• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

That's the impression I get when I hear stuff like that. I get bored at work too, but I still do it to the best of my ability. Getting a new boss might alter a few things, but I would still have to do basically the same job.
There's no doubt that the vast majority of players today are spoiled brats, that live off the fame and money. The get too much money too fast these days.

For me, they are not at work, they are at school, if they are getting the same lesson over and over again it’s because they’ve not taken it in.

You want to move on to something new, prove you have mastered the last thing.

Last edited:
Lol. The more I see these posts, the more I dislike the players at the club. Too boring, not enough intensity. Lol. I am sure they all have their coaching badges and majority have surely won a trophy at club level recently
Modern players are hot-house flowers who need specific care and treatment. We might want them to be like Dave Mackay or Steve Perryman or Gary Mabbutt, and buckle down and do their highly-paid privileged job, but they're not. And The Special Gone was not the man to take care of them ,as evidenced by this season.

Disclaimer: I'm gonna say something about Poch now, not to do some kind of comparison or whataboutism, but to make a point about the squad.

18 months ago we heard similar noises regarding Poch's training sessions being boring, maybe these players just don't want to do any work?
They're also complaining about the lack of intensity, that says they want to work harder. You can take what you want out of those articles to suit whatever argument you want.

Disclaimer: I'm gonna say something about Poch now, not to do some kind of comparison or whataboutism, but to make a point about the squad.

18 months ago we heard similar noises regarding Poch's training sessions being boring, maybe these players just don't want to do any work?

So what we have is s ome players who complained about Pochs training sessions being too hard and now we had s ome players complaining that the training under Jose was boring. Funny that a lot of those players were here under both managers. I really hope that whoever the new manager is going to be he gets rid of the same players who have helped get both Poch and Jose sacked. Wasters who have got them both sacked.

The dressing room was increasingly divided. There were more experienced players such as Kane, Hojbjerg and Lucas Moura, who responded well to the manager and who continued to perform even when results were falling apart in the last few months. Kane, sources say, would have run through a brick wall for Mourinho, right up to the end. That much was apparent from his two-goal performances this month against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Everton. On both occasions, the England captain tried to win the game single-handedly, and nearly pulled it off.

Mourinho Tottenham first anniversary analysis
Kane performed brilliantly under Mourinho, right until the end (Photo: Bradley Collyer/EMPICS/PA Images via Getty Images)
At the same time, more and more players were alienated by Mourinho’s behaviour. And it was not just Dele and Harry Winks, who were the two who found their playing time most cut down this season.

The performances of almost the whole team from January onwards, especially in three straight defeats to Liverpool, Brighton and Chelsea, spoke of a dressing room which had been sapped of confidence and belief by the manager’s attacks. All of the unity of the Pochettino era had been shattered.

“Four or five players absolutely hate him, four or five like him, four or five just aren’t arsed,” said another club source earlier this month. “He just splits the camp, because of what he says and how he says it.”

It was not only the dressing room who were unhappy with the way Mourinho spoke to and about the players. That dissatisfaction extended to the club as well.

Tottenham knew how much damage Mourinho was doing through his comments. Staff had been left embarrassed by how he would talk to the squad. Players such as Doherty had found their confidence shattered by the way the manager would criticise them. And while the club had told Mourinho to stop hammering the players after games, it did not always make a difference.

When Spurs went to the London Stadium to face West Ham United on February 21, they lost yet again. Mourinho again turned the blame away from himself. “I think for a long, long time,” he said in his BBC interview after the game, “we have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach.” Mourinho knew better than to repeat those words in his post-match press conference but yet again the players knew that their manager thought it was their fault and not his.

Mourinho was not universally unpopular. A couple of the club’s younger players, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett, regularly trained with the first team and felt encouraged by the manager’s approach. Mourinho stopped by at the medical when Devine joined from Wigan Athletic ahead of this season. When the midfielder clashed with Chelsea’s Danny Drinkwater, an England international and Premier League title winner, in an under-23s game in December, Mourinho subsequently sought Devine out to praise his character and courage to go up against such a high-profile opponent.
There was a brief upturn in results in late February and early March when a series of easier fixtures — and the return of Bale to the first team — offered a sense that things were improving and Tottenham might be able to leave the misery of the winter behind them. But that all evaporated in Croatia on March 18.

Tottenham’s 3-0 defeat to Dinamo Zagreb in the second leg of a Europa League last 16 tie will go down as the nadir of the Mourinho reign but in many ways it was not a surprise. Tottenham froze under pressure, looked clueless as to whether they should attack or defend and ended up losing the game, and being eliminated, in extra time. It was one of the most humiliating defeats of Mourinho’s whole career.

Predictably enough, he insisted afterwards that he had prepared his players the right way, and that he had told them to try to win the game on the night rather than sitting on their 2-0 first-leg lead. He even detailed how he had shown his players goals scored by Mislav Orsic, who scored a hat-trick, to prove he had not been caught off guard, even if his players had been.

