• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Hill RIP

Gilzeantoscore

Justin Edinburgh
Just heard that Jimmy Hill has died, a real stalwart of the game. The Chin as he was affectionately known made up my earliest memories of the game on TV. He used to drive my old man nuts because of the drivel he spouted. Was central to the improved wages of pros in the 60's too. RIP Jimmy.

He was central to a fair few revolutionary elements within the game, three points for a win being one of them I believe?

Very much a part of my childhood watching the game, along with Saint and Greavsie. Loved some of his eccentricities on MOTD, and Spitting Image did a great impression of him as well.

He will be remembered as a proper football man. RIP.

Also had something to do with Footballers now being on a stupid amount of money didn't he?

Also had something to do with Footballers now being on a stupid amount of money didn't he?

He was chairman of the PFA and was responsible for the removal of the maximum wage. There were several decades between that and the insane amounts of money that modern footballers earn.

I can honestly say that, throughout my youth, I was never a fan of Jimmy Hill. But over time, that view softened until now, when I can say this man made a wonderful contribution to football. Saddest thing is that we had to learn that such a bright mind was brought down by Alzheimer's. Dealing with it in my family. Such a sad thing.

That said, I smirked with glee years back listening to Scottish fans at the '86 World Cup in Mexico singing "We hate Jimmy Hill, he's a poof, he's a poof." I bet Jimmy loved that. It just showed they were paying attention to what he was saying.

RIP, Jimmy Hill. You were an original, never to be replaced.

He used to drive me mad as a pundit, but he's an important part of the game's history. I believe that he introduced 3 points for a win (as opposed to 2 points), which is probably one of the biggest changes ever made to the game.

He used to drive me mad as a pundit, but he's an important part of the game's history. I believe that he introduced 3 points for a win (as opposed to 2 points), which is probably one of the biggest changes ever made to the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_points_for_a_win#History

The system was proposed for the English Football League by Jimmy Hill.[5] It was introduced in England in 1981,[2] but did not attract much use elsewhere until it was used in the 1994 World Cup finals.

Strange it happened that early, I was only a kid but it seemed such a good, obvious move... even a kid could see it!

Back