• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Burnley

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it’s because he has a business brain too, running his own companies

Yeah probably. I remember him and Carragher having a proper argument about it and Carragher was acting like a pure fan saying “he just has to back Pochettino, he has to give him the players he wants to challenge” whereas Neville could see that there’s a commercial reality in football and Levy was making sure he was doing what he was doing in a sustainable way.

We all go a bit Carragher at times (minus the spitting at kids obviously) but Neville wiped the floor with him in that discussion for me.

We all go a bit Carragher at times (minus the spitting at kids obviously) but Neville wiped the floor with him in that discussion for me.
Thought they were OK last night.
Carragher is a prat but not so bad of late. I must be mellowing.
Macmananaman really gets on my tits though.

It was nice to hear Gary Neville say that he was fairly stunned by our transfer window business, and amusing to see him try to compute it alongside his preconceptions of Levy.
The sound was off, so I can't be sure, but before our game it looked like Neville was cherry picking stats from the six games this season, to show how well Ole is doing, particularly if his first choice midfield aren't injured! Long may that continue.

I cant understand how we won this game after reading postings on here, both our fullbacks were rubbish, Alderweireld was frequently beaten for pace by Wood, Dier made a terrible mistake and was lucky and we created very little. Wish we were as good as we were against West Ham and got a point. When playing teams like Burnley you need an early goal to open up the game the longer it stays level or they take the lead the game just gets worse as far as any decent football being allowed by their cynical tactics.

Davies was making up a three man defence for much of the game, so you can't expect him to be in wingback positions as frequently as Reguilon.
I didn't notice that.... It looked like we played a standard 4 at the back to me and not the wonky type formation that Mourinho was favouring last season.

See the fbs getting stick for slowing it down, I call it retaining possession when there's nothing on.
Last thing we wanted to do was give them easy opportunities to hoof the ball forward quickly after a turn over.
It wasn't about retaining possession it was about squandering the few occasions when we were attacking Burnley before they had got organised again. Our fullbacks were our players who had the most space on the pitch and we needed quality from them to capitalise on that, as intricate passing through the middle wasn't going to work due to Burnley being so well organised and having so many men there. On most occasions when our full backs received it in good positions we had at least 2 in the box only for the ball to be delivered far too slowly and/or with no quality.

I didn't notice that.... It looked like we played a standard 4 at the back to me and not the wonky type formation that Mourinho was favouring last season.
Likewise, I saw him as just playing as an orthodox LB, he often had the ball in the middle third of the pitch. His distribution was rather poor but we already know he isn't on the same attacking level as Reguillion.

It wasn't about retaining possession it was about squandering the few occasions when we were attacking Burnley before they had got organised again. Our fullbacks were our players who had the most space on the pitch and we needed quality from them to capitalise on that, as intricate passing through the middle wasn't going to work due to Burnley being so well organised and having so many men there. On most occasions when our full backs received it in good positions we had at least 2 in the box only for the ball to be delivered far too slowly and/or with no quality.
They rarely got the ball early and in space. Far too often it bounced around the back and midfield before slowly making its way out to the wings. The few times they did get it in space they didn't use it well.

Sissoko clattered Barnes too after Toby got the elbow. I'm no Sissoko fan but thought last night was the sort of game you use him if you're going to use him. Was better than Winks, for example, would have been. Left a bit on a couple of their players.
Interesting after all of the comments about Sissoko over the years that he's only playing because of this or that (nobody else available, shop window as we want to sell him, to save face after paying £30m for him, etc, etc - admittedly mostly coimng from Nayim* but still....) and here Sissoko is with one of the most successful managers ever picking him despite the likes of Lamela, Winks and Lo Celso on the bench.

Sissoko is limited in many ways but does give us a platform to play and that is important.

* Whatever happened to Nayim anyway?.... Despite my reasonably regular arguments with him I do miss his postings on here and while he was clearly very wrong on Sissoko, he could at least come back to me with a 'told you so' about Mourinho

Each to their own, we all see things differently. For me a player in space with ball just means those without the ball have less space, why pass it to them to lose it.
Burnley very effectively shad our front three for 70 mins, we played the waiting game and it paid off.

