• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

Re: The end of Aaron Lennon

Lennon is a very useful player to have. Can play left or right, quick, can beat a man, very hard working, great defensive abilities. Whether he's a starter or not, he's still an important player to our squad in my view.

a fantastic player to have in our squad regardless of whether he is first choice or not

Don't see the point in selling him if he's willing to stay. Still a good player and imagine him coming on as an impact sub.

We'll hopefully play a lot of games this season and we'll need to fully utilise the squad. I also suspect that we'll move away from a rigid starting eleven this season and move to more rotation.

I also don't want to completely lose our English spine.

I like Lennon and his defensive work is very underrated.

But like the demise of 4-4-2 was a blow for forwards who can't play the lone role like Defoe, the emergence of inverted wingers/wing forwards has made touchline huggers like Lennon to a large extent redundant.

Disagree to some extent at least.

Ferguson seemed happy enough with Valencia and played him plenty. One of the first things Pellegrini did at City was to bring in Navas. Dortmund have Kuba who at least can play as an out and out winger although he can also play other roles. Spain obviously use Navas in that right wing role as well.

Yes those players are probably all better than Lennon (not looking for that discussion), but the option of an out and out winger is still very useful to have.

---------------------------------

Lennon had 33 starts last season, in our point record breaking season. I don't think he's as useless as his harshest critics make out. 7 assists and 4 goals (whoscored) in those games is quite alright, especially for a winger that just about never takes a set piece. By comparison Navas got 6 assists and no goals last season for Sevilla.

Also worth noting that quite a few top managers at top clubs have some very hard working players in their squads that they turn to for big games (and small), dependable and reliable players that will do the job defensively, do alright going forward and occasionally pop up with something special. It's not only the defensive midfielders that allow the attacking midfielders the freedom to play, sometimes it's also the other attacking players.

I would be very surprised if we sold him at this point.

The Dawson situation suggests AVB can have his mind changed by performance and/or expedience.

Or it shows that AVB realised he had made a mistake with Caulker, hence selling him this Summer. With Kaboul returning from injury and us signing another new centre half, Dawson will almost certainly drop to 4th in centre half pecking order. As loyal as he is, I don't think he'll be a Spurs player for much longer.

Dawson has become a key player and continues to be captain.
We dont know what happened with Ekotto.
Huddlestone just didn't fit.

Lennon is a very useful player to have. Can play left or right, quick, can beat a man, very hard working, great defensive abilities. Whether he's a starter or not, he's still an important player to our squad in my view.

He is in the team because AVB had no choice. Speaking of Captaincy, did it ever become established why Kaboul was Captain last week? Is he the club Captain now?

He is in the team because AVB had no choice. Speaking of Captaincy, did it ever become established why Kaboul was Captain last week? Is he the club Captain now?

He could quite easily of replaced him. He wanted rid and he's now suddenly become one of the focal figures of the team and continues to be captain.

The reason Kaboul was captain was a sort of reward for him after coming back from injury and starting.

He could quite easily of replaced him. He wanted rid and he's now suddenly become one of the focal figures of the team and continues to be captain.

The reason Kaboul was captain was a sort of reward for him after coming back from injury and starting.

Dawson won't be a first team regular by November. You can hold me to that. In fact I don't think he will be for October either, but that depends on injury recovery.

Was the Kaboul captaincy reason officially confirmed or is that just your hunch?

Dawson won't be a first team regular by November. You can hold me to that. In fact I don't think he will be for October either, but that depends on injury recovery.

Was the Kaboul captaincy reason officially confirmed or is that just your hunch?

I believe AVB came out and said that as the press kept asking him why

I believe AVB came out and said that as the press kept asking him why

I haven't been able to find any quotes, and I've been searching for days. Guess we'll find out when Kaboul is deemed ready to start in the Premiership, although I think he'll be partnering Vertonghen anyway so even if Dawson is still club captain he obviously wouldn't be wearing the arm band for those matches.

I dont see him kicking up any kind of fuss if he's not playing. I see him as enjoying being a footballer and all that comes with it, but not having any real ambition to better himself or win trophies. I've seen him sitting on the bench laughing away with whoever was next to him while I'm biting my nails.

Or it shows that AVB realised he had made a mistake with Caulker, hence selling him this Summer. With Kaboul returning from injury and us signing another new centre half, Dawson will almost certainly drop to 4th in centre half pecking order. As loyal as he is, I don't think he'll be a Spurs player for much longer.

I don't believe there would be a 4th choice as such - two cb positions and different roles for each - so in effect at worst Daws would be second choice for one of those slots. At the moment he's playing well and Kaboul will have good competition should he manage to get back in the starting XI

I can't think of a better player to bring on in the last 15-20 minutes of a game when you need to create a goal. Especially as the way we play at the moment we're going to wear teams down, so if we can't brake through then Lennon can come on and has the pace and ability to make a difference. If you've been chasing our midfield round all game and you're shattered, the last player you want to see come on is Lennon. He's still a great asset and definitely one to keep. We should be aiming for 2 players in each position, and I mean 2 good players not 1 good one and one that we really don't want to be using.

Also, we tailed off at the back end of last season, and the season before. I suspect in large part due to not being able to rest our best players. If Lamela/Chadli, plays for most of the season and looks shot then we have an ideal backup in Lennon, either that or we can rotate them as opposition dictates and keep Lamela/Chadli/Townsend/Lennon all fresh for when we need them most.

I don't believe there would be a 4th choice as such - two cb positions and different roles for each - so in effect at worst Daws would be second choice for one of those slots. At the moment he's playing well and Kaboul will have good competition should he manage to get back in the starting XI

AVB doesn't squad rotate that much, so I think he'll have a much more stable back four this season.

That doesn't change the point of my post

I also don't believe that there will be two different types of centre halves under AVB. He needs his centre halves fast and / or ball players. The classic old style British put your head through a brick wall to get the ball sort of defender is not part of AVB's masterplan and defenders such as these will be moved on as soon as possible.

It was a one-off in recognition of his hard work fighting back from injury. Dawson captained again against Swansea as normal.

It was a one-off in recognition of his hard work fighting back from injury. Dawson captained again against Swansea as normal.

Can you point me to a link to prove this? Kaboul didn't start against Swansea, which was a shame because I really wanted to find out what will happen the next time they partner each other again, especially in a Premiership game.

Back