-half. 'Parking the bus' is what we got a lot under the Redknapp era, when smaller sides would literally put 10 men deep deep behind the ball and rely on one chance. Had our final ball been better last week, we'd have been in for at least 3 more one on ones/easy chances. Not the same tactic IMV.

Back