• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Quite possibly, my point was that there are deals out there to be had that could improve our squad, if you care to look, but Traore aside we don’t seem to be making much of an effort.

given the gaps and deficiencies in our squad, some of them very long-standing, you’d think more effort would be made now that we have a truly elite manager.

Again, sure, improve our squad.

Even if we're willing to back Conte more financially than previous managers we'll have limited funds. We need to find very good deals, either top class, potential top class or good value for money. And they have to fit the Conte system.

Woods, Trippier, Coutinho. Meh for me.

I get what you are saying but i can imagine the bitching/crying from our fans IF we had signed the two bolded ones.

Why would people be bitching over wood?

10 PL goals a season for past 4 season
Different type of striker than we have.
Home grown
Would be happy to be a squad player at a bigger club.

Home grown

I don't think so. He came through at Cambridge FC (Waikato, New Zealand), not Cambridge United

Honestly
Wood is a good player and effective with it. He occupies the CBS he plays against which is more than anyone in our team does other than Kane
Trippies crossing would be a huge huge benefit to a conte team

Regretfully Kane is no longer up for a battle with the opposing centre halves. He drops deep to get away from their attentions now. He doesn't even close down like he used to. Would be much better deployed in a Sherringham role alongside a top centre forward, who would do all the hard yards thereby freeing Kane up to do what he does best - scoring goals.

Honestly
Wood is a good player and effective with it. He occupies the CBS he plays against which is more than anyone in our team does other than Kane
Trippies crossing would be a huge huge benefit to a conte team

We will disagree, Wood is a long ball team man and he is good in the air i grant you. As for Trippier you must remember the stick he was getting from a section of our fans before we sold him, bringing him back here would not go down well. IMO

Hopefully we would all get behind any Conte signing. It’s the best chance that we have, even if the signing isn’t necessarily the one that we want. I think Wood is underrated but at 30+ the deal isn’t one that we were ever likely to complete. He’s a striker who with service can score 15+ a season at a good club.

I will get behind any player we sign ( same as you), said it earlier he is a long ball team player and he is good at what he does but we do not play that way and for 20 million he would ( imo) not be worth the fee.

Home grown

He looks good for Burnley who play to his strengths ( ie long ball over the top and into the box) we do not play that way under Conte and i hope we never do. 20million could be better spent/ towards a player who can give us more.imo

I understand that reservation but maybe he thrives that way as that’s the system Burnley plays. Maybe if he joined us we would play as we do, and then he’s an outlet for long passes, and we know we used to appreciate Alderweireld’s longer passes, in addition to Wood having been good in other ways. From what I’ve seen yes, he’s a target man striker, but he’s also good as a forward. I think to say he can only play one way might be being overly harsh on him.
If Conte signs a player then it’s because he thinks that the player will fit our system.
As we didn’t sign him then all talk is moot but just saying I think he isn’t just a long ball striker but we’ll see what Saudi Sportswashing Machine do with him.

I must confess I am both surprised and disappointed that half way into January we have still have not signed a player, particularly when you consider the obvious deficiencies in our team.

We have quite a full squad. Might well just be that we need to shift players before we bring some in. I think we'll end up with Traore + 1-2 others assuming we can offload some

I also think we'll find takers for GLC, Doherty and maybe Tubby (loan). We could probably find a loan taker for Rodon though doubt we'd do that unless we're signing another CB

I think Levy has to cut losses on our dross. Sell them at reduced prices to get them out of the squad, reduce the wage bill and ‘start fresh’.

I think Levy has to cut losses on our dross. Sell them at reduced prices to get them out of the squad, reduce the wage bill and ‘start fresh’.

He will. But we'll get a respectable fee for GLC, and we showed with Aurier in the summer that we can take a more pragmatic approach

He will. But we'll get a respectable fee for GLC, and we showed with Aurier in the summer that we can take a more pragmatic approach

You can say that hindsight is 20/20, but it was obvious in the summer that Aurier was a better player than Doherty, and now when you consider we are playing with wingbacks he would have been a perfect fit. Instead of paying him off I think it would have made more sense to keep Aurier for a final season and then let him leave on a free.

Aurier was even good under Mourinho. I think he was definitely better than Emerson Royal has shown himself to be so far. Yes, Aurier made mistakes, who hasn’t? As for Doherty… why the fudge did Conte play him left back against Chelsea when it had already been established that he can’t play left back. I would have preferred a left footed anyone there than Right Foot Only Doherty.

Back