• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Memphis Depay

The whole 8 out of 10 shirts have Messi's name on is a misnomer IMO. If he left Barcelona then I imagine fans buying the shirt would just get one with the next best player's name on.

Possibly. But would as many people travel to barca to watch a game if messi isn't playing? You've seen how many koreans come to spurs games just to watch son. Each buys some merch in the store. Then you have sponsors, they wont pay barca as much if they don't have possibly the greatest player who ever lived playing for them. Also without ronaldo and messi will people pay as much for tv rights for la liga? Lastly what he brings on the pitch. A large part of barcas success has been due to messi in the last few years. Messi leaving this summer would hurt barca a lot and there is nobody i can see they can replace him with, especially with the financial difficulties they have.

Possibly. But would as many people travel to barca to watch a game if messi isn't playing? You've seen how many koreans come to spurs games just to watch son. Each buys some merch in the store. Then you have sponsors, they wont pay barca as much if they don't have possibly the greatest player who ever lived playing for them. Also without ronaldo and messi will people pay as much for tv rights for la liga? Lastly what he brings on the pitch. A large part of barcas success has been due to messi in the last few years. Messi leaving this summer would hurt barca a lot and there is nobody i can see they can replace him with, especially with the financial difficulties they have.

Barca is a huge club mate, iconic brand, easily top 5 in the world in a city with a huge number of tourists per year, they will never have problems selling seats.

Re the revenue, you are assuming Messi wouldn't be replaced by another top level star.

That's the math that needs to be run
- Messi cost (outrageous)
- Any monetary advantage he brings (I really can't see it being 30%, some combination of that is him +Barca)
- What monetary attraction replacement would bring (e.g. a Naymar/Mbappe)
- Gap between the two

e.g. I could easily see you bringing in a top level player for a third of Messi's cost, and even if that meant when you did the gap analysis you lost 50% of that messi related revenue, you would likely still be ahead.

Barca has fallen into the trap of letting a player be bigger than the club ..

Yes, I think people travel to see Barcelona, not Messi. A good comparison for sponsorship revenues would be to look whether Real Madrid's sponsorship revenue dropped off by a huge amount once Ronaldo left. He is just as marketable as a player (probably more so in fact).

Yes, I think people travel to see Barcelona, not Messi. A good comparison for sponsorship revenues would be to look whether Real Madrid's sponsorship revenue dropped off by a huge amount once Ronaldo left. He is just as marketable as a player (probably more so in fact).
Not sure how much Madrid’s commercial earnings were affected by selling Ronaldo but Juventus doubled their sponsorship income after recruiting him.

Last edited:
Two good goals for Holland against Scotland. His talent isn’t even questionable, it’s just how well he fits into a system. His free kick late in the game to equalise was unstoppable even though it flew in about a metre from the keeper.

Can't read anything about this guy without hearing this great tune running through my head. Perfect song for transfer deadline day drama.

Back