Worse was to come when Hugo Lloris, the long-standing club captain, and a man who chooses his words carefully, revealed the problems and divisions inside the camp in a post-match TV interview. Speaking of a “lack of basics and lack of fundamentals” at the club, goalkeeper Lloris implored his team-mates to “follow the way of the team”. When the players returned to London to prepare for their weekend game away to Aston Villa, sources say the atmosphere at the club was “horrendous”.

By this point, Mourinho had few allies left at Tottenham. Not only had he fallen out with the players but, according to multiple sources, many colleagues had been put off by his negative mood and demeanour. More than one source drew a contrast between the approach of Pochettino, who tried to create an inclusive environment and Mourinho, who essentially retreated into his bunker in the final months.

As results turned against him, Mourinho found almost no one was left on his side. “You always know what you’re going to get with Mourinho,” said one former colleague. “But it is still very unpleasant when you do get it.”

When things are going against Mourinho, he likes to fall back on the grand gesture. Having seemingly exhausted the avenue of criticising the players for a response, the only lever he had left to pull was team selection. So when Spurs went to Villa Park three days after Zagreb and just before the March international break, he picked one of his most surprising teams of the season, bringing back Joe Rodon, Japhet Tanganga, Lo Celso and Vinicius.

Tottenham looked shaky at first but managed to win 2-0. But when Mourinho tried to pick the same team for the trip to St James’ Park as Spurs season resumed after last month’s internationals, he could not reproduce the same shock effect. The players were increasingly inured to Mourinho’s tactics. He could keep trying to shock them but it was no longer having any impact. After seeing his team concede yet another late equaliser to draw 2-2 with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Mourinho made his last but deepest attack on his own team, telling the BBC the difference between now and the defensive stability of his early years was a case of “same coach, different players”.

When another second-half collapse saw Tottenham beaten 3-1 by Manchester United a week later, Mourinho complained about how he was constrained, and no longer able to say what he really thought. “I can’t say what I think,” he said. “You know that. You sometimes want to bring me to deep questions, to deep analysis, but then when I go, I realise that I cannot go.”

In his final pre-game press conference ahead of Friday’s trip to Goodison Park, Mourinho boasted about how “after the (United) game you did not get from me one single negative word about the attitude and the commitment of my players.”

The message from the club had finally got through to him, but too late to save his job.

When Mourinho was unveiled as Tottenham manager in November 2019, he predicted that his team would be able to win the title in the 2020-21 season. But he also issued a warning, one that was to effectively predict his eventual failure. Mourinho argued that modern football is changing faster than ever before, that players are becoming more powerful, and that coaches have to adapt to that.

“It’s modern football,” he said. “When my father was a player, before the Bosman law, the players used to play 20 years in the same club. The same player next to him, the same guy in the dressing room, the same centre-back in front of the keeper, for 15, 20 years. After the Bosman law, everything changed. In relation to us coaches, in some parts because of you (the media), we lost that stability, it’s lots of pressure.

“Even for the nature of society now, it looks like everything is fast, even the relationships are fast. Players can get tired of each other, they can get tired of the manager. Everything looks like it’s faster, so we need to change.”

The story of Mourinho’s career is that he enjoyed great success in his first decade, working with a generation of players who have now all retired: Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Wesley Sneijder, Diego Milito and the rest. But the next generation of players — the millennials and Gen Z players — simply do not react well to his methods.

Players complained of a lack of attacking plan (Photo: Neil Hall – by Pool/Getty Images)
That was true at Real Madrid, where he won the league but fell badly out with the dressing room. That was true back at Chelsea, where again he won the title before his reign collapsed in the third season amid what Michael Emenalo called “palpable discord”.

And it was certainly true at Manchester United, where Mourinho was not able to get through to Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial and the rest. His time at Manchester United was not a complete failure — he won a League Cup and a Europa League — but he was not able to compete with Emirates Marketing Project, and he left another toxic mess behind him at Old Trafford, with the fans at odds with the players. Pogba’s comments to Sky Sports last week show how much more the United players enjoy playing for Solskjaer than for Mourinho.

“I like Jose, but he is disconnected from the new generation of players, and from the new generation of coaches,” says one leading coach. “But he is stuck in his ways.”

At Tottenham, Mourinho ultimately found himself trapped in the same dynamic. His methods only produced a brief upturn in form — not long enough to win anything — before they started to alienate the rest of the dressing room. The players did not like being talked to as Mourinho talked to them, they did not enjoy self.

One thing I take from all of that, Harry Kane is too nice.

We'll all read that article and take what we want from it but the stuff on the tactical approaches to games and the focus in training to be mostly on what the opposition will be doing dovetails with what we have seen played out on the pitch during his time here imo - personally i don't think that approach can succeed in football atm, other clubs all have data analysts now and opposition scouts etc so everyone knows where the opposition can hurt you - it's what you can do to hurt the opposition that is important and thats something that in a competitive league requires coaching, especially when you don't have the biggest budget.

