1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

OMT - Spurs v Burnley

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Yiddo, 26 Oct 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 28 Oct 2020.
  1. Alderweireld

15.7%
  2. Dier

2.9%
  3. Doherty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hojbjerg

8.6%
  5. Kane

38.6%
  6. Lamela

14.3%
  7. Ndombele

15.7%
  8. Sissoko

4.3%
  9. Son

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Mitchell Thomas

Yeah probably. I remember him and Carragher having a proper argument about it and Carragher was acting like a pure fan saying “he just has to back Pochettino, he has to give him the players he wants to challenge” whereas Neville could see that there’s a commercial reality in football and Levy was making sure he was doing what he was doing in a sustainable way.

We all go a bit Carragher at times (minus the spitting at kids obviously) but Neville wiped the floor with him in that discussion for me.

Bedfordspurs and StephenH like this.
  2. StephenH

StephenH Barry Daines

Thought they were OK last night.
    Carragher is a prat but not so bad of late. I must be mellowing.
    Macmananaman really gets on my tits though.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  3. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Paul Robinson

The sound was off, so I can't be sure, but before our game it looked like Neville was cherry picking stats from the six games this season, to show how well Ole is doing, particularly if his first choice midfield aren't injured! Long may that continue.

4. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Paul Stalteri

I cant understand how we won this game after reading postings on here, both our fullbacks were rubbish, Alderweireld was frequently beaten for pace by Wood, Dier made a terrible mistake and was lucky and we created very little. Wish we were as good as we were against West Ham and got a point. When playing teams like Burnley you need an early goal to open up the game the longer it stays level or they take the lead the game just gets worse as far as any decent football being allowed by their cynical tactics.

JerusalemMan likes this.
  5. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Frederic Kanoute

I didn't notice that.... It looked like we played a standard 4 at the back to me and not the wonky type formation that Mourinho was favouring last season.

Pirate55 likes this.
  6. Finney Is Back

It wasn't about retaining possession it was about squandering the few occasions when we were attacking Burnley before they had got organised again. Our fullbacks were our players who had the most space on the pitch and we needed quality from them to capitalise on that, as intricate passing through the middle wasn't going to work due to Burnley being so well organised and having so many men there. On most occasions when our full backs received it in good positions we had at least 2 in the box only for the ball to be delivered far too slowly and/or with no quality.

7. Bishop

Bishop Neil Ruddock

Likewise, I saw him as just playing as an orthodox LB, he often had the ball in the middle third of the pitch. His distribution was rather poor but we already know he isn't on the same attacking level as Reguillion.

Finney Is Back and Pirate55 like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Neil Ruddock

They rarely got the ball early and in space. Far too often it bounced around the back and midfield before slowly making its way out to the wings. The few times they did get it in space they didn't use it well.

9. Finney Is Back

Interesting after all of the comments about Sissoko over the years that he's only playing because of this or that (nobody else available, shop window as we want to sell him, to save face after paying £30m for him, etc, etc - admittedly mostly coimng from Nayim* but still....) and here Sissoko is with one of the most successful managers ever picking him despite the likes of Lamela, Winks and Lo Celso on the bench.

Sissoko is limited in many ways but does give us a platform to play and that is important.

* Whatever happened to Nayim anyway?.... Despite my reasonably regular arguments with him I do miss his postings on here and while he was clearly very wrong on Sissoko, he could at least come back to me with a 'told you so' about Mourinho

10. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Frederic Kanoute

Each to their own, we all see things differently. For me a player in space with ball just means those without the ball have less space, why pass it to them to lose it.
    Burnley very effectively shad our front three for 70 mins, we played the waiting game and it paid off.

11. Finney Is Back

Both our fullbacks were pretty rubbish, Dier did make a bad mistake and Alderweireld was beaten for pace by Wood frequently (although knew he would be so just made sure he got into a good position goal side). Those events aren't mutually exclusive with us winning the game, we won in-spite of those things. And Dier and Alderweireld played pretty well overall - they coped with Burnley's front two better than many sides will.

Pirate55 and Bedfordspurs like this.
  12. Finney Is Back

If a wide player receives the ball in a reasonably advanced position there is often a ball on in behind the centre halves for one of our forwards to get on the end of (and there were 4 or 5 occasions yesterday when this was certainly the case). Taking several seconds to deliver that ball so that you get closed down and the pass is blocked is poor play.

Bullet, Pirate55 and Bishop like this.
  13. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Steed Malbranque

I thought Lamela sub was a turning point and.....Bale,s warm up on the touch line ..helped a bit..:D

14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Did see Pool are after Oblak the Turkish CB from Shalke.. the one that go is on a ban for spitting

15. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Steed Malbranque

Also hes kicking the ball straight at last..

awesome dawson likes this.
  16. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

To add to the Hugo comments, the couple of corners in the end where he came and caught the ball (not punching) took a lot of pressure off the defense.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

scaramanga likes this.
  17. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Paul Stalteri

The point I was trying to make was that the team performed well enough to get a result despite a few errors and still people are looking to be critical of individual players, it appears nothing is more important than looking for someone to dig at. We have only got two world class players and they make mistakes yet never a game goes by without one or two players getting hammered. I've said it before but it still needs saying these are the good times make the most of them and support the CLUB and TEAM not just favourite players we should be in this together.

Kandi1977 and glasgowspur like this.
  18. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

It definitely wasn't a full wonky or the same as we did last season. Doherty played a lot deeper than Aurier was in that system last year but his average position was more advanced than Davies. Davies was playing a lot closer to Dier and Dier and Alderweireld shifted across during some passages of play. I think that we were trying to keep the three of them close out of possession to minimise the risk from Burnley's high balls.

19. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Chris Jones

Yeah like I said I was happy with his performance, some good passes with some strong tackles also. I would never question his work rate and desire which I have no doubt are some of the qualities we identified before we signed him. I do think we would have expected more from him in terms of goals and assists, chances created etc, he had a very good goal scoring record at Roma which I’m sure was one the main reasons why we signed him.

20. GPRD81

GPRD81 Ben Thatcher

Hinchcliffe is a classic ex-90s pro who seems to follow the narrative of the plucky underdog working hard. They're desperate for the underdog victory that they then fall into confirmation bias in nearly everything they then say. It's not good journalism.