I cant understand how we won this game after reading postings on here, both our fullbacks were rubbish, Alderweireld was frequently beaten for pace by Wood, Dier made a terrible mistake and was lucky and we created very little. Wish we were as good as we were against West Ham and got a point. When playing teams like Burnley you need an early goal to open up the game the longer it stays level or they take the lead the game just gets worse as far as any decent football being allowed by their cynical tactics.
Both our fullbacks were pretty rubbish, Dier did make a bad mistake and Alderweireld was beaten for pace by Wood frequently (although knew he would be so just made sure he got into a good position goal side). Those events aren't mutually exclusive with us winning the game, we won in-spite of those things. And Dier and Alderweireld played pretty well overall - they coped with Burnley's front two better than many sides will.

Each to their own, we all see things differently. For me a player in space with ball just means those without the ball have less space, why pass it to them to lose it.
Burnley very effectively shad our front three for 70 mins, we played the waiting game and it paid off.
If a wide player receives the ball in a reasonably advanced position there is often a ball on in behind the centre halves for one of our forwards to get on the end of (and there were 4 or 5 occasions yesterday when this was certainly the case). Taking several seconds to deliver that ball so that you get closed down and the pass is blocked is poor play.

Yeah probably. I remember him and Carragher having a proper argument about it and Carragher was acting like a pure fan saying “he just has to back Pochettino, he has to give him the players he wants to challenge” whereas Neville could see that there’s a commercial reality in football and Levy was making sure he was doing what he was doing in a sustainable way.

Did see Pool are after Oblak the Turkish CB from Shalke.. the one that go is on a ban for spitting

Both our fullbacks were pretty rubbish, Dier did make a bad mistake and Alderweireld was beaten for pace by Wood frequently (although knew he would be so just made sure he got into a good position goal side). Those events aren't mutually exclusive with us winning the game, we won in-spite of those things. And Dier and Alderweireld played pretty well overall - they coped with Burnley's front two better than many sides will.

The point I was trying to make was that the team performed well enough to get a result despite a few errors and still people are looking to be critical of individual players, it appears nothing is more important than looking for someone to dig at. We have only got two world class players and they make mistakes yet never a game goes by without one or two players getting hammered. I've said it before but it still needs saying these are the good times make the most of them and support the CLUB and TEAM not just favourite players we should be in this together.

It definitely wasn't a full wonky or the same as we did last season. Doherty played a lot deeper than Aurier was in that system last year but his average position was more advanced than Davies. Davies was playing a lot closer to Dier and Dier and Alderweireld shifted across during some passages of play. I think that we were trying to keep the three of them close out of possession to minimise the risk from Burnley's high balls.

He created the most chances in the game of any Spurs player despite having 33 minutes.

Against teams that tend to be physical he is just what you need, he disrupts any opposition play.

Is he a starter? Not against a fit Bale but he's making a strong argument against Lucas, Dele or Bergwijn (I'd probably just give the nod to Bergwijn).

Personally he and PEH in our midfield is brilliant after years of watching teams just kick the brick out of our players.

Watch yesterday after the elbow against Toby and Son being taken out with no yellow from ref, then Lamela returns the favor .. its a fudging message..

Sent from my SM-N960F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yeah like I said I was happy with his performance, some good passes with some strong tackles also. I would never question his work rate and desire which I have no doubt are some of the qualities we identified before we signed him. I do think we would have expected more from him in terms of goals and assists, chances created etc, he had a very good goal scoring record at Roma which I’m sure was one the main reasons why we signed him.

Yeah. I think Hinchcliffe was the co-commentator who seemed to just have a parade of niggling remarks to make against Spurs. It was odd, don't think I've noticed it from him before. The was praise given to a few individual players (Kane and Son) but very negative about the team. He seemed, from very early on, to have a phrase to throw in about 'Spurs need to be sharper'. Well yeah. But without acknowledgement of the shape and style that Dyche deployed to specifically prevent us being sharp, it was not exactly insightful stuff from a co-comm.
Hinchcliffe is a classic ex-90s pro who seems to follow the narrative of the plucky underdog working hard. They're desperate for the underdog victory that they then fall into confirmation bias in nearly everything they then say. It's not good journalism.

Back