1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Jan Vertonghen

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by glorygloryeze, 15 Feb 2012.

1. mephitis

mephitis Steed Malbranque

Proud to say I was at Carlisle when he scored his first goal for us and proud that Belgium's most capped player chose to spend the best years of his career at our club.

Love ya mate!

2. Sandman

Sandman Young-Pyo Lee

Such a class player. Very sad to see him leave. I agree with the sentiment that it seems he realized he did not have the pace any more for the Premier League. So he bows out with his head held high. He can still operate at a very high level in another league for sure. Really sad he did not get a real send off. He deserved that. Will go down in my top 5 CB's to play for the club in my time for sure.

90291Spur and yiddo37 like this.
  3. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

Nice words

spurspinter1 and harr1984 like this.
  4. DaveT316

DaveT316 Wilson Palacios

Randomly I once had the pleasure of meeting him after a game when I luckily scooped a ticket into the players’ lounge - a truly unforgettable experience.

It was a brief exchange, but one I’ll always remember - mainly because after a walk across the pitch on leaving the lounge, I awkwardly left him wrestling with his daughter’s pram in the players’ carpark.

He later told the friend I was with - who was friends with him - to apologise to me for not saying ‘goodbye’ properly! What a gent - I have always held him close to my heart since then and I’ll miss him greatly.

Good luck Super Jan and thanks for the memories. You’ve played a huge part in making the most enjoyable period of my Spurs supporting life the most enjoyable period of my Spurs supporting life.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2020
    monkeybarry, harr1984 and DeanoAustin like this.
  5. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

As good as Jan was, better than Ledley? No one comes close for me.

metalgear and El Guepardo like this.
  6. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

As well as being a great player and (by the sounds of things) a nice fella, Jan could also be dirty and cynical in a way that we too often haven't been as a club. He'd have been even better than he was under Mourinho if Jose had arrived a few years earlier. When Mourinho said we have to be c**ts, Jan was that when he had to be. And an intelligent c**t too.

7. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

I did think about it before saying what i did, i agree Ledley was great but for me Jan just topped him. Mind you if King had not suffered so much with injurys he may have gone onto become even better. As we know he suffered from injurys which must have stopped him from being even better then he was.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2020
  8. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Big call but not an outrageous call by any means.

9. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

I'm a big fan of the idea of having Jan back as a 1st team coach or something along those lines when the timing is there. Depending on what he wants to do of course, the club could look to put him on a Scott Parker like path once his top level playing days are over. I guess the immediate question is whether now is the time to go back to Ajax or is there maybe a (no disrespect intended to Ajax) higher profile move before that?

2 years - Roma
    1 year - Ajax
    6 years later - Leads Spurs to PL title + FA cup double with Georges-Kévin Nkoudou as assistant manager

It's nice to dream sometimes.

Anyways, I don't know if there was another thread that I may have missed but I just wanted to post in appreciation of his immaculate service for the club. Slightly sombre thinking we won't see another SuperJan celebration at the lane. A stalwart through and through, heroic defending whilst being elegant to watch. Was very happy to sign him alongside our other long fancy name slick haired CB and what a partnership did they turn out to be. Giving us, Spurs fans of all people, the opportunity to see the team become one of the best defensive units in the league for at least a few seasons.

Was it the Dortmund game where he absolutely killed it from left back? A quick point on his versatility, unless I'm mistaken we never did see him in a DM role which is a shame but perhaps he wasn't suited; even still filling in at LB was crucial at times. I don't remember how he did in the end of season awards but I think it was often the case that he was our most reliable defender, even during AVB times when things were occasionally a bit dicey around him.

Thanks Jan, sounds like a proper gent and a great bloke to have had around the club for so long. Can't imagine there's a proper Spurs fan out there that wouldn't wish him anything but the best, hope he shows his face occasionally at the new stadium when possible. I will say there is without doubt a tinge of regret that he didn't lift a trophy during his time here, but I appreciate at this stage in his career he could potentially go to Juve for example and a title will be nailed on, alongside a whole different culture and footballing experience that I wouldn't begrudge him of by any means. Best of luck to the bestest Dutchest CB we've ever had and hopefully we'll see him in a bit!

Raziel, spurrrr, DubSpur and 7 others like this.
  10. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Amen brother.

11. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Chris Perry

Just imagine them as a pair!

12. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Vedran Corluka

13. FatBloke

FatBloke Allan Nielsen

Strange. I thought it was spelled A-j-a-x.

14. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

What a lovely place in Portugal to finish off your career

ricky2tricky4city and DaveT316 like this.
  15. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

Was just thinking that. 3 years in a nice slow league, easy qualification each year for Europe, lovely weather and a top pad in the algarve to boot!

Well deserved Super Jan!

milo and MKSpur like this.
  16. Baleforce

Baleforce Steve Archibald

3 years!

17. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

18. Yiddo

Yiddo Steffen Iversen

So the guy gives information that various different sources have already reported then makes up some flimflam just after to try and make it look legit. What a tosser.

19. Seedy Ron

Seedy Ron Steve Carr

If the contract hasn't been signed, it's not a done deal. Here we go.

20. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

Think it might be Cascais......coastal sanctuary for the Lisbonites

Moby likes this.