• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Football Trivia

Baleforce

Ron Henry
I've seen a couple of things recently that made me think (in the words of Sir Alex) football, bloody hell.

They are completely irrelevant to Spurs right now but I still think there are some on here who may be interested, so, here's a couple to get us going,

On Eusebio's debut he had a penalty saved by Jose Mourinho's dad.

Cherno Samba only ever scored 2 senior goals.

David Moyes record away at Old Trafford, Emirates, Anfield, and Stamford Bridge: Played 48, won 0

Before his football career, Jimmy Greaves worked in a shoe repair shop for 25 years called "Jim'll Fix It"

Chelsea and Bradford City are the only two clubs to have joined the Football League without ever having kicked a ball in anger before.

Arsenal remain the only club to participate in the Top Flight of English Football without ever having earned their right to play there.

I knew Chelsea were created to play at Stamford Bridge (possibly at Spurs' expense). What's the story with Bradford City.? Also what about Liverpool? The were created as a bunch of Scottish mercenaries when Everton walked out on Anfield. Was there a delay before joining the Football League?

Arsenal did earn the right to play in the top flight at least once, just not the last time. Our election to the league, following the last minute resignation of Stoke, also raised a few eyebrows.

I knew Chelsea were created to play at Stamford Bridge (possibly at Spurs' expense). What's the story with Bradford City.? Also what about Liverpool? The were created as a bunch of Scottish mercenaries when Everton walked out on Anfield. Was there a delay before joining the Football League?

Arsenal did earn the right to play in the top flight at least once, just not the last time. Our election to the league, following the last minute resignation of Stoke, also raised a few eyebrows.

The Football League were keen to make inroads into Rugby League territory, which is why they accepted Bradford City as a League Club before they had ever played a match before.

Spurs were elected to the Football League in 1908 basically on the strength of our FA Cup win some seven years before - there was no automatic "promotion" from the Southern League, as the two competitions were fierce rivals at the time.

QPR, who were Southern League Champions in 1907-08 resigned from the SL, thinking they would be elected into the Football League instead of Spurs.

Spurs resigned from the Southern League and were not elected to the Football League. Bradford Park Avenue were elected. That left Spurs leagueless. Then fortunately Stoke suddenly resigned and they had another election, where Spurs were voted in.

Back