What i don't recall seeing mentioned on here before is that we are the first club Jose has managed withot his long serving assistant Rui Faria (sp?) - potentially he may have been a key part of Mourinho getting his ideas across to his players over the years
Wasn't Faria discussed in a recent podcast?

Sounds like Mourinho's decline has coincided with his Porto assistants leaving his side over the years.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/king-appointed-assistant-at-tottenham-and-formosinho-leaves

For me, they are not at work, they are at school, if they are getting the same lesson over and over again it’s because they’ve not taken it in.

You want to move on to something new, prove you have mastered the last thing.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein. And obviously Einstein has never won a single trophy as a football manager, but he was a clever bastard.

Founding member = no relegation from esl = we can continue with crap players for ££££££ and frequent manager rotation to entertain fans
My immediate thoughts - Wow. Thanks Jose for the times and memories. I think this is double edged. A lot of the fans do not agree with the Club's insistence on joining the European Super League. I for one will stop supporting Spurs and Inter if this occurs. Also Daniel - are you fvcking dumb? This is how many days to the bloody league cup final! Your chance to add a second trophy during your time as chairman!! You went and backed the crap players over the manager!!

Spurs fans - we are about to go through a painful rebuilding process and it wont take one season.

Daniel Levy - you have ignored hints from two managers about the quality of this squad - One whose skill was building players and the other whose skill was delivering trophies with close to ready-made players. Time will tell if your move is worth it for the club.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I agree totally with your ideals, but I was just trying to point out that many of our followers wanted trophies and were not so concerned with style. As I've said many times I want to be entertained and see our players do extraordinary things, I accept we may not win the league or cups. People cant come to terms with the fact there are only 4 throphies that can be won and given our current squad and resources we have only a chance of winning one of the lesser ones and then only if we focus totally on that. I would have thought our current manager would have installed a more killer instinct in the team but it appears either him or players cant do it, hopefully whatever changes that are made give thought of us who want a more pleasing to the eye style their wish even if it doesnt allow us to believe we've won sometime.

Indeed.

It is all so tricky.

I believe in our identity as a football club yet am resigned to the steamroller of moneyball. Weird days.

I am -predictably- delighted.

I think he was toxic.

I think it is fair to say that this onion has many layers and he is not the only person responsible for our poor performances, but he is the main culprit IMO based on his own verbalized projections and trumpted self-expectations juxtaposed with how he had an excuse every time.

He failed. He has gone. As The Beatles once wrote "Hello, Goodbye"!

Let's put it that way: it shouldn't be up to the players whether the manager gets the sack or not. I don't think anyone thought Mourinho had a future at the club beyond the end of the season. What bothers me is the idea that someone from the board would actually ask the players (any player, for that matter) how they feel about the manager.

We had that a lot in the 90s, when we sacked manager after manager and a couple of days later, you had Ferdinand, Armstrong or even Espen Baardsen in the press saying the guy wasn't good enough anyway (as if they were...). Of course, these days, nobody's dumb enough to pat themselves on the back publicly for having a manager out but I do believe that directly asking the players sends the wrong message even more so since (unlike many people on here, I admit) you don't feel they're all that special.

What did Espen Baardsen say? As a caveat I should tell you he is a friend of mine and I know his time at the club very well.

IF, as I suspect you are referring to The Sun backpage, he was taken wildly out of context and stitched up.

Yet when Poch was here they complained they were too intense.

A squad of Goldilocks.

So what we have is s ome players who complained about Pochs training sessions being too hard and now we had s ome players complaining that the training under Jose was boring. Funny that a lot of those players were here under both managers. I really hope that whoever the new manager is going to be he gets rid of the same players who have helped get both Poch and Jose sacked. Wasters who have got them both sacked.

And yet they still played well enough to get to the Champions League Final. For a squad of supposedly weak minded layabouts that was a pretty good achievement given that several of them are quite limited players at this level.

Complaining is part of life, Levy is far to shrewd to take account of complaining, lots of people fudging complain. Problems only arise when players don’t follow your instructions, not sure that we have evidence of players wilfully ignoring the coaches. From the article above it sounded more like Jose’s mind games were destabilising the squad and not in a positive”let’s shake them up” way. Imagine having a boss whose main motivational tactic is to wind you up in the hope of getting a reaction. I am sure there is some truth in those observation given the up and down form of so many players.

It is too easy to pile in on the players and blame them for the way our season has gone, when tbh the coaching staff looked bereft of ideas during games. We have some limited players for sure, but we also have some super talented ones and bar Harry Kane, no one was really giving a good account of themselves at the end. I think we just have to accept Jose was not up to the job and hopefully the next manager, with a few more additions can lift this team although I am sure some players will still complain.

Last edited:
Back