1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

OMT Spurs - Fulham

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Robbo, 29 Dec 2020.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

If his brief is mark space, cover for Aurier and then pass like a crab
    That may be the case
    As I’ve said it’s no coincidence that our best recent performance came when we had players on the pitch with a footballing intelligence he lacks

2. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Had to check but yeah that's fake news, post edited

3. billyiddo

You do not need to have two holding midfield players against weak opposition - at least not when one of them is as limited on the ball as Sissoko. Hojbjerg + Ndombele is perfect for the majority of games we play

SteveAWOL, Bishop and Bedfordspurs like this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

I assume they meant United and Southampton?
    Either way it’s a poor return
    Have to wonder what the half time message is
    We know what Jose tells us it is...

billyiddo likes this.
  5. Bedfordspurs

This
    This
    This
    Not that anyone is going to go back and watch the Leeds game but the difference in midfield was huge
    It was different first half yesterday too and people commented on how it looked positively

6. billyiddo

It can only be what the evidence suggests : tightenup, concede possession and limit attacks to counters and dont over commit.

He can say whatever he wants at full time - but he's either sending them out to play that way, like he done at Chelsea and United or he can't get his ideas across to the team - either way it's not sustainable and he either sorts it out quick-sharp or he jogs the fudge on

7. Bishop

Bishop Niko Kranjcar

They keep clean sheets because of both their attacking threat and quality use of the ball in possession. What they don't do is sit in a compressed low block after they've scored a solitary goal and play with no Intention of scoring again.

They are not cowards, we are.

8. Bishop

Bishop Niko Kranjcar

He's not a football player period.

9. billyiddo

You don't need your 3rd attacking player to be on the pitch for his defensive abilities either.

Honestly Sissoko in for Berwijn last night says all that needs to be said on the manager and what his philosophy is all about.

10. Bedfordspurs

I thought it would be an attacking diamond...
    As in Aurier outside of him rather than behind him
    We had that on the left... on the right it was just brick
    Scary thing is sissoko was signed as a right winger. It’s where he played for Newcastle yet we have converted him into a destroyer of football.
    Bergwein needs to up his goal return but his play with the ball is very good

11. billyiddo

We bought him off the back of the international tournament where he played as a box 2 box type iirc and was a last minute panic buy fall back option to missing out on Wijnaldum. I dont think he was signed to play RWF.

Bergwijn does need to up his productivity and yes he is good on the ball, but its telling that when he needed replacing in the XI that we put in a player whose strong points are all defensive - and left 4 attacking players capable of playing that role on the bench. The RWF position is there for defensive solidity first and foremost and above all else, that much is clear.

Finney Is Back likes this.
  12. LincsSpur

LincsSpur Fraizer Campbell

Yes it was annoying and avoidable and we’ve seen it before
    No argument from me on that

But you can’t blame Jose for the chances missed by players who should have done much better

I don’t think he’s forgotten what happened against West Ham and clearly doesn’t trust many of our players
    In certain cases I agree with him
    Sanchez
    Dier
    Aurier
    Winks
    Sissoko
    Lamela
    Bale
    Dele
    Etc

All need to be shipped out although I like Lamela and Sissoko’s attitude

Given what he’s got to work with I think Jose is doing well
    Chance of top four
    League cup final
    Progressing in the FA Cup
    Early qualification for the Europa

But it isn’t pretty on the eye sometimes I’ll give you that

Mikey10 likes this.
  13. Bedfordspurs

Not gonna attempt to argue the matter part as it’s right (although it’s not how I expected us to play and i do think we didn’t play that way first half)

I think we brought him off the back of his performances against us playing RW
    He done us damage twice home and and away and we couldn’t get near him. But again that’s just my opinion

Either way the guys a key squad player but shouldn’t be near starting against sides where we have the ball. And that’s a lot of sides in this league.

14. Bishop

Bishop Niko Kranjcar

But we can blame him for starting a match with Hojberg as DM yet still starting Winks AND Sissoko. That is actually inexcusable.

He should be starting Ndombele next to Hojberg but ok thats a little too attacking possession orientated for Mou. So ok play one of the Winks or Sissoko (preferably Winks). To still shoehorn Sissoko into the side to play RM is actually for me a sackable offence.

We can't afford to have so many mediocre players in the side.

15. LincsSpur

Agree you can’t play Winks and Sissoko together

Not too many options atm though

16. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Richard Gough

You're taking one game though.

Newcastle. West Ham. Crystal Palace. Wolves. Fulham.

Maybe West Ham was a freak result, but Newcastle, Palace, Wolves, Fulham, is a pattern. It's not an accident, it's the same story each time and sorry, that sits with Jose and no one else. He didn't learn after Newcastle. He didn't learn after Palace. Since then you'd have thought he would have made adjustments to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Instead, it happened against Wolves and now Fulham. THAT is on Jose. It's not one game.

90291Spur likes this.
  17. LincsSpur

Newcastle was daylight robbery and that pelanty against Dier would never be allowed now

Doubtless Jose makes mistakes and is still finding out things about his squad but as I’ve posted elsewhere his options are as limited as our squad

You hear commentators banging on about how deep our squad is

Laughable really
    Needs an overhaul

18. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

I don’t trust Ndombele to do the defensive side of that role yet, I don’t think Jose does either.

Lo Celso would be a better option imo but I’m happiest with Sissoko there to be honest.

19. billyiddo

If we didnt throw away points in the 2nd half of matches due to the managers tactics this squad of players would be close to, if not outright top of the table - doesn't strike me as one which needs much overhauling

20. Baleforce

Baleforce Bert Bliss

I agree the squad is fine.