1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Edwards

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by SpurMeUp, 25 Jul 2016.

1. SpurSF

SpurSF Stephen Clemence

Overhyping our youngsters is obviously stupid, but so is writing off a 17 year-old after 25 minutes in a pre-season game. There are a lot of people who have been watching his youth games who rate him highly, and I think it's OK to be excited about a promising player who is coming through our academy.

Sure, he needs to get stronger and more physical, but that can be taught and developed. His close control looks exceptional for any player, let alone a 17 year-old, and from what I've read, it seems he has a real knack for finding pockets of space and making the right passes and dribbles to break a defense's shape. Those are things that are much, much harder to teach. As Poch said himself, he is a very talented player who obviously has a really long way to go, but instead of tearing him down and picking him apart, why not give him the chance to develop and see what he could become?

The same goes for all of our academy players. They are by far my favorite part of watching Spurs, and some of the abuse they get is way over the top, IMO.

Gazzasrightboot, Daisuk, milo and 4 others like this.
  2. RunTMC

RunTMC Michael Brown

Similar height to the likes of Lennon and Shaun Wright Philips who forged decent EPL careers.

He's only 17 and has plenty of time to get physically stronger over the next 4 or 5 years. A growth spurt wouldn't go amiss too over that time period! ;)

I'm not worried at all that he's getting knocked off the ball easily atm, i'm also not worried about going down blind alleys. Both of these can be rectified.

Great talent and potential. Coming through at the right time too with Poch at the helm. Glad Poch is preaching caution with regards to his development.

3. Rorschach

Rorschach Garth Crooks

He needs it. Little guys can get by in the PL but a few inches on where he is now would help him a huge amount. Anyone got the number for Messi's growth hormone dealer?

4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steve Sedgley

I'm Genuinely surprised at the comments about his strength and size... He is 17!!! He probably has only had hair on his balls for 4 years and were expecting him to physically hold his own against grown men

This season for him is a case of getting kicked up in the air and taking those knocks so that when he is more developed physically he will have the nouse to play along with the skill

Just look at photos of Kane at 18 and now to see the difference when someone actually becomes a real man

5. 90291Spur

90291Spur Pedro Mendes

Why would you not judge a 17 year old playing a few minutes of his first senior game? Seems like we have enough information to chart his career trajectory and say he's only going to be good enough for the Norwegian Second Tier.

thfcsteff likes this.
  6. 90291Spur

90291Spur Pedro Mendes

7. Nigeyman

Nigeyman Jermaine Jenas

What do you think this is fking hide and seek
    I think he will be better than Jason Dozzell was.

Gazzasrightboot likes this.
  8. 90291Spur

90291Spur Pedro Mendes

You sir, are a brave man.

9. mjc23

mjc23 Goran Bunjevcevic

Gazzasrightboot and 90291Spur like this.
  10. Robbo

Robbo Frederic Kanoute

Great to have him signed - while he looked like he still has a long way to go (from the friendly game highlights) before he could be a first team regular, he's undoubtedly a big talent who could be a great player one day. All based on random video highlights and internet praise, of course. But he does look like he has something special about him.

Gazzasrightboot likes this.
  11. Gazza

Gazza Dean Austin

What looks special about him? I'm intrigued

12. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Steve Carr

With luck won't be long before we'll be singing -

He's one of our own, he's one of our own
    Marcus Edwards, he's one of our own.

13. Spur of the moment

Excellent close control, impressive dribbling skills, potentially exceptional vision.

14. Pandy

Pandy Ramon Vega

We are going to have to come up with some more generic youth songs before long. This one is getting worn out!

Or.. you know.. invent songs for players :eek::oops:

Spur of the moment likes this.
  15. Bullet

Bullet Paul Walsh

Have you been living in a bucket under the stairs all summer?!

16. metalgear

metalgear Christian Ziege

Overhyping players is what fans do but unless its intrusive as large scale public jeering, i dont think conversations between fans could change their destiny much. How hard they train, performances in front of the coach, those stuff matter much more.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

17. Gazza

Gazza Dean Austin

It was on my bucket list of things to do

Rorschach likes this.
  18. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Dimitar Berbatov

His hair cut/colour

Nigeyman and 90291Spur like this.
  19. tw12yid

tw12yid Bobby Zamora

If it's his physical ability most likely to hold him
    Back will be interesting to see
    How they develop him. I reckon a loan in the 2nd half of the season for a month or two wouldn't go a miss. It will give him a better understanding of playing senior football. His skill level is surely good enough for someone in league one/two to take him for a bit.

20. Spur of the moment

He'll have chunks taken out of him in Leagues 1/2.