• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Miralem Pjanic

If the deal is right, then great. I just don't think that we should be spending a lot of money on players where there is no return.
A loan is fine - focus on the season in front of us.
But I agree about anything further - I'm a big pjanic fan, but there are some big question marks

If the deal is right, then great. I just don't think that we should be spending a lot of money on players where there is no return.
Agreed, has to make sense financially. But if it's mostly a question of wages that's not necessarily a big stumbling block.

Agreed, has to make sense financially. But if it's mostly a question of wages that's not necessarily a big stumbling block.
Wages are mega important.

If we sign each player for £Xm and sell him for the same £Xm then wages are the most important factor. Whether X is 0 or 100, wages are all that matter.

Wages are mega important.

If we sign each player for £Xm and sell him for the same £Xm then wages are the most important factor. Whether X is 0 or 100, wages are all that matter.
Agreed, for sure. And the main focus of our approach should be on players where those wages give us at least good chances of a longer term return, be it transfer fees or more importantly a quality player down the road.

There should be exceptions to that though. Pjanic for me might be one. But the finances would have to make sense.

Not as good as he once was, and we have Lo Celso and Ndombele now, so why spend any money on this geezer? Don't make sense to me.

Not as good as he once was, and we have Lo Celso and Ndombele now, so why spend any money on this geezer? Don't make sense to me.
If he's no longer good enough that's fair enough, I think that's difficult to judge. Most players in his role still has a couple of good years left at that age, but who knows.

I think he offers something a bit different to both Ndombele and Lo Celso. I think he could be a very good option.

If he's no longer good enough that's fair enough, I think that's difficult to judge. Most players in his role still has a couple of good years left at that age, but who knows.

I think he offers something a bit different to both Ndombele and Lo Celso. I think he could be a very good option.
I think he offers experience. What I want from a player in that position is for them to dictate the tempo of the game, know when to push and when to hold back. I've seen nothing of that from Ndombele -- he's just not that sort of player -- and, while I think Lo Celso may develop that ability, he's got a way to go. Pjanic, ironically enough, strikes me as the sort of player to bring on to calm things down when we're 1-0 up with 20 minutes left.

I think he offers experience. What I want from a player in that position is for them to dictate the tempo of the game, know when to push and when to hold back. I've seen nothing of that from Ndombele -- he's just not that sort of player -- and, while I think Lo Celso may develop that ability, he's got a way to go. Pjanic, ironically enough, strikes me as the sort of player to bring on to calm things down when we're 1-0 up with 20 minutes left.
Agreed. Ndombele and Lo Celso are both at their best when the first and even only thought when getting the ball is "how do I accelerate this attack". They're both great at it on their day at least.

Pjanic offers something very different. Something very useful. If he's good enough it would bring something to our club we've missed for a long time.

This may just be opportunistic (see my post in Spanish football thread), Barca seemingly need to just get people off wage bill.

He signed for Barca last year for 65m euros i think. And that's with a year left on his contract. So presumably he was at the top of his game just last year. Hard to believe his abilities have completely fallen of a cliff in that time. Definitely a good option to consider

He signed for Barca last year for 65m euros i think. And that's with a year left on his contract. So presumably he was at the top of his game just last year. Hard to believe his abilities have completely fallen of a cliff in that time. Definitely a good option to consider
It was a dodgy transfer where Barca and Juve sold each other players for way more than their actual values so that they could claim profits to offset their player amortisation losses to sneak in just the right side of the FFP line.

It was a dodgy transfer where Barca and Juve sold each other players for way more than their actual values so that they could claim profits to offset their player amortisation losses to sneak in just the right side of the FFP line.
Ok that makes sense. Hadn’t followed the details of the transfer. That’s craziness, how do they get away with stuff like that??

Ok that makes sense. Hadn’t followed the details of the transfer. That’s craziness, how do they get away with stuff like that??
Because the FFP rules are incredibly easy to circumnavigate (i.e. Emirates Marketing Project and PSG giving themselves hugely inflated in-house sponsorship deals). How do UEFA ever ascertain what is actually 'fair value'?

You are assuming UEFA cares or is in anyway legit?
The only thing that I am assuming is that it is impossible to enforce (because it is subjective). When Emirates Marketing Project put in their ludicrously high value Etihad sponsorship deal they claimed it was fair value as it was a similar size to Man Utd's sponsorship deal. When put to them that Man Utd have way more success and way more fans Emirates Marketing Project's response was that in 20 years time Emirates Marketing Project will be a far more successful club than Man Utd and our sponsors are willing to pay that premium now to get in at the start of that.

As I said before, these things are impossible to police as valuations on anything are entirely subjective. I mean we paid £42 million for Davinson Sanchez for GHod sake!

Back