1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

OMT - Spurs v West Ham

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by parklane1, 14 Oct 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 20 Oct 2020.
  1. Kane

84.5%
  2. Hojbjerg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. N'Dombele

13.8%
  4. Reguilon

1.7%
  5. Son

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bishop

Bishop Jose Dominguez

Davies would have on retrospect been a better option but conversely we would have then been going completely defensive despite having a massive lead something I'm sure many would have complained about (myself included).

Mourinho wasn't to know that the usually committed Moura would put in a such a pitiful attempt at defending their attack leading directly to the 2md goal.

brick happens, the important thing is to learn from this and not make the same mistakes again. Jose I think won't stand for it.

thfcsteff and Pirate55 like this.
  2. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Jimmy Neighbour

I don't think Dier is strong in the air at all. If you put him in with the rest of the centre halves and target man centre forwards in the league I think he would be in the bottom half of that group. He may be the best in the air of our current quota at the club (pre Rodon, and we haven't seen him yet) but isn't pretty strong, he 'passable' I'd say. Play him with Rodon though and that may well be a good combination.

3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

Who do you rate aerially?
    Cahill is quality but past it everywhere else
    Keane is really strong
    Dunk is very good too

4. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Jimmy Neighbour

giphy.gif

5. Bedfordspurs

Dunk wins most duels in the air which is what I’m highlighting.

6. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

Can we lock this thread? Please? I can't take it anymore.

90291Spur and nayenezgani like this.
  7. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

I actually said "pretty strong" and I stand by that. He is indeed the best we currently have at CB (don't yet know about Rodon). My point is that we need a warrior there. Every Premier League team that has recently won the Premiership has had a warrior at CB .

8. Finney Is Back

Mings and Konsa at Villa
    Dunk and White at Brighton
    Tarkowski and Mee at Burnley (also Wood and Barnes up top)
    Rudiger at Chelsea (and also Giroud up top)
    Cahill at Palace
    Keane and Mina at Everton (also Calvert Lewin up top)
    Souyuncu, Evans and Morgan at Leicester
    Van Dyke at Liverpool
    Maguire at Man Utd
    Lascelles and Schar at Newcastle (also Carroll)
    Verstergaard at Southampton
    Boly at Wolves (perhaps also Jiminez up front)
    I think West Ham's centre halves are probably on a par in terms of their aerial prowess.
    I haven't seen enough of the three promoted teams to comment really but I wanted us to bring in Robin Poch, who went to Leeds and I thought that Hector looked pretty commanding in the playoff final for Fulham but haven't really seen anything else of him

9. Bedfordspurs

Minus is one I’ve said for a while would be good for us
    White I’ve not seen anything of to comment
    The Burnley ones are classic English CBS abs very good in the air

10. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Exactly my point. We don't have one player who is commanding in the air in defense. Note how few goals our CBs score yet go forward for every corner and most free kicks. It has been an Achilles heel for a long time.

DaveT316 likes this.
  11. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

We weren't actually that dominant. We were good, and clinical in the extreme to get to 3-0 (3 shots, 3 on target, 3 goals). After that we didn't do much. And West Ham were playing some decent football. If one cares about xG it was pretty close in this game.

Through a combination of being good and clinical/lucky we found ourselves 3-0 up. That was not a 3-0 first half the way I saw it. We were better, we deserved our lead, but most games that performance is a one or two goal lead at most.

Similarly West Ham didn't truly dominate, they didn't create enough chances to get 3 goals back on most days. But they were clinical/lucky enough to get them.

The way we responded to going 3-0 up isn't good enough. But it's a response you get away with 9 times out of 10 because 3 goals.

It's infuriating and of course we all fear it's a sign of things to come. It's even more frustrating having picked up only 2 points from 3 home games. It shows weakness. Mourinho and the players have their work cut out for them to make sure this doesn't happen again, to build on all the positives we've seen this season despite this disappointment.

The recent games highlight both how far we've come, but also the problems that remain.

12. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

We were almost 'too good' in the first 15 mins, after that we coasted too much. I'm often concerned when we take a very early lead, as it takes a lot of will and determination to keep going at full pelt for another 85 mins.

thfcsteff, Baleforce and MKSpur like this.
  13. Finney Is Back

It is quite normal for a team that goes a couple of goals behind early to catch up on XG though.... it comes as they naturally push forward and try to get more shots in, while the team who are winning are just looking to protect their lead.

If I look at the rest of the match, West ham missed a sitter at the start of the second half but other than that we still had the next best two chances - Bale's one and also the one where (I think) Son arrived at the back post with it looking easier to score than miss but their keeper somehow saved it.

alekaras likes this.
  14. 90291Spur

90291Spur Johnny Morrison

Was just thinking that. Threads for games like this need to be deleted.

15. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Steed Malbranque

We should have kept Vertongen for this season. After all he was the best defender we had.

That leaves a masive masive hole at the back!

glasgowspur likes this.
  16. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Vertonghen was well past it by the time he left

17. Bedfordspurs

Some people think of players like fine cheese forgetting most actually stink when their too old

18. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Jimmy McCormick

Ok, that was actually quite humiliating in the end.
    Has been close to happening before: remember both of Jose's first two league games last season??

Anyway, there were some thrilling bits and it's those i'm trying to hang onto...whilst also wanting to ask: would a possession-based game (that we used to have at our peak with Poch) have put us in a better position to hold onto that lead? Would a tempo-setter (like an Eriksen before the start of 2018/19) have meant we'd have seen the game out?

Just hope Jose concentrates on the positives we showed and doesn't get too much of a hump with some of the players...hopefully we use this as a springboard.
    We really need that first clean sheet though

COYS

19. Doctor76

Doctor76 Andy Booth

I can usually get over bad results quickly but i'm finding it really hard to shift the disappointment of this one. The two points lost, everyone laughing at us....so frustrating.

20. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Jimmy McCormick

I feel you:(

But, it's probably better to be laughed at now and laugh back at the haterz later in the season....right..?:oops:

Last edited: 20 Oct 2020
    Doctor76 likes this.