• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

The thing I've never quite understood was that there was something about Onomah that mean Poch gave him a lot of pitch time considering his age, so he must have been showing some outstanding attitude or ability in training with our first team but from what I saw of him (admittedly in attacking midfield roles) I saw nothing in attitude or ability that made me think he would even be a squad player for us.

Like all the Academy boys I so wanted Josh to succeed but he didn't show enough for me. Let's hope Poch can reinvigorate his career.

It is a shame he is not fit now during our midfield injury crisis. He might have got a run out at CM.

I think that it is his only chance of making it with us. If we don't recall him and he gets, and takes, a chance with us in the second half of the season. He'll be off to the Championship in the summer.

Also I imagine Sissoko's physical performance stats are fairly impressive. He seems to have exceptional athleticism. Poch seems to like "busy" players. Winks and Skipp are similar in that way. I am not sure whether Onomah is that type of player or not, but what I've seen suggests possibly not.

I note that Poch never seemed to deploy Josh in his preferred central midfield position which does not bring out the best in him. Lets face it Walker-Peters looks a much better right back than he does at left back.

I note that Poch never seemed to deploy Josh in his preferred central midfield position which does not bring out the best in him. Lets face it Walker-Peters looks a much better right back than he does at left back.

KWP looks better at LW than Onomah does not in CM.

I think its pretty damning of the player that he needs to play in his special favourite position to look any good.

As noted in the thread, players have come in in "other" positions and still looked like they belonged and had the ability.

Onomah never has, and frankly the idea its because he doesnt get to play in his preferred slot really grates on me. Its flimflam.

I would say CM is one of the hardest positions to excel in though, not many people do it at a young age.

The thing I've never quite understood was that there was something about Onomah that mean Poch gave him a lot of pitch time considering his age, so he must have been showing some outstanding attitude or ability in training with our first team but from what I saw of him (admittedly in attacking midfield roles) I saw nothing in attitude or ability that made me think he would even be a squad player for us.

Pretty much spot on.

He was part of the U20 WC winning squad as well, so he has something.

I don’t think he will ever be at the level we need, he’s not really setting the Championship on fire when he’s played (scored more than Grealish last season still)

Maybe a perm move away is what he needs.

Pretty much spot on.

He was part of the U20 WC winning squad as well, so he has something.

I don’t think he will ever be at the level we need, he’s not really setting the Championship on fire when he’s played (scored more than Grealish last season still)

Maybe a perm move away is what he needs.

Kane didn’t tear up the championship either although at Millwall he did well

I still think some players only shine with better ones and he hasn’t had that luxury in his loans

KWP looks better at LW than Onomah does not in CM.

I think its pretty damning of the player that he needs to play in his special favourite position to look any good.

Do you mean like how Kante looks like one of the best defensive midfielder players in the world when deployed in his "natural" position in front of the back 4 in two title winning teams but currently looks like an average player now he is being deployed on the right in midfield

Last edited:
Kane didn’t tear up the championship either although at Millwall he did well

I still think some players only shine with better ones and he hasn’t had that luxury in his loans

He actually did well at Millwall, and they loved him. One of his better loans.

DO you mean like how Kante looks like one of the best defensive midfielder players in the world when deployed in his "natural" position in front of the back 4 in two title winning teams but currently looks live an average player now he is being deployed on the right in midfield

Kante, even out of position, looks like he belongs in the team. Thats the point.

Onomah simply never has. KWP, with much less experience, plays on his opposite flank and looks good enough for the team.

Onomah, or his fan club at least, all just whine at the injustice of him being given many opportunities to look the part but none of them are in his super special position.

Oh what a crime! If only we gave him, for no reason whatsoever (because he hasnt earned it) a start in CM, THEN he'll suddenly be amazing and show everyone!!

I still think the importance of physicality in his game is the key (and not being able to dominate against adults yet, like he does against his peers).

I think Dembele is the key point of comparison. At Onomah's age, Dembele was still a middling winger in the Dutch league.

I still think the importance of physicality in his game is the key (and not being able to dominate against adults yet, like he does against his peers).

I think Dembele is the key point of comparison. At Onomah's age, Dembele was still a middling winger in the Dutch league.

I should reiterate - and Ive said many times - I dont think he has any/many failings "technically".

I think his issues are in his attitude/mentality/beleif.

He is big enough and strong enough, he has the technique, he has ability. I dont doubt it.

What he has never done, that Ive seen at least, is EVER look like he believes he belongs. And that is the key ingredient.

The one Winks has, Sanchez, Skipp, KWP - these young players (all younger than Onomah?) all came in and looked like they knew they should be there.

I should reiterate - and Ive said many times - I dont think he has any/many failings "technically".

I think his issues are in his attitude/meteorology/beleif.

He is big enough and strong enough, he has the technique, he has ability. I dont doubt it.

What he has never done, that Ive seen at least, is EVER look like he believes he belongs. And that is the key ingredient.

The one Winks has, Sanchez, Skipp, KWP - these young players (all younger than Onomah?) all came in and looked like they knew they should be there.

Do you think Roy Keane at 21 could have gone toe-to-toe with a 29 year old Patrick Vieria? Or vice-versa. Roy Keane at 21 was a skinny flush faced kid at Forest getting dominated by the likes of Paul Stewart and David Howells in the cup final.

Winks, Sanchez, Skipp and KWP are different type players. None are physical powerhouses - their attributes are more technical or down to pace.

Do you think Roy Keane at 21 could have gone toe-to-toe with a 29 year old Patrick Vieria? Or vice-versa. Roy Keane at 21 was a skinny flush faced kid at Forest getting dominated by the likes of Paul Stewart and David Howells in the cup final.

Winks, Sanchez, Skipp and KWP are different type players. None are physical powerhouses - their attributes are more technical or down to pace.

You are putting far to much stock in this notion of physical power.

Roy Keane played in an entirely different era.

Midfield today is about technique, awareness, and stamina before its about outright strength and power.

Onomah is physically able, has the technique - but IMO not the balls

You are putting far to much stock in this notion of physical power.

Roy Keane played in an entirely different era.

Midfield today is about technique, awareness, and stamina before its about outright strength and power.

Onomah is physically able, has the technique - but IMO not the balls

But Onomah's biggest attribute is doing the Dembele thing - holding off 2 or 3 players and break the line from CM to AM. He absolutely bosses U21 games doing that. But at adult level It's like seeing a pacy winger play but before their pace develops (which obviously in human body development doesn't work that way; but with strength it does)

It's not just a 90s/00s thing - Pogba was crap when he was young too, but those with foresight understood that it would come together when he got his strength

Pogba was not crap when he was young, what are you talking about? SAF was gutted to see him go and Juve pounced on him - how on earth was he "crap"?

Onomah isnt a precious flower, he is not tinkle weak and infirm. He is tall, agile and strong now. Even if he isnt as strong as Dembele.

He has ability. He has stamina. He has enough to be able to show he has what it takes.

Skipp looks like a little boy FFS and he gets a game, not to mention the enormous frame of Winks anchoring our midfield, it is simply not an excuse for Onomah.

If he really is a player that can only look remotely decent in one specific position, once he has bulked up, then be honest with yourself about what that says about him.

More likely, he is perfectly able to play, save for that limiting factor between the ears.

But Onomah's biggest attribute is doing the Dembele thing - holding off 2 or 3 players and break the line from CM to AM. He absolutely bosses U21 games doing that. But at adult level It's like seeing a pacy winger play but before their pace develops (which obviously in human body development doesn't work that way; but with strength it does)

It's not just a 90s/00s thing - Pogba was crap when he was young too, but those with foresight understood that it would come together when he got his strength
Like Nayim says he hasnt demonstrated he has the attitude to be a success here. Maybe he has enough ability to to do it somewhere else, but doesnt appear he fits in with Pochs' ethos. Why do you think he is constantly loaned out yet the likes of Winks, KWP, Skipp are preferred to stay in our squad to develop and get game time here? I hazard a guess its because they have a much better attitude than Onomah - something whether you like it or not Poch places great emphasis on.....

Mentality aside, I don't even think he has much ability tbh. Certainly didn't show anything whenever he got a chance in the first team with us. I see nothing more than an average, anonymous player.

Back